Which film do you recommend?

sultan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm a noob with film (shot only digital before). I'm looking for some good quality film to use in my K1000 that can be processed anywhere (i.e. even in grocery stores). I need ISO 100, 200, and 400 film. What films do you recommend?

P.S. I like shooting both B&W and Colour, so basically suggest any good film that can be processed at a grocery store.

Last edited:
I don't think they make a bad film today, so you might as well buy the film where you're getting it processed, though b&w might have to be sent out.

Do you want cheap? or is it ok to pay a little more for better quality?

Cheap, but still good = Fuji Superia 400, Fujicolor 200
Better quality= Fuji Reala 100, Fuji 400H, Kodak Portra 160 and 400

Kodak BW400CN. C41 process can be done anywhere that one hours color. And film that has a little box with C41 is good for what you are looking for. For starters, I would suggest house brands until you get the feel of the place (film) and then you can branch out and experiment.

Fuji Velvia 50. It's high saturation and resolution slide film and Walmart has never turned me away. It is E6 process, and therefore needs to be sent out at most places, but even Wally world sends it somewhere that does a good job. I love Velvia 50 like most everyone else and I use it in 135, 120 and 4x5, but I only use it for landscapes.

My other favorite is Kodak TMAX 400 bw. Awesome general use black and white film.

As far as C-41 processing goes, I second the Fuji Superia 400 and Kodak BW400CN. Just avoid any Kodak ISO >800 color film. In my experience it never comes close to good color rendition.

Last edited:
As you can see, film type is pretty subjective. People like different films. The best thing to do is buy some, try it, see if you like it. If you do, buy more, if you don't, try other films until you find something you do like.

I would not get anything ISO800. I don't know if anyone even makes any anymore. ISO800 in your house brands like generic sold in drug and department stores is ISO400 film with ISO800 DX-coded canisters so it tells you camera and the processer to expose/process your ISO400 film at ISO 800.

It appears that everyone likes different films. I'll give them all a try and see which ones I like. I've shot a roll of Kodak 100UC today. I also bought a roll of Kodak Portra 800. It's probably very grainy but I'm curious how it is. I'll probably give Velvia and BW400CN a try next, and maybe also see how cheap film does.

i love lots of films . . .

fuji tungstan balanced 125 slide film, tmax 100, trix 400 (from 125-3200), velvia, kodak ir, there is a fuji 160 film that i like lots . . . its all about what i am doing. my suggestion is to use as many as you can, the only film i'm going to dog is the c-41 bw films, if your going to shoot black and white, shoot black and white. its easy to develop trix, and easy to shoot, i would start with that if teaching someone how to use film.

the film world is huge, and you can do soooooooooooooo much with it, there is no wrong place to start, and you undoubtedly will discover something you like.

DEVELOPING YOUR OWN BW FILM IS CHEAP AND EASY (ish) it may not be perfect the first few times, but anyone can get it, and i find it pretty rewarding.

Fuji Velvia 50. It's high saturation and resolution slide film and Walmart has never turned me away. It is E6 process, and therefore needs to be sent out at most places, but even Wally world sends it somewhere that does a good job. I love Velvia 50 like most everyone else and I use it in 135, 120 and 4x5, but I only use it for landscapes.

My other favorite is Kodak TMAX 400 bw. Awesome general use black and white film.

As far as C-41 processing goes, I second the Fuji Superia 400 and Kodak BW400CN. Just avoid any Kodak ISO >800 color film. In my experience it never comes close to good color rendition.

Sounds like we have similar taste in film, any time i take a vacation i use Velvia 50, great film like you said for saturation, i find it to be a more cool film, awesome for greens and blues.
i also like fuji 1600 in color and in black and white, the black and white fuji has really nice grain. i also use Kodak Tmax 100, 400, and 3200. all great films, Tmax 100 is very smooth.

Obviously there are a million answers (or at least as many as there are films...), but for a one-word answer I would say

Fuji Reala.

Not necessarily my favorite film overall but as a no-brainer it's hard to argue with and for many it is their favorite.

I would also suggest dropping the ISO 200 idea, there are no good 200 films, nor IMO is there a situation where either a 100 or a 400 wouldn't be better.

At 400 I like either of the pro colour print films, Portra or Fuji Pro 400H.

In black and white there are not so many bad films, only different. I'd stay away from the C-41's although obviously they meet your "process anywhere" requirement. For good results I'd go with a true B&W and find a place locally that can do it or send it out.

Dave

Actually, Fuji 800z is a great film. I use it occasionally. I like it better than the Kodak 800 films.

Most reactions

Back