Who says it's the camera which determines photo quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people get it and some people don't.

Most people, as it turns out, are not as cynical when looking for a photo that will mirror their love. If I were a photographer whose goal it was to please other photographers with my technical skill, then I might be offended. However, the vast majority of regular people will- and do- love (and will pay good money) for photos which focus is not light and color, but the subject itself. And a good living can be made on intention alone, believe it or not. Take it from someone who can well afford a professional camera if she wanted one.

Is it hard to believe that expensive gear and technical knowledge is not what makes a photographer, but simple love for a subject coupled with basic feel for light and space- and talent? I guess it all depends on who you ask. Ask an artist, and they will say that art is emotion and once you try to explain it- or worse: create it based on how you PLAN to explain it- it ceases to be art. True art inspires love in a viewer without them being able to explain why. Think of Picasso. Think of Van Gough. Think of Andy Warhol. They were all heavily criticized by their peers in their day for their lack of "skill".

In fact, the role of art expert is a made up one. It doesn't exist. For one person to say that another's art is "not good" is TRULY pretentious. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder- ESPECIALLY in the category of art- photography being part of that category. So it is nobody's place to declare one person's art to be "good" or "not good". Doing so only exposes you as an egomaniac- obsessed with your own way when in reality- there is no "right way" or "wrong way" to capture art.

Like I said, some people get it and some people don't. But know that you CAN quit your day job with a simple point-and-shoot and that most people are NOT looking to pick apart your technique. Take it from me and the scores of other of my peers who are doing just that.

WOW! Ok let's get real. You say you quit your job and are making a living form a P&S. Give us some details! How much are you making? What sorts of jobs have you done? How many unsuspecting morons out there have you charged for your "art"? I was actually looking for some high quality snapshots of other random peoples babies playing in the living room, so I think I may want to order some prints from you.

Folks, we're missing the real point here. This is nothing more then SPAM. Take a look at the bottom of her signature. It says Make $300 a Week with your Digital Camera! Money For Pictures I went to the site, and she's selling a book.

I thought this site was to help and encourage people achieve a desire they have within them. At the same time help them with the technical side also. Not ridicule in a arrogant aggressive way.
For photographers of ART where is the compassion for and of people and all living things. Technically you may be right but maybe you should try taking photographs with a heart and soul also. Show some understand and compassion for others.

I thought this site was to help and encourage people achieve a desire they have within them. At the same time help them with the technical side also. Not ridicule in a arrogant aggressive way.
For photographers of ART where is the compassion for and of people and all living things. Technically you may be right but maybe you should try taking photographs with a heart and soul also. Show some understand and compassion for others.

Yes, only if they want to advance their skills and knowledge. But making a thread showing how easy it is to rip unknowing people off is ridiculous.

It's a combination of heart, soul, knowledge, and technical skill that make a great paid photographer.

My heart and soul goes out to all those this individual has ripped off.

And before someone posts the "what about those who can't afford a more expensive professional" statement I'll say this...

For the same price the OP may be charging I guarantee I can find someone with equal lack of knowledge in composition, photographic lighting, and photography in general who will produce better results, with better gear, possibly for free!!!

Guys again, she's selling a book on how to make money with your P & S camera. Her pictures are just examples of what people are supposedly willing to pay for.

Hmmm, $300 a week is not a living. And I doubt she is making $300 a week. I'm guessing she got sucked into some marketing scheme and now she's just taking advantage of free advertising. Been there, done that. If that's the case, I genuinely empathize.

I'm sure that the Moderators will check this out and take the appropriate action.

Hmmm, $300 a week is not a living. And I doubt she is making $300 a week. I'm guessing she got sucked into some marketing scheme and now she's just taking advantage of free advertising. Been there, done that. If that's the case, I genuinely empathize.

Soon she'll be posting questions about what to do about some letter for tax evasion.

I hope you guys are wrong but I do see your point of view. I try to think the best in people, like you guys, I see your good side also :thumbup:

Good luck to you all

Soon she'll be posting questions about what to do about some letter for tax evasion.

you're assuming she actually sold some pictures or books. :mrgreen:

I don't think she's a total spammer because she has more than 2-3 posts, but saying you can make a living with a p&s camera is laughable.. unless you're Terry Richardson..

you're assuming she actually sold some pictures or books. :mrgreen:

Coincidence?...Blog page selling book goes up in March 5th, Joins PhotoForum March 6th, setting free marketting plan in motion.

I made a living with a very tiny camera!! But that was when I was 007:lmao:

Perhaps some people shouldn't watch that video with the iPhone and studio lights for epic pics
badteeth.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back