Which Camera

I buy most of my camera gear from B&H. I do buy some things from Amazon because of the free shipping, but I don't like how they pack the boxes so I don't buy lenses or bodies from them.

Samanax, I see you have an xti. are you happy with it. i think i like the xsi the best, with the nikon d60 second, but close. i saw a lot of people initially liked the xsi better, but changed their minds when the where able to put their hands on the two. It seems like a mixture of better features (xsi) vs. easier handling (d60). was yours easy to get used too?

also, to everyone, i like the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm-4-5-6-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B000ALLMI8/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2F14DW29FS9MO&colid=8DUDMX8A8H9E"]
41x3s9U8FxL._SL110_.jpg
[/ame] [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-70-300mm-4-5-6-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B000ALLMI8/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2F14DW29FS9MO&colid=8DUDMX8A8H9E"]Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG APO Macro Telephoto Zoom Lens[/ame]

with the xsi kit. does this seem like a decent combo for a beginner?

Samanax, I see you have an xti. are you happy with it.
Yes, I'm happy with it. Of course I'm always looking at the better Canon bodies (40D, 50D, 5D, 5D MkII, 1D Mk III, 1Ds Mk III)...but I won't upgrade until my shooting skills improve enough to justify the upgrade. I will buy better glass first.
i think i like the xsi the best, with the nikon d60 second, but close. i saw a lot of people initially liked the xsi better, but changed their minds when the where able to put their hands on the two. It seems like a mixture of better features (xsi) vs. easier handling (d60)
I bought my XTi a year ago and it was my first DSLR. When I was comparison shopping the only other camera I was looking at was a Nikon D40x. The Canon had better features and I kept hearing the Nikon D40 and D40x referred to as glorified P&S cameras (not sure what was meant by that) so I went with the XTi.
was yours easy to get used too?
I moved up from a Olympus C-750UZ P&S so I had to get used to using the viewfinder and the different controls but I eventually got used to it. I have small hands so the size really didn't bother me. But I really liked it after I put on the battery grip...that made a big difference in the feel of it. I can use most of the controls without having to look for them first.

For macro photography you want a prime (non zoom) lens and set of extension tubes or a bellows. An older, used, manual focus lens is fine as you will likely lose metering and focusing with the tubes/bellows anyway.

The tubes/bellows allow the lens to focus closer--at the cost of distance focusing.

The 105mm f4 micro nikkor ais; is an excellent macro lens and cost about half what the f2.8 costs--and you NEVER shoot macro under f4, trust me.

My "go to" camera for macro is the one I got in 1978....A Mamiya Sekor DTL 1000. This is a pure manual screw mount rather like a Spotmatic BUT the DTL 1000 has spot and avg meter, which helps in Macro. I have auto extension tubes, an Auto bellows, a tiny Kopil folding bellows, Novoflexar 100 mm + 135 mm Bellows lenses, a Schneider Keutznach 50 mm enlarger lens glued to a m42 extension tube and a SMC Takumar 135 Screw Mt, plus a LOT of other lenses.

Long ago I got a Sigma 135 1.8 in YS mount,and YS adapters for PK and Pentax screw (M-42) and found that anything screw mt screws into the PK adapter and becomes a virtual K Mount...so I CAN use my screw mt stuff on my ZX-5 Pentax...which enables me to also employ the TTL autoflash and slave my 283 Vivatar.

I Also use a Tamron SP 35-80 which is a great macro zoom,and sometimes the Tamron SP 60-300. These can be used on my M42, Pentax K or Nikon bodies......and are why if and when I get a DSLR..it's a Pentax. The Pentax K 10 D can use the full spectrum of Pentax type lenses including K mount and M42. Naturally.... you go Manual or aperture priority and man focus.

Virtually every other maker more or less abandoned early mounts...and those who used them. When Canon and Minolta went AF...all new mount and no good adapter. Nikon...SOME af bodies can use a N-ai lens. SOME digitals can use "film" AF lenses.

