Which good mid-range camera and lens should i buy?

manuel87roma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there! I would like to sell my canon eos t1i and buy a new one, mid range, i can’t spend too much money.. my porpose would be taking potrait photo and fast action shots of dancers dancing on indoor stage.. which camera and lens would you suggest me to buy?
What are the prices?

Thanks in advance

Hi there! I would like to sell my canon eos t1i and buy a new one, mid range, i can’t spend too much money.. my porpose would be taking potrait photo and fast action shots of dancers dancing on indoor stage.. which camera and lens would you suggest me to buy?
What are the prices?

Thanks in advance

We need a budget from you.

Mid range could be defined as anywhere from $1000 to $3500 for a camera body. Lenses could be anywhere from $250-5000.

Without a budget in mind you aren’t going to get good answers.

What are the prices?

Thanks in advance

We need a budget from you.

Mid range could be defined as anywhere from $1000 to $3500 for a camera body. Lenses could be anywhere from $250-5000.

Without a budget in mind you aren’t going to get good answers.

You are right sorry, well i would like to spend max a 1000 ish dollars or less for both.. even used ones. I’m not a pro and i cant spend too much money on it.
But as long as you guys could help me in what i need.. what the purposes are would be much appreciated.

I don’t know canon very well as I’m a Nikon shooter.

$1000 is going to be a tight budget for a camera body and a lens. In the Nikon world you could get a used D7100 body for $500 or so and then have another $500 or so for a lens. Maybe something along the lines of a sigma 17-50 2.8 OS.

$1000 is going to be a tight budget for a camera body and a lens. In the Nikon world you could get a used D7100 body for $500 or so and then have another $500 or so for a lens. Maybe something along the lines of a sigma 17-50 2.8 OS.

It doesn’t seem bad, do you think with this lens would i be able to shoot fast dancers in indoor stage? Is it going to have fast shutter speed ? And as well, you think is good for nice potrait photoshoots?

also forgot to say that i would like a wifi camera so i can easy transfer the photos to my phone

It doesn’t seem bad, do you think with this lens would i be able to shoot fast dancers in indoor stage? Is it going to have fast shutter speed ? And as well, you think is good for nice potrait photoshoots?

also forgot to say that i would like a wifi camera so i can easy transfer the photos to my phone
That camera can do quite lot, so it will not be the limiting factor. A 2.8 lens may or may not be fast enough for capturing motion in dim light.

If you can use flash, you can "freeze" motion. If you want to see some motion blur, then either a 2.8 or a 1.4 lens. There is quite a gulf between capturing dancers moving and portraiture. Portraiture usually calls for the use of additional lighting.

Tell us more. Show us what you've done so far.

That camera can do quite lot, so it will not be the limiting factor. A 2.8 lens may or may not be fast enough for capturing motion in dim light.

If you can use flash, you can "freeze" motion. If you want to see some motion blur, then either a 2.8 or a 1.4 lens. There is quite a gulf between capturing dancers moving and portraiture. Portraiture usually calls for the use of additional lighting.

Tell us more. Show us what you've done so far.

Yeah i know they are two different way to shoot but i just need something that can meet my needs in between.. I would like to catch moments and quality similar to these attached and maybe better with more light coming through the lens so better aperture i guess (f)..
IMG_3716.JPG
IMG_3730.JPG

I didn’t take this photos, actually that one is me performing but anyway the camera used for these shots was:
CANON EOS 5D mark lll
EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM

What you think about this one? Is it a good deal for what i need?
IMG_7348.JPG

Nikon body with an 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G lens, or a 50mm f/ 1.8 lens would be a good lower-budget start; with a 24-megapixel Nikon you could crop-in on shots made with the 50 or 85mm lenses. Nikon just for the superior low-light and High-ISO performance, and the extreme file recoverability.

Bodies? Budget is lowish, so D700 full-frame, D600 full-frame, D800 used (I bought a D800 for $795 last month with 38k clicks on it); lenses? 50/1.8 AF-D for $95 or less...

85/1.8 AF-S G is an _____extremely_____ sharp lens, one of the Top 10 lenses on the market today as tested by DxO Mark on high-megapixel Nikon cameras...VERY crop-able...

Nikon body with an 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G lens, or a 50mm f/ 1.8 lens would be a good lower-budget start; with a 24-megapixel Nikon you could crop-in on shots made with the 50 or 85mm lenses. Nikon just for the superior low-light and High-ISO performance, and the extreme file recoverability.

Bodies? Budget is lowish, so D700 full-frame, D600 full-frame, D800 used (I bought a D800 for $795 last month with 38k clicks on it); lenses? 50/1.8 AF-D for $95 or less...

85/1.8 AF-S G is an _____extremely_____ sharp lens, one of the Top 10 lenses on the market today as tested by DxO Mark on high-megapixel Nikon cameras...VERY crop-able...

I was going to recommend the 85 over the sigma zoom, but I think I’d buy the zoom first.

Having *only* an 85mm lens, especially if he gets a dx camera, is pretty limiting.

I think I’d get a 7100 over a 700 at this point. The 700 is a great body but the sensor is getting pretty long in the tooth at this point, though still keeps up surprisingly well at high iso values.

The 85/1.8 is not a zoom one tho right? And the prices i found are over 300$

At your budget you’re going to have to take a compromise somewhere.

You want low light ability, you’re going to have to get a prime. You want zoom, you’re going to lose low light ability.

The sigma 50-100 1.8 would probably excel at what you want to do on a dx camera but it’s well out of your price range.

At your budget you’re going to have to take a compromise somewhere.

You want low light ability, you’re going to have to get a prime. You want zoom, you’re going to lose low light ability.

The sigma 50-100 1.8 would probably excel at what you want to do on a dx camera but it’s well out of your price range.

Yeah i know you are right but is there anything in between? A compromize that is not a prime lens because if i can’t zoom at all it might be a problem.

Ps: what you think about the CANON EOS REBEL sl2?

Derrel has nailed it. Read his suggestions again.

There is nothing wrong with the Nikon D7200, but it has a DX-sized sensor. There's nothing inherently wrong with a DX camera, but if you're going for low light performance, either get a "full frame" (an FX) camera, or for really low light performance, the DX-sized Nikon D500 is outstanding, but it is outside your budget.

The lenses that are bundled with the D7200 are not what you would call "fast" glass. I think you would be happier with either a 50mm 1.8 G or the 85 1.8 G for sharp, low-light photos. Depending on the space in which you have to work, an 85mm might be too long, but the 50mm could be the length to get.

In the sample photos above, (reference a DX camera, because that's what I use) an 85mm taking those shots, you might have to be in about row 15. For the 50mm, you might be in row 1 to get that shot. With a FX camera to get those shots, you might have to be in Row 10 with an 85mm, and in the orchestra when using a 50mm. These are just approximations. Your mileage will vary.

Does the Canon EOS Rebel sl2 have WiFi built in? My Nikon came bundled with a WiFi "dongle" that works, but I don't use it. You can purchase those dongles separately, but If you need it built in, then that will limit your choices. For instance; those full-frame cameras that Derrel suggested are actually above the "mid level" and more toward the pro level, but I don't think they include WiFi.

How important is WiFi? For me, getting better shots might be more important that being able to upload instantly. Besides; I like to look everything over carefully, and do some minor editing before I show anybody my photos.

Most reactions

Back