Which camera to buy?

sarapm.1360

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi dear all,
Photography is my main hobby. Since long time I've taken photos using compact cameras (sony, canon). I wanna buy a new canon with exchangable lense. Since i have no experience about such camera, it would be nice if you can give me some advice.
My preferences: economical (student budget), lense for macro and archtecture-photography (wide lense), long term support of accesories :)

Thanks in advance
Regatds
Sara

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Define "economical" in your terms.

We need an idea of what country you're in and what kind of price you're thinking of. Even if its only a rough value we really need some idea. There is a huge variation in costs and you can get stuff (esp if you second hand) very cheaply - all the way up to hundreds to thousands of $/£. So we need some baseline to work from to make suggestions from.

Also it helps if you can give an idea of what you find lacking in your current camera and in what you're hoping from an upgrade.

Hi Sara,

I'd reccomend a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS HSM Contemporary for your lens and team it up with a basic body with whatever you have left in your budget. The reason I suggest this lens is that it has a fairly wide angle to telephoto, fast at the wide end (good option for low light), short 0.22mm minimum focusing distance (while not quite a 1:1 macro you can still get some decent shot with this lens) and its pretty sharp. It's also reasonably cheap as far as lenses go. Its a pretty good all rounder and should cover the bases you want in one lens. You could allways look at adding an ultrawide and a proper 1:1 macro later on. Canon sensors at the entry level cameras are pretty similar and really need updated, but even a basic model should keep you occupied while you learn the basics.

Unless you can afford a 6D in which case get that.

What's your budget?

Are you open to other camera makers or limiting yourself to Canon only ?

Cheap Canon.. I'd go with the Rebel series.

As for macro lens. If you want to go really cheap (and this is what I do), buy a macro reverse ring for about $20 and put one of your lenses on there backwards. Works pretty great if you don't mind getting super up close to your subjects.

Last edited:
The OP didnt limit this to Canon ? He mentioned Sony and Canon, but thats just the compact cameras. There is no connection between the system cameras and compact cameras of these or any other companies.

Since Nikon is currently overall cheaper (thanks to chinese slave labor) and has an older mount (which means more old used lenses, especially also manual ones which are almost unknown for Canon), I would suggest considering them too ?

However, for architecture Canon has two strong arguments: a really cheap high image quality wide angle lens (the new EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS) and the optically superior tilt/shift (less CA problems than the Nikon counterparts, also a 17mm t/s thats missing in Nikons lineup), which however are probably of no practical importance to the OP right now.

I would also like to point out that the OP didnt demand first class autofocus in low light ... thus mirrorless system cameras would be theoretically an option, too. I just cant think of one that would be an improvement over the Nikon and Canon offerings. Micro Four Thirds could probably work pretty well, but hey have a small sensor.

Hi dear all,
I wanna buy a new canon with exchangable lense.
I believe OP is very clear about her wish to get a Canon and I am just wondering if she is willing to entertain ideas from other camera makers.

Hey thank you all
I am only looking for canon an want to spend about 500 euro only for camera ( excl. Lense)
Which models are existing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canon T5 maybe ?
Most basic DSLR in current Canon camera lineup.

Canon's system has some ranges for different types of markets and budgets.

The "Rebel" line is the entry level line. Just about once per year, they update the line by offering some new body and sometimes (but not always) remove something from the line. So this year's new announcements in the line are the Rebel T6i and T6s. Last year it was the T5i and T5, the year before it was the T4i, the year before it was the T3i and T3, and so on.

In Canon's "Rebel" model naming convention, the cameras that have no letter suffix after the number are intended as the low end of the their entry-level. These are their most affordable cameras. The models with a suffix are at the high end of the entry-range.

Thus the T5 is Canon's latest most-affordable entry-level body (there is no T6... they usually only update that entry body every couple of years.... not every year.) The camera provides all the basic functions and, in this regard, will do as well for non-action photography.

The differences in the bodies is mostly features that don't contribute directly to image quality. For example... the higher end Rebel bodies have either more or better focus points (The T4i and T5i have 9 AF points but all points are "cross type" (double axis) focus points. On the T5 (no "i" suffix) the 9 AF points have only a center "cross type" point and the remaining 8 points are single-axis points.) The T5i has a capacitive touch-screen LCD. The T5 is just a normal LCD (not touch-sensitive.) The more expensive bodies tend to have a fast continuous burst frame rate -- handy for action photography... but of no use for architecture (unless you're shooting during an earthquake, the buildings are usually not moving.)

However, when it comes to the camera's imaging sensor... it's the same sensor on the T5 as it is on the T5i (the T6i and T6s did get a newer sensor and it's the first time Canon has changed the sensor on a Rebel body in the past 3 years.)

A T5 with "kit" lens (that's the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II) is $399 (retail). It will include everything except the memory card.

Incidentally... if you shop around... I would stay away from "bundles". Other than a few notable vendors such as B&H Photo or Adorama, who will package some reasonable bundles (include a cheap basic camera bag, maybe a spare battery, etc.) there are vendors who will create bundles to pump-up the perceived value of the offer with lots of extras. They might include spare "lenses" (which aren't true lenses... they screw onto the front of the real camera lenses and are usually junk-grade quality), "filters" (which are junk quality filters), etc. But everything is pretty much garbage.

A cheap camera bag might be handy to have... a spare battery might be nice (although batteries on DSLRs last a LONG time... not like batteries on a point & shoot. You have to be shooting QUITE heavily with a camera to kill the battery inside a day.)

Are you open to other camera makers or limiting yourself to Canon only ?
Were you going to recommend Nikon because that would be a surprise
D3200 or a6000 both in price range and both excellent and in my opinion have better sensors then a Rebel camera but that's just my opinion .
You know Gary you will always be my favorite film buddy (thank god I have only one film buddy!).

Most reactions

Back