Who has nikon d3100?

Musicforever

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a nikon d3100, does anyone one know any interesting tricks on it? Thanks! Post.

I have a D3100 and im in the prosess of teaching it to fetch great photos, it can also sit up and stand on 3 legs as well.

OMG!

You can move the focus function from the shutter release button the the AE-L/AF-L button on the back of the camera.

You can use the built-in flash, white balance setting, and shutter speed to make really cool, professional type outside on location photos of your friends and family.

You can zoom the lens as you trip the shutter to make a really cool effect.

Check out all the cool tricks listed in the D3100 user's manual, starting on page 151.

Image overlay
D-lighting
Filter Effects
Fisheye
Color outline
and more.........................................................................................

OMG!

You can use the built-in flash, white balance setting, and shutter speed to make really cool, professional type outside on location photos of your friends and family.

I have a D3100 - I'm interested in this one. Do you have any setting suggestions or setting's that have worked for you in the past? Just wondering...

I love my D3100 - and will love it more as I learn to use it more and more each day :)

badbronco said:
I have a D3100 - I'm interested in this one. Do you have any setting suggestions or setting's that have worked for you in the past? Just wondering...

I love my D3100 - and will love it more as I learn to use it more and more each day :)

Your settings are determined by your scene. Everything KmH wrote can be found in your manual.

OMG!

Well you have to gain a good understanding of how your D3100 works.

When you use flash (strobed light) you can control the ambient light exposure separately with the shutter speed, from the strobed light exposure which you control with the lens aperture.

So put your subject in harsh direct sunlight with a nice brightly lit but distant background.
Put a diffusion panel over your subject to create shade on your subject.
Set the camera white balance to tungsten.
Gel the flash unit with a full CTO gel.
Set the shutter speed to 1/200 and the lens aperture to f/8. Go into the D3100 menus and adjust the pop-up flash power to 1/2.
Snap and chimp a shot.
If the subject is to bright, turn the flash unit power down to 1/4. If the subject is to dark, open the lens aperture a full stop to f/5.6.
Snap and chimp another shot.
Rinse and repeat until you have the lighting ratio you desire.

Putting the CTO gel on the flash unit changes it's color tempeature to that of a tungsten light source. Changing the white balance to Tungsten makes the flashed light look white and not the orangish color tungsten light really is. But the backgound that is sunlit will have a nice cool (temperture wise) blue color cast.

When you understand how the camera and light work, you gain a wide range of artistic avenues (tricks) you can persue.

Yah, I'd pull out the manual if I knew where I put it. I'll look for it online. Thx

I recently got the D3100 myself. I'd say just try different things....ambient light vs the flash, different settings, etc. Remember aperture impacts depth of field...lower number means more light but also more shallow DoF. W/Shutter speed faster stops motion better but gets in less light. Finally ISO...higher the number more light sensitive but more grainy...hope that helps!. Also,remember you have to set the switch on the lens itself to change between auto and manual focus.

Nikon Product Manuals available for download

By the way. The D3100 doesn't come with a hard copy user's manual, just a hard copy Quick Guide.

The User's Manual is on one of the discs (or disc) that comes with the camera.

My D3100 came with both a hard copy and the disk. Maybe they recently started packaging them together? I got it last week.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back