Why is the sky so blue?

mostly sunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't love the picture.. But do love how blue the sky is.. Is it that blue cause of the polarizer I have on the lens?
IMG_2431.jpg

Yup. :)

That is one of the effects of a polarizing filter.

Yup. :)

That is one of the effects of a polarizing filter.

One effect? Please explain more... I have used the Circular Polarize r to enhabnce the blues in the sky... or to play with the transparency/reflection in water... are there other effects I can get with my Polarize r?

One effect? Please explain more... I have used the Circular Polarize r to enhabnce the blues in the sky... or to play with the transparency/reflection in water... are there other effects I can get with my Polarize r?
Those are the big ones, but it can also help to take the glare/reflections off of other surfaces. For example, it can sometimes take the glare off of green foliage, leaving a deeper, richer green color.

A polarizer filter will also cut through the haze of distant hills and mountains.

I almost never take photographs without mine, but most of my photos are landscape and nature.

This will give you a good idea of what it can do for flat expanses of water. One image has the polarizer turned one way and the next is with a 45° turn.

4399364921_a3706a4ee2.jpg

4399364571_5db0795d04.jpg

Last edited:
Is this the same thing?
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Resolution-3-piece-Fluorescent-Polarizer-55-200mm/dp/B002P9FOUU]Amazon.com: High Resolution 3-piece Filter Set (UV, Fluorescent, Polarizer) For The Nikon D5000, D3000 Digital SLR Cameras Which Have Any Of These (18-55mm, 55-200mm, 50mm) Nikon Lenses: Electronics[/ame]

Yes, that is probably a circular Polarizing filter in that set. That polarizer is a CPOS that you really wouldn't want on your lens if you value image quality though.

The following would be the minimum I would recommend:

Hoya | 52mm Circular Polarizer (HMC) Multi-Coated | A52CRPL in that filter size.

I choked a bit when I saw how much my Promaster 72mm Polarizer was when I was purchasing my 40D and accessories, but I knew I was going to get a lot of mileage out of it. It was a worthy expense.

So what does it do to water?
And can you adjust it so it doesn't make it soooo blue?
Yes! All you have to do is look as you turn the polarizer to the desired cast you want. As Keith says you dont want that set. What he has suggested is good filter. I would get a larger filter though with a stepping ring so you can use it on multiple lenses with whatever size ring you need to adapt it. It is much less expensive that way. Maybe get a 72mm with rings as well.

Most reactions

Back