Why Nikon must kill the D7100

Keeping the nikon D7100 would be a smart move. Here's why I think. I purchased the D7100 based on good reviews and compared to canon for the money it can't be beat. Th camera has performed well beyond my expectations and I have only scratched the surface as to what this camera can do. It's user friendly, feels like quality and nikon will have my loyalty and money should this camera live up to its fame.

As a happy, loyal and satisfied customer it only makes sense that I continue on with nikon as a camera option. From purchasing there lenses to remote shutters etc... They will get my money. In the future when I've exhausted my capabilities and grown into photography without a doubt I will stick with nikon And be a loyal customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the D5200 and I want the D7100. I invested in DX glass.

Let's say they release a D7200 and it is awesome. Let's say the sensor is the same, but they throw in a brand new processor in there (a step up from the D750's), and they chug out a half stop (or full stop!?) of ISO performance compared to the D7100 better at the 1600/3200/6400 marks (where it matters). Let's say the focusing system is improved over the D7100, and there's a touchscreen. Wow, that would be amazing. Would I switch to full frame? Nope. I'd want that. Then they come out with a D7300, so on and so forth...

*BUT* Let's say I have $2500 to spend on a camera. Would I get that amazing D7200, or would I get the D750? I would seriously consider the D750.

What's wrong with your average guy dishing out $1000-$1400 on a new DX camera every 1-3 years? Or your average guy investing in a new $1000-$1400 DX camera as their first camera, as opposed to an FX camera?

The DSLR market is comprised of all kinds of people. I can't even pretend to know what the demographics and spread of revenue consists of. However, use some basic reasoning: You have your entry-level guy who bought a D3100, or D5200, or whatever. He never wants to upgrade again, but just wants a new lens. Nothing else matters to him. The D7100 doesn't hurt sales in that case, since he didn't want a new camera body anyways. Or, you have an entry-level guy who did the same thing, but wants to upgrade. He has a budget of $2000 and is aware that he needs a new lens as well. Does he upgrade to full frame? Maybe. The D610 might be what he gets, or he might look to the D7100. Does it hurt sales? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. If he gets the D7100, is he going to retire to that camera forever? Well, if he does, then it wouldn't have mattered whether he got the D610 or D7100, he likely wouldn't have made any more purchases thereafter. With basic reasoning, there's two types of buyers: Those who buy once and once only, and those who buy and will buy again. Those who will buy again will be back regardless.

Last edited:
I didn't say I wouldn't go fx. I just say I would be stupid. And I never said I was smart. Think I would rather have something smaller than larger though carrying around gear isn't that fun..

I didn't say I wouldn't go fx. I just say I would be stupid. And I never said I was smart. Think I would rather have something smaller than larger though carrying around gear isn't that fun..

What I meant is that buying a FF camera is a foolish decision for most amateurs these days, but they just do not want to hear the truth. Having said that I too would not say I would never go FF. But just like you I know it would be quite stupid. Luckily one thing stops me - size and weight. Even a prosumer DX like D7100 feels ridiculously big and heavy in my hands, never mind FF.

What I meant is that buying a FF camera is a foolish decision for most amateurs these days, but they just do not want to hear the truth. Having said that I too would not say I would never go FF. But just like you I know it would be quite stupid. Luckily one thing stops me - size and weight. Even a prosumer DX like D7100 feels ridiculously big and heavy in my hands, never mind FF.

What is the "truth" ?

What is the "truth" ?

Wait for it, wait for it.......'You Can't Stand the Truth'! :) :) Happy Monday folks.

Luckily one thing stops me - size and weight. Even a prosumer DX like D7100 feels ridiculously big and heavy in my hands, never mind FF.

The D750 weighs LESS than the D7100

Not by much. When you factor the lenses, especially good FF zooms, it is simply prohibitive for me. I just see no sense in a camera that stays home six days a week. I prefer the one I can throw in my bag (not a camera bag, just any bag) and have it with me most of the time.

The D7K series is a sweet spot for a lot of photographers, myself included.

I got my first SLR in 2006. I used kit lenses until 2012 and never really knew anything else existed. I'd heard vague references to full frame but never really knew what it was until around the same time.

At the time I was most like most DSLR consumers. I did a little bit of internet research, found a camera in my price range, bought it and moved on with my life. Most people are not as camera-knowledgeable as the average person here on TPF!

If I go fx, the main reason will be because I AM STUPID. And have nothing better to do than worry about low light photography in my barely paying non pro world.
This is THE TRUTH that most people simply do not want to hear.
Well, the question what camera I get is really not based on economic efficiency. I'm an amateur, I dont ask people for money for my pictures. Thus how much money I spend on photography is ultimately based on which one I can afford, nothing else. My main economic concern is thus that my money was well spent, i.e. I try to get the best camera for my money that I can get.

BUT* Let's say I have $2500 to spend on a camera. Would I get that amazing D7200, or would I get the D750? I would seriously consider the D750.
Never forget that, for a FX camera, you also need FX glas.

I hear ya. I don't like carrying around my 7100 either which is why I usually don't. I like something to go WITH whatever activities I am doing not something I am lugging around Becoming the activity just in itself. I still usually use a bridge camera. I mean if the 7100 goes out it goes out with 3 lenses because I have been stuck before not having the right lens for the right thing so I drag three now with me. so I am carrying 3 lenses and the camera in the bag plus whatever else. it isn't like it is this great portable option to lug around. And often I leave it in the car somewhere and just take the camera and a lens. still not some great portable option. I still like my bridge camera. no lenses to carry, less than half the weight and if it is broken or stolen I am only out a few hundred not a few grand so less worries.

Long thread considering the subject matter.

Lots of us have things we don't need, just want. Nobody needed smart phones a few years ago or internet before that. Guess what we still don't need them. They are very nice to have.

Maybe I read wring but somewhere someone on this thread said it be stupid to go fx. Definitely that's a matter of opinion and certainly some people can do very well with lower end gear in nearly all hobbies.

However if someone is pro or not and want fx, and it doesn't mean they can't get the things in life they do need, then why not.

It's photography, an obsession for some,a hobby for most, a job for a few. Probably 95% of people wouldn't know a dslr has a bigger sensor than an iPhone or care. Most people like photos, some like cameras.

I regret going FX. Especially in tricky situations where I can shoot at f/4 in non-existent light with high ISO and still get amazing images.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back