Why is the 1Ds Mark II so cheap?? Looking to go full-frame.

For use under controlled lighting, like studio flash shoots, older sensors can perform pretty well. The build quality and the viewfinder clarity are really high. The 1Ds Mark II is a full-frame camera with a decent 16.7 megapixel sensor. Handling is FAST. It's older, yes...but it's like an older top-of-the-line Mercedes...it's not a 'Yota...

I have produced some really great images using a 3.8mp 1D and the same using a 1D mkll, both were great cameras for me, and at the time there was nothing that I considered could compete with them. People get all wrapped up in megapixels and fps, but it still always comes down to the person holding the camera.

Buy what you can afford, buy what feels comfortable in your hands, and buy what will meet your photographic needs There will always be the photo geeks that couldn't shoot a decent frame if there was a gun pointed at their heads, but they are the first to spew all the facts and figures as to why a certain camera is good, bad, or ugly, most of which is just regurgitated from a magazine article written by some other geek.

I just take pictures.

For that price of $500 AND 16MP ... if it were a Nikon I'd buy one, or two even and sell my crop camera.

I did a quick check of ebay and nothing was under $710 (and that had alot of actuations) except for a couple that possible did not work or parts.

mostly $800+ for body only.

I'm looking at some full-frame bodies and came across some refurbished 1Ds Mark II's, for CHEAP. Like, $500. I know the 1Ds Mark III is an insanely amazing body so why would it's older version be priced so differently? Is there some big flaw in the 1Ds II's design?

I don't know if you are still even here, I tried to read all the posts, but they seem to have run off topic ;~). So here, for what it is worth, is my 2 cents. I am a working pro and continue to use a 1Ds Mark II. I have newer gear, 5D2, 5D3, and 1Dx, but continue to use my 1Ds Mark II for portrait work, as it is really good at this. The camera is MUCH heavier than your 60D, and the controls are VERY different. There will be a learning curve.

My honest feeling is that, for your wedding work, you should give serious consideration to the 6D. The controls are exactly the same as the 60D but it gives you the full frame you are looking for. I suggest you try renting one for a try out before you buy, but I really believe it will give you everything you need, and you can keep the 60D as a back-up without having to learn a new set of controls. There's my 2 cents anyway. Anyway, great shooting!

Oh, and I assume your lenses are full frame! LOL :~).

Most reactions

Back