Why Are Old Lenses better than New Ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikoh4792

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I look at reviews of lenses for nikon DSLR's, it seems to be the case that many older lenses are claimed to be "sharper", and just overall better than the modern ones. Shouldn't it be the other way around with new technology coming in as the years go by?

As a general rule, newer lenses are sharper than their ancestors. But this is not an absolute. There are older lenses that are sharper than their modern counterparts. These lenses are sometimes referred to as cult or legacy lenses.

When designing a lens, the manufacturer must take in many factors. Of course, sharpness is one of them. However, size, weight, speed and even the target market may affect the overall sharpness of the finished product.

Some sharpness may be sacrificed to meet the size & weight requirements. Some may be lost to make a lens faster. And some will be surrendered in order to make a lens affordable to the target market. Remember, not everyone can afford top-end glass.

In some cases, I much prefer my older glass due to it's smaller size, weight and even 52mm filter sizes. These lenses pre-date the VR/AF-motor era. Some of these lenses are sharper, or at least as sharp, as the newer lenses in my stable.

Sometimes only "sharpness" is not the reason a particular lens is more highly regarded than it's more modern equivalent.
For example,
the 85mm/1.4 AF-D lens has a cult status. Not apparently due to it's sharpness but due to it's "unsharpness" in a way as it is a perfect portrait lens due to how it renders "people" images. Also the background bokeh is nice and silky smooth. Whereas the newer 85/1.4G is super sharp and some believe too sharp by comparison for people portraits.

Then modern lenses designed and built for lower cost etc may not have been designed for super sharpness but more low cost.

More modern lenses though have more modern coatings on them, which can provide benefits on it's own.

Don't forget to make the distinction between consumer grade and pro grade lenses, because cost is a critical design element.

'Sharp' is usually about more than just the lens. Photographer skill and knowledge also contribute to 'sharp'.

I also suspect a some blind nostalgia and denial in this case...

Blind nostalgia because for some people, what has been manufactured in the past will always be the best stuff that was ever made, period... Speaking of lenses, I had some legacy MF lenses that were reputed to be the best in their category, but couple years later, I couldn't beleive my eyes when I saw some of my pictures shot with newer, but much less expensive lenses that didn't have any reputation yet. Even the plastic vs metal lens bodies can spark some heated debates once and a while in terms of which one is better...

Denial because if some happen to owe the previous version of a lens, and the new version is much better, then the resale value of that lenses goes down dramatically. It seems to be an habit among some photographers, to dismiss anything that came after what they have purchased.

All that being said, and like others have already mentioned, it also happens that older lenses are better than the new ones coming out though. In my case, I have purchased 3 different generation of lenses, most of them being wide-angles, portrait/macro, and medium telephotos, and in all cases, all my newer lenses always performed much better than the previous generation.

Technology has advanced so much that new lenses are leagues ahead of their older counterparts. Sure you have the odd cult favorite but they are the exception rather than the rule.

The coatings, VR/is, af and USM make it hard to argue with the new tech. Plus the build quality is so much better. Also it's much rarer that you find a "good" copy of a lens as the manufacturing processes are cutting edge.

Don't just worry about sharpness so lenses render better than other sharpness insnt everyhing sometimes softness can be beautiful

The main factor that makes the legacy glass better for me is that I can afford to buy it.

I have to agree with almost everyone else who's posted here. Old lenses are not usually better than new lenses. Check out the wikipedia history of lens design.

New designs, production processes, lens coatings and construction materials are always being considered. Not to mention we still use many of the tried and true classic designs with better coatings, production processes and different materials.

Lens coatings are typically what make newer lenses have better optical properties than older lenses. Although anti-reflective coatings have been around quite a while, newer coatings are amazingly good and older lenses are far more likely to have their coatings eaten away.

I have to agree with almost everyone else who's posted here. Old lenses are not usually better than new lenses. Check out the wikipedia history of lens design.

New designs, production processes, lens coatings and construction materials are always being considered. Not to mention we still use many of the tried and true classic designs with better coatings, production processes and different materials.

Lens coatings are typically what make newer lenses have better optical properties than older lenses. Although anti-reflective coatings have been around quite a while, newer coatings are amazingly good and older lenses are far more likely to have their coatings eaten away.
New lenses are not better just render different and sometimes can spoil some shots

Indestructibility is probably the one definite advantage of a good old lense. No anti-vibration, no autofocus, no electronics inside whatsoever. Keep it dry, do not drop it and you have a lense for life.
When I read that this or that modern lense is all metal and very well made and then realise that when I use manual focus I just operate the internal motor through the focus ring and some electronic circuit, I understand that it's lifespan, metal or not, is limited and more of a lottery than with the old piece of glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back