Which zoom for my Canon T2i?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Lazy Photographer, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Lazy Photographer

Lazy Photographer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I recently purchased a Canon T2i with a Tameron 17-50mm F2.8 lens and now want a second, longer lens. I can't afford L glass or anything in that price range, unfortunately, so it's down to something in the hundreds of dollars range. I'm leaning toward the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, but I'd love something faster. It has to be image stabilized. I'd be happy with anything that starts at 50mm and reaches 200mm or better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

I believe anything with IS and faster than the EF-S lens you mentioned is going to be in the thousand new.

3. DerekSalem

DerekSalem TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    For the most part...

I do have a Sigma 18-200 OS (Sigma's image stabilization) that I'm actually selling right now. Either way Sigma and Tamron both make 18-200s with OS and used they only run around $350 or so. Definitely within your price range and will definitely fit the bill for what you're asking. Let me know if you're interested in picking one up -- I keep all of my stuff in immaculate condition.

4. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

But they are not FASTER :) and I would rather take the EF-S 55-250mm IS instead of the Sigma 18-200 OS because of the optical performance. :)

A Fast telephoto zoom lens with IS/OS/VC/VR is going to be expensive.

5. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Lenses of 200 mm and less, don't really need IS.

6. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The 55-250 is what, $250? I don't think you will find anything in that zoom range that is actually faster that this lens. f/4-5.6 is typical for non L lenses. I dont remember seeing a telephoto zoom that is say f/3.5-4.5 such as what you will find on shorter lenses.

You can up to the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS. Same aperture range, longer lens and better optics, still have IS. But it should run you $700.

Without IS, you can actually look at the 70-200 f/4 L. BH has this lens for $625. Adding IS will double the price. Do you need IS on a 70-200? Not necessarily, but it can help in situations. Maybe look at the used market for someone who has the 70-200 f/4 and is upgrading to a 70-200 with IS and is looking to sell their non IS lens

I dont know much about Sigma and Tamron telephotos, so not sure what options are out there. But again, with the budget for the 55-250, not sure you have much else choice other than that lens

7. Lazy Photographer

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone. After careful consideration, I think the call is the Canon 55-250 IS, since it's cheap and will make a nice entry level zoom for now. If I find I'm using it a lot and want better optics, then I'll consider something better down the road. It's on sale for $299 here in Toronto at the same shop where I bought my other gear and the guy promised me a deal if I pull the trigger in the near future.

8. ghache

ghache TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    you shouldnt put in your tittle its for a t2i,
    i know a crazy person (erose86) that is going to travel 12312312 miles and take it away from you. :lol::lol:

9. Lazy Photographer

Photos OK to edit
    That's a loooong way. Is he from Mars or something? :)

10. cfusionpm

cfusionpm TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^this. The 70-300 IS USM is an excellent lens as is the non-IS 70-200 f/4L. Depending on how badly you want IS, these two are probably your best options.

My 70-300 IS USM was the first lens I ever bought for my Rebel (after the bundled kit lens) and has served me very well for more than 3 years. Just recently, it was replaced with the AMAZING 70-200 2.8 IS II, but that one is a HUGE chunk of change. However, I have heard nothing but good things about the f/4L non-IS.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens Review