Pentax? Screw mt,K Mt,PK-A , F, FA, you can have Pentax's, a Chinon/Ricoh/Cosina...old screw mt Practica or Mamiya.....and swap lenses around.

If you don't go Pentax or Film.....Check out Tamron's 90 mm macro,the originals were adaptal mount,later versions added AF but were a specific mount. Great resolution. Actually.....if you DO go Film, the original SP 90 mm 2.5 is a GREAT macro. Vivitar Series One also had a great Macro 90 for film, and good Macro zooms.

I started out talking Mamiya DTL 1000. A DTL 1000, a set of auto extension tubes, a NON auto bellows and a SMC Takumar screw mt 135 can out macro MOST stuff you spend $500+ for.....and would total UNDER $100 on ebay,maybe as little as $80 including shipping. I've won blue ribbons with that stuff.

have either of you compared photo elements 7 to PE 6? I read that a lot of people feel that 7 is slower, and buggy. But those reviews were from October, and some of that may have been worked out. I also read that you really need to try to get some literature from the library (like photoshop for dummies) in order to really *get* it.

I highly recommend Ulead Photoimpact. It's a bit like Photoshop but I found it easier to learn and faster to use. I go ther older versaion with a scanner years ago, upgraded to a recent one...actually still use the old one mostly. My hobby is collecting LIVE music,Rock,jazz, a lot of bluegerass...unreleased stuff. I make all my own covers in photoimpact and even the label which i print on an Epson that prints direct to CD. I've done about 2000 CDs.

Probably I SHOULD by now switch to Photoshop...but now I know PhotoImpact so well...it would take a couple years to get as good in another ap.

Both my sister and my wife have the D40 and seem pretty happy with it. Neither of them use it for Macro work however but the camera body has the functionality to do so.

Personally, I am going to buy the D40 when I starting taking photography lessons in the spring. It is a pretty good starting camera that can us Noobs learn the ISO/F-stops. I am still not sure what lens to buy with the camera?

Any suggestions?

Rem, most of your stuff went over my head. I really don't know much about cameras or photography. What would you type in for a search on ebay or amazon to find a prime lens with tubes and bellows? I've tried amazon and found mostly books, and only a few lenses.

What would you type in for a search on ebay or amazon to find a prime lens with tubes and bellows? I've tried amazon and found mostly books, and only a few lenses.
You have to buy everything separately. You select the prime lens you want to use and then do a search for Kenko Tubes and then look for the ones that fit your camera.

Not sure about the bellows though...didn't know they were available for DSLRs.

Get a USED D50 or D80. While the D40 and D60 are fine cameras, you will begin to appreciate the ability to use older, non AF-S lenses which are cheaper and more varied.

Wow! If you don't just give up after reading this thread, you have the determination to become a fine photographer. - TF

Last edited:
Hi Everyone!!

I'm new to the world of photography as well. I've always known this is what I was meant to do because I have such a strong passion for it but now that I've decided to join in I'm all so confused. I've read review after review after review on cameras. I'm torn betweent he Nikon D90 and the Canon Rebel XSi for a starter camera. Should I step down and find a smaller starter camera? I just want a great camera to take pictures of EVERYTHING. I love portraits, landscape, black and whites, and abstract. I need an all purpose lens as well...Any suggestions?

Hi Everyone!!

I'm new to the world of photography as well. I've always known this is what I was meant to do because I have such a strong passion for it but now that I've decided to join in I'm all so confused. I've read review after review after review on cameras. I'm torn betweent he Nikon D90 and the Canon Rebel XSi for a starter camera. Should I step down and find a smaller starter camera? I just want a great camera to take pictures of EVERYTHING. I love portraits, landscape, black and whites, and abstract. I need an all purpose lens as well...Any suggestions?
Please start your own thread. You'll get more responses that way.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I think I've got it down to a pretty good starter kit that my wife and I can both use. This is probably the most helpful forum I've ever been on.:D

Most reactions

Back