Why is it...

LynziMarie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I always wonder why it is people fall in love with different things.
Why painters become so passionate, what it is in everyday life that makes them twitch to get their hands on those brushes, or in this case, cameras. What part of photography really just sparks that passion fire in you?
Also, How is it do you think a person can be 'talented' at something like photography? When others, who want desperately to have that 'eye', just can't get it right

like chefs who think they can cook and you pay alot to eat the food then you go home and your dads roast lamb and its sooo much better, and he doesnt even enjoy cooking LOL

like chefs who think they can cook and you pay alot to eat the food then you go home and your dads roast lamb and its sooo much better, and he doesnt even enjoy cooking LOL
exactly...
is it kind of like luck of the draw, you're either talented or not, or just the way you take things....

I think too much :lol:

Everything about photography "sparks that passion fire" in me.

I think the word talent is over used and over rated. And I am not sure that I believe in it. Mostly I think some people try harder then others. If photography is your passion you will end up doing well with it.

Love & Bass

Everything about photography "sparks that passion fire" in me.

I think the word talent is over used and over rated. And I am not sure that I believe in it. Mostly I think some people try harder then others. If photography is your passion you will end up doing well with it.

Love & Bass

I am so with you on this one! Well for the most part. I think some people have limitations (like brain injury) and personality issues (like perfectionism) and situational issues (like having family obligations) that of course impact someone's overall ability, no matter how far they are able to go. But I think how hard you try is far more important then talent.

For me it's about capturing special moments in time that will come and go and then never be repeated, and being able to relive them over and over again. Like some of my daughter's first steps. Or a magnificent sunset in Paris from our "babymoon". In the blink of an eye I'll be walking my daughter down the aisle and will look at these and cry. As for what gives some the eye for shots and not so much others, I honestly have no clue but it's a great question! :)

thanks everyone!! You gave me alot of great answers!

I've always wondered what it actually means to be talented... so I guess it's a good idea to think of it as overrated and overused.

thanks everyone!! You gave me alot of great answers!

I've always wondered what it actually means to be talented... so I guess it's a good idea to think of it as overrated and overused.
I believe that everyone is talented and gifted in their own ways, and that part of the purpose of life is discovering those talents and putting them to good use both for the benefit of yourself, and for others. Maybe this Ed Wood director guy became obsessed with directing movies for the "wrong" reasons and ended up missing his true calling in life.

That actually reminds me of some cheesy movie they were showing on a trans-Pacific China Airlines long-haul flight a few months ago. This guy thought he was some big-shot director but his movies just plain sucked and then some other "nobody" guy that got injured on his set sued and won the right to direct a movie and made it a ton better, showing down this big shot guy. But the big shot did all the cutting and editing and ended up making the guy's movie suck anyways, just out of spite. No I have no idea what the movie was, but obviously they were cost-cutting big time on China Air and not licensing any real movies! :lol:

I always wonder why people fall in love with things that they're no good at and then have too much pride to stop doing them.

maybe it's not pride alpha. maybe they just love it. and who goes out and says, " Hey, i'm really good at X thing, I think I'll loooooove to do this thing." You don't "decide" what you love....maybe you do, but I doubt it. :)

example: I used to be a horrible skateboarder in my late teens. i could ride the thing and manage a few lame tricks, but never had what it took to really be a great skater.

i still love it. right now, i'm looking for some skaters to photograph so that i can somehow connect again with it. i sure as heck don't have any pride issues as i've already shared..but i loved riding, and i love watching talented skaters pull off moves that most people can only dream of....

maybe for some people, they don't need to be the best there is to enjoy a sport or hobby. i'm not the best flyfisherman out there either, but i sure do enjoy standing out there in that river waving that fly-rod around trying to catch a trout. :)

I don't mean average. I mean patently bad.

If not pride then masochism.

I always wonder why people fall in love with things that they're no good at and then have too much pride to stop doing them.
From this cheesy in-flight movie, the big shot director that made sucky movies that nobody liked never perceived himself as being anything but a great director. It was "everybody else" that just wasnt' getting him, or wasn't appreciating his work. It was obvious to everyone else around him, but nobody could tell him that. Then this "nobody" comes along and does a better job and was obviously more talented. Everybody loved the guy and thought his work was great, and he was like "really?" oblivious to it all. The movie may have been cheesy, but the characters were quite believable and human.

Edit: Yes the big shot director was 'patently bad'. But THEY don't see it that way.

Most reactions

Back