Which zoom for my Canon T2i?

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased a Canon T2i with a Tameron 17-50mm F2.8 lens and now want a second, longer lens. I can't afford L glass or anything in that price range, unfortunately, so it's down to something in the hundreds of dollars range. I'm leaning toward the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, but I'd love something faster. It has to be image stabilized. I'd be happy with anything that starts at 50mm and reaches 200mm or better.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I believe anything with IS and faster than the EF-S lens you mentioned is going to be in the thousand new.

I believe anything with IS and faster than the EF-S lens you mentioned is going to be in the thousand new.

For the most part...

I do have a Sigma 18-200 OS (Sigma's image stabilization) that I'm actually selling right now. Either way Sigma and Tamron both make 18-200s with OS and used they only run around $350 or so. Definitely within your price range and will definitely fit the bill for what you're asking. Let me know if you're interested in picking one up -- I keep all of my stuff in immaculate condition.

But they are not FASTER :) and I would rather take the EF-S 55-250mm IS instead of the Sigma 18-200 OS because of the optical performance. :)

A Fast telephoto zoom lens with IS/OS/VC/VR is going to be expensive.

...I'm leaning toward the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, but I'd love something faster. It has to be image stabilized. I'd be happy with anything that starts at 50mm and reaches 200mm or better.

The 55-250 is what, $250? I don't think you will find anything in that zoom range that is actually faster that this lens. f/4-5.6 is typical for non L lenses. I dont remember seeing a telephoto zoom that is say f/3.5-4.5 such as what you will find on shorter lenses.

You can up to the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS. Same aperture range, longer lens and better optics, still have IS. But it should run you $700.

Without IS, you can actually look at the 70-200 f/4 L. BH has this lens for $625. Adding IS will double the price. Do you need IS on a 70-200? Not necessarily, but it can help in situations. Maybe look at the used market for someone who has the 70-200 f/4 and is upgrading to a 70-200 with IS and is looking to sell their non IS lens

I dont know much about Sigma and Tamron telephotos, so not sure what options are out there. But again, with the budget for the 55-250, not sure you have much else choice other than that lens

Thanks everyone. After careful consideration, I think the call is the Canon 55-250 IS, since it's cheap and will make a nice entry level zoom for now. If I find I'm using it a lot and want better optics, then I'll consider something better down the road. It's on sale for $299 here in Toronto at the same shop where I bought my other gear and the guy promised me a deal if I pull the trigger in the near future.

you shouldnt put in your tittle its for a t2i,
i know a crazy person (erose86) that is going to travel 12312312 miles and take it away from you. :lol::lol:

...I'm leaning toward the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS, but I'd love something faster. It has to be image stabilized. I'd be happy with anything that starts at 50mm and reaches 200mm or better.

The 55-250 is what, $250? I don't think you will find anything in that zoom range that is actually faster that this lens. f/4-5.6 is typical for non L lenses. I dont remember seeing a telephoto zoom that is say f/3.5-4.5 such as what you will find on shorter lenses.

You can up to the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS. Same aperture range, longer lens and better optics, still have IS. But it should run you $700.

Without IS, you can actually look at the 70-200 f/4 L. BH has this lens for $625. Adding IS will double the price. Do you need IS on a 70-200? Not necessarily, but it can help in situations. Maybe look at the used market for someone who has the 70-200 f/4 and is upgrading to a 70-200 with IS and is looking to sell their non IS lens

I dont know much about Sigma and Tamron telephotos, so not sure what options are out there. But again, with the budget for the 55-250, not sure you have much else choice other than that lens

^this. The 70-300 IS USM is an excellent lens as is the non-IS 70-200 f/4L. Depending on how badly you want IS, these two are probably your best options.

My 70-300 IS USM was the first lens I ever bought for my Rebel (after the bundled kit lens) and has served me very well for more than 3 years. Just recently, it was replaced with the AMAZING 70-200 2.8 IS II, but that one is a HUGE chunk of change. However, I have heard nothing but good things about the f/4L non-IS.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM Lens Review

Most reactions

New Topics

Back