Why did you buy a Pentax?

I replaced a Pentax SLR with a Pentax DSLR. I did this for two main reasons, firstly I already had 2 lenses for the SLR which could be used on the DSLR. Also because of the sealing that Pentax provides with the camera's. The casing if that is the right word are metal and fit together tightly which greatly reduces dust etc getting in. I just also like the how for me my camera feels good in my hands - ease of use.

The very fact that this question was asked tells me more than all the answers ;)

If it was good enough for John Hedgecoe, it's good enough for me.

The very fact that this question was asked tells me more than all the answers ;)
:D Same questions are asked on Nikon forums, and Canon and (!) Leica. People are everywhere divided in to general groups: gear owners first and then photographers or photographers first and then gear owners (if they care that much to talk about).

Why did I buy a Pentax? Best quality and features for the price. And then I had a small number of lenses, which means I'll keep buying Pentax.

When I was doing film, I used Nikons. My favorite was a Nikon EL2, a very adaptable tank.

Film or DSLR? LOL.
I have several film SLR's, Pentax among them. My first DSLR was (is) a Nikon D50. I wanted an older camera with less features as a first camera to learn on. I like the way the D50 (Like the D7100/7000 are set up with a top LCD, etc) which is why I decided on Nikon in the first place. Then I stumbled on a super deal on a Pentax K100DS. Wow. It is every bit the camera my D50 is and does some things better. The main reason I got it was two fold; it was priced REALLY right and it really felt good! (And it takes super photographs, too!)

In my neck of the woods retailers that carry Pentax are very few. I plan on keeping both because I like both!

Although I haven't bought a Pentax system yet, I'm going to. There's a few reasons, actually. Build quality, size, ergonomics, weather sealing, fantastic IQ, great color saturation, snappy contrast, and they just feel like a camera should feel in the hand ... they are a pleasure to shoot with. Then there's value and of course the pixie dust infused ltd's, which certainly helps. Besides, not everyone and their uncle shoots Pentax, which will satisfy my more rebellious nature. I considered both Canon and Nikon, and was leaning heavily towards Canon at one point, but Pentax is the clear winner when it comes to my needs. I'm more interested in nature, landscapes, portraiture, and concert events than anything else. Pentax delivers in these areas. The newer K-5 II and the K-3 will also be suitable for the minimal sports shooting I'll be doing. Their lens selection is lacking, but there's plenty of third party options out there to compensate for that. When you buy Canon or Nikon, you're buying into a name (imo). The have great systems, but you're paying more for the name. Pentax is different. When you buy Pentax, you're buying high quality photography tools made for those who love photography, but without an increase in price from intense marketing strategies. They make some of the best camera systems on the market and they cost much less than the big two. It's a matter of practicality, value, handling, and overall quality. That's why I chose Pentax.

i bought a pentax because it was the best bang for the buck for me. i could buy older lenses (which you can really get quite cheap) and still use them on the dslr body.

so i had the k-x, then the k-7 and now the k-3 and i still love it.

I've been shooting Pentax since 1965 and have always thought that they were made by folks who know photography.

I was a Canon film slr user from 2000 for 10 years and all that time my dream camera was the eos 3, which I would have loved but couldn't justify financially. As digital marched onwards through the decade I held off, eventually getting a digital bridge camera when my curiosity got too srong to resist any more. From then on the eos3 was a non-starter, and by 2012 I knew I just had to get a DSLR system ....

On a shop, I already knew a lot about the Canon range so tried a few out. Then spotted something else, well-known name and a very good looking camera. A few minutes trying it out and the credit card was out. What did I get? ... Magnesium alloy body with vertical grip, 100% viewfinder, pentaprism, dedicated switches for metering mode, autofocus mode, af point select, dual e-dials, weather sealed body and quality kit lens, 5fps bursts, video mic socket, hdmi out, hdr, shadow / highlight / NR / lens corrections for in-camera jpegs, af assist lamp, remote control from front & rear of camera, front & rear curtain flash sync, mirror up operation, .... Shall I go on ? 😁 And the cost of all this NEW in 2012? 499 British pounds, that's about 850 us dollars!!! That was the closest kind of camera to my long wished fir eos3 that I was getting fir that money ... A happy bunny 😊

The in-camera image stabilisation system sold it as well, and with that I've got stabilization with my 40 year old Tamron lens as well as my manual Pentax optics from the 80's.

I'll admit it: a Pentax Q10 with a 32 Gb card for $201? Sold. I also read that Pentax camera tend to be better with colors than Canon. Yes -- I am cheap, but I want to get as much as I can.

Just bought a K50 for these features that Nikon/Canon dont have a that low price, weather resistant, built in image stabilisation, dng raw for great software compatibility, aa battery option, built in raw converter, lens focus calibration, cheap lenses.

John

I chose pentax because the way the make photos is just different, and in my opinion better than the other guys for the money, the colors, the tones, i'm just a fan, and i know that on the digital bodies, this is mostly just good programming and a cool sensor, but whatever, the end result is great, and the prices are fantastic, the interface is super easy, and the weather proof bodies are off the charts for the $. I have a Nikon, a Canon, and a Pentax, and for everything in general, the Canon is my go to, because I don't yet have my k50 and it can shoot video like a monster, but my Pentax is my daily carry around camera, and when I want to get artsy I tend to pull out the trusty little Q10 or my wife's Kx. Foot note on the AA battery thing, I think the advantage is that anywhere in the world, i think you can get AA batteries, so if you kill your rechargeables, it's not a deal breaker the night before a shoot if there's not a camera shop around to replace your dead proprietary Li battery pack/charger.

For me when I got the K100d it was a mixture of value for money, ergonomics, and compatability with my old film kit. Upgrading to mf K7, all the original reasons still applied but I got other advantages too.

Now I do most of my shooting with micro four thirds, as it's easier to bring with me routinely. The ergonomics (& my collection of lenses) for this aren't quite as good IMHO' so the Pentax still comes out for photo intensive occations.

Everyone should own at least one Pentax camera. They are so light weight and rugged for outdoors.
I enjoy taking mine on hiking trips. The ability to use any old K-Mount lens is amazing.
There have been some legendary K mount lenses over the years.
Also, the fact that it has built in Anti-Shake reduction on the camera is a game changer. I hate having to pay extra to have it on every lens.
Also, Pentax has more APS-C lenses available than any manufacturer.

Its just a fun system to use. Durable and fun.
But unfortunately Pentax doesn't have a pro level solution available.
If they made a full frame DSLR, I would probably buy it.

Back in the film day, you were practically issued a Pentax camera at photography schools.
They lasted forever and had the widest selection of lenses available.

Most reactions

Back