Why are you here?

DRoberts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is written in response to numerous post in this forum and lots of other forums on this board.
Why are you here? This is a "Beginner" forum, a place where anyone who is new to photography should be able to come and post photos for constructive criticism, or ask questions concerning photography. To many times they do just that and in return they get attacked or blatently insulted. Why? Who is anyone to think they are so above anyone else who ask for help, or for advice that they should just belittle them and respond to their post with such contempt.
Are you here to look for someone who is below your skill level to attack in an effort to feel better about yourself and your own inadequencies?
There's noone on this forum who wasn't at one time a complete noob. Did you forget the thrill you had when you took what you thought was a good shot? The pride you felt when you looked at it even though any experienced photog could look at it and tell you 100 things that were wrong with it.
It just makes me sick and outright pisses me off the attitude that some people have on here.
If you have no desire to offer positive advice, then why even look?
If you don't like a shot, or think it's the biggest peice of crap you've ever seen, then point out why in a constructive way or don't say sh*t! Why not use your knowledge and experience to help someone else. After all that is why they are asking. It should be an honor that someone would ask and take your advice to better themselves. Instead you act without honor and with complete disgrace with juvenile remarks and insults.
Not only is it a disgrace to yourself but it is to these forums as a whole.
I would hope that the admins and mods would realize this and suspend or ban people who act this way.

Thank you. I feel the same frustration. All I want to do is have fun and learn while doing it. .
I don't need your insults.. I need your help.

14 posts and already having my pictures pissed on... Puhleez.... Let's grow up.

I am here for the food.

Sorry, just quoting Rizzo the Rat. :)

I'm here to try to provide some constructive criticism, and I think I do that. I like to help if I can.

I think people have just been bristly this week for some weird reason. Hopefully now that everyone is full of halloween candy, we'll all calm down and feel better. :)

In all seriousness, I hope newer folks won't take it all too seriously. I think communities go through grumpy cycles. It'll pass. If someone dumps on your picture or something just shrug it off and move on. There will likely be lots of other constructive comments coming along soon enough.

If you like your own photos, then that's all there is to it. If you want other people to look at your photos and provide feedback, then expect the worst. What looks great to some people looks like garbage to others. It's just the way it is in this subjective art we call photography. Someone can always find something wrong with even the best photos.

If you don't want negative feedback, then don't post your photos. Given properly, negative feedback will help you improve.

That being said, I would simply disregard negative feedback that isn't constructive. Telling someone their photos suck isn't going to help them improve, and taking comments like that seriously are only going to cause aggravation. Wait for someone to provide more thoughtful responses.

I am here for the food.

Sorry, just quoting Rizzo the Rat. :)

I'm here to try to provide some constructive criticism, and I think I do that. I like to help if I can.

I think people have just been bristly this week for some weird reason. Hopefully now that everyone is full of halloween candy, we'll all calm down and feel better. :)

In all seriousness, I hope newer folks won't take it all too seriously. I think communities go through grumpy cycles. It'll pass. If someone dumps on your picture or something just shrug it off and move on. There will likely be lots of other constructive comments coming along soon enough.

I have always liked Floyd myself! Manaheim you are like "Switzerland" gotta love it ;)

If you like your own photos, then that's all there is to it. If you want other people to look at your photos and provide feedback, then expect the worst. What looks great to some people looks like garbage to others. It's just the way it is in this subjective art we call photography. Someone can always find something wrong with even the best photos.

If you don't want negative feedback, then don't post your photos. Given properly, negative feedback will help you improve.

That being said, I would simply disregard negative feedback that isn't constructive. Telling someone their photos suck isn't going to help them improve, and taking comments like that seriously are only going to cause aggravation. Wait for someone to provide more thoughtful responses.

Why should you expect the worst? Negative feedback doesn't neccessarily mean the worst. If it is constructive, I agree, may hurt but it also may help us grow. Yes, it is a "subjective art" but so is life. We all do what we think is the right thing ( I hope) and hope that others see the same way. We all want the approval of others or why would we be on this forum to begin with. If it did not matter to us, why would we bother with the offering? Some may end up disagreeing but we can all take comfort in the ones that give us approval, the others we can only hope to learn something from...

Why should you expect the worst? Negative feedback doesn't neccessarily mean the worst. If it is constructive, I agree, may hurt but it also may help us grow. Yes, it is a "subjective art" but so is life. We all do what we think is the right thing ( I hope) and hope that others see the same way. We all want the approval of others or why would we be on this forum to begin with. If it did not matter to us, why would we bother with the offering? Some may end up disagreeing but we can all take comfort in the ones that give us approval, the others we can only hope to learn something from...

