Why Nikon must kill the D7100

You have to carefully calculate your jump to FX.
When I was thinking of upgrading my d7000 to d7100 the used/refub'd d600 was only a couple hundred more.
Plus all my lenses except 1 were FX, and I really wanted the low light advantage. So I took the jump and haven't regretted it at all.

Yes it would be nice to have a larger buffer, more focus points, etc etc etc of either the d750 or d800 etc but I bought what I could afford at the time. And it's a great camera especially for the money.

goodguy said:
Still the D7100 keeps a lot of potential Nikon customer away from FX bodies.

I'm not so sure about that...the $2200 and $3200 price tags are what keeps people away from the FX Nikons...

It's not that the D7100 exists...it is that the FX Nikons cost another thousand or two thousand dollars MORE than whatever high-end consumer DX body Nikon happens to offer. The distinction I am making might seem facile, but I really mean it. A LOT of people cannot see their way clear to buy a $2,000-plus or $3,000-plus dollar camera body. It's not the D7100 keeping people away from FX Nikons--it's economics and family budgets and the down economy.

If Nikon offered a crappier FX body at the $1199 price point, that would not drive people to cameras they cannot afford...people would just shoot lower-performing cameras, so killing off the D7100 would be a lose-lose situation for both consumers, and for Nikon.

how much does an FX sensor cost again ?
I thought that was a large part of the total cost because of its size.

First... I'd be the first to jump onto the Canon 7DmkII love boat... but keep this in mind...

The current Canon 7D ranks in at 127th place in the DxOMark Sensor Score. From all the (pre)reviews I've seen so far, the 7DmkII doesn't raise the bar much higher.

DxOMark Scores..
Canon 7D = 66
Nikon D7100 = 83

Second.. Nikon never drops/kills a camera... they just fade into overstock..

With the 7DII launch, I don't doubt the D7200 (or something similar) will much probably be the next Nikon release, by the 1st quarter of 2015, if not earlier.

With the 7DII launch, I don't doubt the D7200 (or something similar) will much probably be the next Nikon release, by the 1st quarter of 2015, if not earlier.
Dont think the D7100 or D7200 (or waht ever its name will be if and when it will come out) are the cameras to compete with the 7D II, the D7100 is more at same level as the 70D and I think aiming at same customers. Only a replacement for the D300s will be a direct competitor with the 7D II

First... I'd be the first to jump onto the Canon 7DmkII love boat... but keep this in mind...

The current Canon 7D ranks in at 127th place in the DxOMark Sensor Score. From all the (pre)reviews I've seen so far, the 7DmkII doesn't raise the bar much higher.

DxOMark Scores..
Canon 7D = 66
Nikon D7100 = 83

Well, the EOS 70D ranks 109th overall, so it's a good bet that the new 7D Mark II ought to be better. Say maybe 105th place???

I am one of those gadget freaks and understand wanting the best of the best within $ range. However, with this camera crazy dslr world discovered in only the last few years........................

That D7100 seems to me, to be a freakin amazing image maker (in the right hands). Based on your OP, sounds like you agree. Is any amount of bokeh worth an extra $1k? Exactly what else would you want from it? It seems the buffer issue is absolutely the only issue (that I can tell) and unless you really are shooting burst all or most of the time, even that should not be much of an issue.

What does a full frame do that the D7100 does not (in terms of image quality) and how well can you tell the difference viewing online or printed?

As much as we like to talk about dynamic range and sensors etc. (I'm addicted to reading about it :) ), it just matters less to me especially when I see photos of people using older equipment. Some members in this forum using classic 5d's for portraits and still being nominated for POTM, for what it's worth.

I understand getting sucked in, but every once in a while someone will say 'it's the photographer, not the camera' or 'it's all about the quality of light and how to use it' etc., that knocks me back into reality. That and viewing daily pictures taken with relatively older sensored cameras - d-this or that-d.

DxOMark Scores..
Canon 7D = 66
Nikon D7100 = 83

Well, the EOS 70D ranks 109th overall, so it's a good bet that the new 7D Mark II ought to be better. Say maybe 105th place???

Yup, I snorted on this on D! :)

Still the D7100 keeps a lot of potential Nikon customer away from FX bodies.
I don't think so.

I think Nikon sells more enthusiast DX than enthusiast FX because of the higher cost of FX.
I'm with goodguy on this. The d7100 to me for example is a big attraction for people on the fence of going full frame. I'd have already gone to full frame if there was no d7100. I have no real tight budget constraints and i could afford the d750. The d7100 allows me to have all i want so i can spend the rest on glass. But i might be a bad example for this, because i'm a guy that loves his glass. :excitement:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back