Which crop has more impact?

Of the 2, the closer crop is my choice. If #1 showed even a longer view of him. I would probably switch it it. The sporran at the very bottom of the frame I think draws attention.

"If you're pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough!" Okay, I can't actually move closer, but I can crop... I think I've got it!

Edited to add: I know there's other to work on, I'm just trying to nail the crop first.

_DSC6259B_WEB.jpg

Last edited:
I think the first photo, the ever-so-slightly wider-angle view of the man, is the image with greater impact.

I have not read any of the other peoples' comments on this, but I expect that there could be a strong case made for either picure being higher in impact than the other one.

Last edited:
I like better that the first one shows the setting because it seems significant to the image. The second one makes him too crammed in the frame, maybe because it was cropped so you could sort of see the background but not really so I'm going, what's back there exactly? (Even though I know from the first picture, if that made sense.) I seem to often want something in the frame or out, not partway in.

The third one's not bad if you want a close up portrait of just him because not enough of the background is showing to be distracting. The first one makes more sense because of what he's wearing; it puts the kilt into perspective I guess (because here those are rarely worn so it would make me wonder why is someone wearing a kilt?). I guess it's somewhat what you bring to the photo as a viewer. And how/why you're going to use the photo.

I reread the first post - dedication of a memorial. So I'd use the first one because it shows that it was that type event.

Beautifully done, by the way.

Personally, #2 works best for me. My eye keeps being drawn to the background in the first. There is no distraction in the second.

To my eye the background is quite busy feeling and the blobs are big and distinct enough to be seen as people and something going on. For this reason I find that the first photo works better because it tells more of a story of the moment. You've got the impact of your subject in the main view; whilst in the background a bit more detail to show that its an event - an in-situ shot taken at an event that the main subject is clearly a part of.
You've also go the tattoo, a hint of personality and in such a visible spot likely a key part of this person as a whole to those who know him

I think the second shot would work better if it were more standard-portrait against a fully diffused backdrop; or against a static scene such as a building/landscape.

I also agree that the kilt being evident in the first shot helps; its part of the subjects story and clearly is important to the uniform he's dressed in

Thanks all... after much reflection, I've come to the conclusion that this is two images; one will be as-shot (#1) and the other will be a close up of this "sergeant-major face" (#3). Very much appreciate all the input.

I agree this type of shot should be two images.

Personally I like the tighter crop but depending on the image use (Persons Bio showing heritage) the first crop would be more appropriate.

The first one tells me where he is and second one tells me who he is.

For I like portrait photo mor, 2nd is my choice.

I didn't see this asked already - can you back out a bit on the first crop? I think the bottom of the photo cutting off the whatever that's called in front of the kilt is the distraction. If you're using that looser crop as the non portrait event photo then I think more of the background and more of the body may make it a better companion for the portrait crop.

I prefer the 2nd image.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back