HOWEVER, sometimes the people giving the approval are giving it from a IMO opinion, and yes, it may be their opinion that it is a good pic, however, technically speaking, it could actually be a crappy pic.. I've seen lots of examples of bad images on here, and people said "nice pic" how does that help the poster?? yea, it bosts their ego, but it, to me, is like the people on american idol who are TERRIBLE, but their friends and family all encourage them saying "your a great singer" then they go to the auditions, and its a reality check that "oh no, my family lied, i really do suck" if I tell someone they have a nice pic, when in reality, its not good, that doesnt help... and people need to know that.. .if I just keep giving you positive reinforcements, then you wont get better..

everyone is entitled to their opinion though... no matter how sh*tty it is. This is a public forum so people can say mostly what they want and there are people out there who are just plain d*cks that think they have to throw there 2 cents in to get amusement. We should just ignore those people. if they arent stiiring up attention maybe they'll get bored and leave...

I would definitely fall into the beginner category and am hesitant to post my photos here for the very reasons the OP stated. I don't mind criticism, I welcome it but I am a firm believer you can say ANYTHING to someone if your intention and heart is in the right place.

With that said, I don't think everyone here is harsh - the person who posted the thread about the "fast lens" - I thought those responses were excellent and constructive.

Thanks for letting this noob voice her opinion :)

Last edited:
Sometimes people forget this site and others like it are divided into several levels.

What irks me is someone posting a basic question in the beginner section and being told to search. The whole reason for the beginner section is for basic questions. If your too busy to help, then why even take the time to say search newb? Just don't reply! That would be better for the newb as they would not have to read all the garbage before getting to their answer!

One thing I felt bad over was a person was asking advice for a wedding recently, and he put a big disclaimer in his title that he was not trying to be a pro, so he would not get flamed. And some of the people replying basically said (in writing), ok you admit your not a pro (trying to be) so I will help you. That is just sad. :grumpy: It's like you have to admit the others are superior to get their help or blessing to do something.

Now having said that. I still enjoy the site (even though I am only on sproradically due to work). I have been online long enough to know that every web forum have these type of people that need to prove they are superior to others. I just hope the newbies learn to realize that and stick around.

I totally agree. Although it might see ma bit patronising at times, when I comment on a photo I always try and end with the highlights of the photo (I mean the good bits, not the bright areas... :)). As to why I'm here, well, I've never thought of myself as a good photographer, just some moron with a fancy camera who dreams of someone buying his photos. I look at the "Beyond the Basics" part from time to time for advice, and to perhaps give a little, but I never feel that I "belong" there. Just my pessimistic view on myself, I suppose.

What irks me is someone posting a basic question in the beginner section and being told to search. The whole reason for the beginner section is for basic questions. If your too busy to help, then why even take the time to say search newb? Just don't reply! That would be better for the newb as they would not have to read all the garbage before getting to their answer!

No I'm afraid you're wrong. If people really want to learn they have to go to at least a little effort, and if this means clicking on search at the top of the page, is that really too much to ask?

Aside from the fact that they'll learn so much more from the wealth of info that has been posted in the past than from one thread, what's the point in clogging up the forum with endless questions about suggested reading material or how to get blurry backgrounds?
It just makes the forum so much more boring and sends interesting posts down the page a lot quicker.

No I'm afraid you're wrong. If people really want to learn they have to go to at least a little effort, and if this means clicking on search at the top of the page, is that really too much to ask?

Aside from the fact that they'll learn so much more from the wealth of info that has been posted in the past than from one thread, what's the point in clogging up the forum with endless questions about suggested reading material or how to get blurry backgrounds?
It just makes the forum so much more boring and sends interesting posts down the page a lot quicker.

Ok, I agree. Lets get rid of the BEGINNER forum then (replace it with a big SEARCH button). I don't want to have to read the drivel either!

Instead of that. Lets say we maybe be a little nicer about it and maybe give a little information about the subject. And then provide a LINK to something that is more detailed that they can read at their pace. Or even just say, here is link to good information on that subject.

Search NEWB doesn't help anyone. And again if a post doesn't interest you, why answer. Just skip on to the next. Should be able to tell by most titles if a post is something you want to look at / discuss.

Most reactions

Back