Why is there always rumors about Nikon?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Seriously, just this week there was a rumor that Fuji is buying Nikon, or "helping" Nikon. It seems like every other month there is some sort of rumor about Nikon closing its doors, selling, merging, etc.

Why is that?

Someone told me it's because Nikon sits in the #2 spot and Canon is in the #1 spot and they want Nikon to fail and shut down. Wouldn't Canon become a monopoly in the DSLR market if Nikon would cease operations?

I mean should we be worried? Or is just flat out total BS that people are spreading or lost in translations that people are taking way out of context in hopes it would somehow harm Nikon?

It's a total soap opera!

It's a soap opera about all the camera makers.
It just depends what one focuses on ...

And yes .. the latest rumors are that the Japanese gov't supposed asked Fuji to help/buy into Nikon. That's because after the alien attack they stole all of Nikon's new cameras and Nikon is now stuck as the Alien's control all the patents and trademarks on their new cameras, and they don't want to start an intergalactic war.

on another note, why do you care?
Did you know that the Swedish Volvo cars is a Chinese company?

It's a soap opera about all the camera makers.
It just depends what one focuses on ...

And yes .. the latest rumors are that the Japanese gov't supposed asked Fuji to help/buy into Nikon. That's because after the alien attack they stole all of Nikon's new cameras and Nikon is now stuck as the Alien's control all the patents and trademarks on their new cameras, and they don't want to start an intergalactic war.

on another note, why do you care?
Did you know that the Swedish Volvo cars is a Chinese company?

I never see rumors about Canon or other camera manufacturers like Fuji, Sony, etc. Except for Pentax...but that's to be expected.

It makes me worried that I'm invested in a company that may go away soon.

I mean I've came across people selling their Nikon gear because they believe Nikon won't be around much longer.

maybe someone(s) is infatuating with creating rumors about Nikon.
It only takes one person to create a rumor.

About that Fuji “helping” Nikon “rumor” | Nikon Rumors

This happens all the time in the stock market .. someone buys heavily or hedges for/against a company then creates some "news" story in order to profit. And they do it over and over again.

There's always companies looking to improve their technology .. to buy another company or part of another company.

In short though, let's say Fuji does buy Nikon.
Is Fuji going to DROP sales and support of all of Nikon's cameras instantaneously? Then why buy the company?

Think this through .. if a company buys another why are they buying that company?
Which is the bigger company? who would buy who?

Why is that?
It could be because Nikon is a very tightly-controlled company that seems to operate in mystery. So the Rumors fly.

I suppose if Nikon wasn't doing well, then they probably would've have released those two high end lenses recently.

I think Nikon is a great company and I'd HATE to see them go away.

Nikon DOES need to bring out a Mirrorless camera that is competitive.

SONY is definitely the leader in mirrorless cameras and neither Nikon nor Canon competes well against them.

Of course there's FujiFilm and Olympus too which neither are as large of companies.

I think if it bugs you so much (based on all of your other postings about this) you should just sell out of Nikon and get Sony or Fuji. Then you won't have to worry about it so much and you can shoot more.

If Nikon came out with a mirrorless camera that has a similar battery life as a DSLR, people would go insane! lol.
By who's definition ?

If you use a small battery Nikon D5500 and use LiveView all the time you'll have similar battery performance to a smaller battery Mirrorless.

The (simplified) issue is that if you want more battery life, you use larger batteries.
Which subsequently would require the body to be slightly bigger.
The Mirrorless drains more battery because you use an electronic LCD screen for viewing versus the optical (no battery drain) of a DSLR; unless you use LiveView.

The D5500 is a perfect example. It's really small and compact.
If you remove the mirror box and pentamirror it can really be quite a bit thinner. That would be the perfect system to convert to a mirrorless camera .. they could even keep the mount sticking out and use the same lenses.

You shouldn't worry about it.

If you do, then maybe you should switch camera systems. Or, just use what you have it's not going to stop working *if* Nikon was bought by some company.

On the positive side, if Nikon were to disappear tomorrow (very, very unlikely) your gear would continue to work as it always has.

I know where you coming from and understand your worries.
Here's a little story, I used to own an Acura MDX, fantastic vehicle, loved it, it had one issue it was horrible on gas, 2008 gas prices went so high I got really scared and everywhere big SUV sales dropped and everybody was talking about moving small.
Well I didn't talked, I acted, I sold my MDX for a stupid price and ran to by a Toyota Camry Hybryd, great car which I hated with passion.
After 4 years I sold my Camry and bought a Ford Explorer and now I own an Acadia, these are still big guzzlers but I like this type of vehicle and willing to pay the price.
I made a HUGE mistake by getting into the stupid hype about USV is dead and I must buy a small economic car.
Just like you I hear all the latest Nikon aches and cries but I refuse to give to it!
Logically even if Nikon will not be able to stay a private company it will be bought by a big company probably Sony and they will continue to make Nikon cameras.
Is it possible that Nikon will suddenly disappear and its users will get stuck with useless lenses ?
Yes its possible.
Is it likely ?
I don't think so, its too big and the name carries too much value that it will simply vanish like AGFA did.
No doubt Nikon is facing hard time now but I believe it will come out stronger (well I hope so anyways).
There is no doubt and everybody agrees Nikon knows how to make good cameras, it acknowledged they have mirrorless in the future so I guess all we can do is sit and wait.
If you feel the fear eating in you as astroNikon said then move to another system, just be sure not to look back and feel sorry you ran away and left a great system.

I know where you coming from and understand your worries.
Here's a little story, I used to own an Acura MDX, fantastic vehicle, loved it, it had one issue it was horrible on gas, 2008 gas prices went so high I got really scared and everywhere big SUV sales dropped and everybody was talking about moving small.
Well I didn't talked, I acted, I sold my MDX for a stupid price and ran to by a Toyota Camry Hybryd, great car which I hated with passion.
After 4 years I sold my Camry and bought a Ford Explorer and now I own an Acadia, these are still big guzzlers but I like this type of vehicle and willing to pay the price.
I made a HUGE mistake by getting into the stupid hype about USV is dead and I must buy a small economic car.
Just like you I hear all the latest Nikon aches and cries but I refuse to give to it!
Logically even if Nikon will not be able to stay a private company it will be bought by a big company probably Sony and they will continue to make Nikon cameras.
Is it possible that Nikon will suddenly disappear and its users will get stuck with useless lenses ?
Yes its possible.
Is it likely ?
I don't think so, its too big and the name carries too much value that it will simply vanish like AGFA did.
No doubt Nikon is facing hard time now but I believe it will come out stronger (well I hope so anyways).
There is no doubt and everybody agrees Nikon knows how to make good cameras, it acknowledged they have mirrorless in the future so I guess all we can do is sit and wait.
If you feel the fear eating in you as astroNikon said then move to another system, just be sure not to look back and feel sorry you ran away and left a great system.

The weird thing is I see more and more SUV type vehicles everyday!

Are DLSRs dead ??
Can you identify the make and model of cameras here ?
DSLRs.jpg

All I see is Pentax.

Most reactions

Back