Which Nikon gives the best value for money ?

...i thought maybe he op was considering the 4 that he mentioned

You need to budget glass as well. If you spend all your money on a body and don't have money for a couple of nicer lenses (not all at once of course) you are not getting the full value of any camera body.
Figure 1/3 your budget on a body and the rest on glass. Of course you also need a tripod (and/or monopod), flashes, diffusers, mem cards, software, a computer, camera bags (yes more than one), lens cleaner, sensor cleaner, remote triggers, filters (just not a UV one please), extra batteries, monitor calibration kit, printer, ink, photo paper, matting and framing supplies, photo hosting site fees, replacement neck strap, hi speed internet access ....

I started out kidding a bit here, but it's actually painfully true. Can you get by with less? Of course. But you won't.

Have fun!

Refurbished D5100.... Cheap and a good sensor (Same as D7000).

You didn't say what you want to take pictures of, IMHO that is a huge factor in the camera.

If you want something not on your list... Nikon V1 for $299 is hard to beat right now.

If you're looking for value, make sure you buy used (regardless of brand/model). Cameras lose value FAST.

If you're buying used, make sure to test the camera extensively. For example, shoot a few frames at different ISOs with the lens cap on and then carefully inspect all the files for hot pixels. Some hot pixels are acceptable, but if you see a technicolor starry night you should look for a different camera :)

...For example, shoot a few frames at different ISOs with the lens cap on and then carefully inspect all the files for hot pixels. Some hot pixels are acceptable, but if you see a technicolor starry night you should look for a different camera :)

Good tip, never thought of that.

D4. You'll never want anything better.

He is asking for a value camera and you suggest a $6,000 body? I'm not sure that fits his requirements.

No, in his original post he asked for the best value for the money without giving a budget. That IS the D4 because sooner or later most of us will upgrade and then upgrade again and then upgrade again and then upgrade again.

D4. You'll never want anything better.

He is asking for a value camera and you suggest a $6,000 body? I'm not sure that fits his requirements.

No, in his original post he asked for the best value for the money without giving a budget. That IS the D4 because sooner or later most of us will upgrade and then upgrade again and then upgrade again and then upgrade again.

I think he implicitly gave his budget by listing the cameras he is considering and suggested the D600 would be stretching it... also mentioning he had a "limited" budget.

Last edited:
hands down - 5100. This camera was $875 a year ago and is now $550. It matches the 7000's sensor. A buyer can buy the camera, a speed light, a UV filter, a 55-200, and a Nikon wireless release and still walk out of the store for less money than a 7000 kit. For those who don't need or want all the bells and whistles of the more expensive body, they could do a whole lot worse than a 5100 kit.

I guess you'd also like me to tell you which food is the best. Or which car is the best? Or which ...

Go to a camera store. A CAMERA store, not Best Buy. Put your hands on several models, ask questions, play with it in the store, go home and read reviews online of the 2 or 3 models you liked in the store, look at your bank account...BUY.

No one here knows what you need.

You list both the D3100 and the D600 as models you're looking at. This tells me you have absolutely no idea what your needs or even wants are. We can't help you with that.

I don't like the small body SLR's. That's just me...
So if on a budget... D90... if you can spend more... D7000 or D300/s.... if you can spend even more.... D600

This tells me you have absolutely no idea what your needs or even wants are. We can't help you with that.

Not to mention the fact that any "value" you think you're getting will quickly disappear if you end up buying a body that does not meet your needs and upgrade sooner than you would have needed to otherwise.

Also consider buying used, you can spend the extra money for other things like lens and flashes. However make sure your buying from a reputable company or person.

I bought a D200 used and it works great, only issue is the rubber grips. got it for like $250.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back