Which is the most Optically Outstanding Canon/Nikon Lens?

Which is the most Optically Outstanding Canon/Nikon Lens?

• Canon 300mm 2.8L IS

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Nikon 300mm 2.8G ED VR II

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Nikon 70-200mm 2.8G ED VR II

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Canon 200mm f/2L IS

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Nikon 200mm f/2.0G ED IF VR

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Canon 35mm 1.4L

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nikon 24mm 1.4G ED

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

Neil S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I thought it would be fun to vote on which lens is the most optically outstanding of the Nikon/Canon lenses.

I am only including a limited range 24-300mm, and current production lenses that I feel are contenders. I apoligize if I left out any lenses you felt should have been included.

The contenders:

Canon 300mm 2.8L IS
Nikon 300mm 2.8G ED VR II
Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II
Nikon 70-200mm 2.8G ED VR II
Canon 200mm f/2L IS
Nikon 200mm f/2.0G ED IF VR
Canon 35mm 1.4L
Nikon 24mm 1.4G ED

Edit: Feel free to tell us which Canon/Nikon lens you feel is best, even if it isn't on the list. Mostly I just want to discuss these 2 companies’ finest lenses, and their strengths and weaknesses.

Last edited:
Zeiss Lenses need to be on there unless you only want nikon and canon on the list.

Zeiss Lenses need to be on there unless you only want nikon and canon on the list.

Ya I felt that including all brands would be too much.

Canon and Nikon make some really fine lenses, and their AF can't really be challenged on their respective bodies.

Nikon's AF 85 mm f/1.4D Cream Machine!

Optically, for the $$$ the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5=4.6G VRII.

Derrel...where you at man?

I know you will have something to say on this one, and I am looking forward to your thoughts.

Nikon AF 85 mm f/1.4D Cream Machine!

For the $$$, the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5=4.6G VRII.

lol

You cant honestly say the Nikon 70-300 is a better lens than the ones I listed.

Edit: I realize you mean for the money.

Canon 135mm f/2 L

Ahh ya good one, I hear thats a really good lens.

What do you most like about it?

I hear its got very nice bokeh, and sharpness.

I own a lot of lenses, mostly Nikkors, and around 10 lenses in Canon EOS mount. I had to vote for the Nikkor 200mm f/2 VR lens because I think it is optically the most-outstanding lens I have ever used. Too bad it's such a monster in terms of weight...it gets left behind on many types of outings simply because it's so damned heavy and bulky. I think Canon's MP-E 65 1x-5x ultra-macro lens ought to be on this list--it's a killer optic!!!

I own a lot of lenses, mostly Nikkors, and around 10 lenses in Canon EOS mount. I had to vote for the Nikkor 200mm f/2 VR lens because I think it is optically the most-outstanding lens I have ever used. Too bad it's such a monster in terms of weight...it gets left behind on many types of outings simply because it's so damned heavy and bulky. I think Canon's MP-E 65 1x-5x ultra-macro lens ought to be on this list--it's a killer optic!!!

Thanks for your input.

Ya I figured you would say the Nikon 200mm f/2.

I would probably have to agree in all honesty from the things I have heard/read.

I voted for the Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS II thought lol, because its my baby!

I am going to have to look up the MP-E 65, as I don't really know anything about it....

What about the nikon 50mm F1.8 ? Sure its a 'cheap' lens but the optical quality is second to none.

Well Derrel actually owns a Nikon 200mm f/2, and he would disagree with you.

I would bet my life he owns a 50mm 1.8 too....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back