Vautrin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.withoutamapphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

So I just bought a new Olympus EVOLT 510 and have been reading the forums voraciously for the last few weeks.

I never see anyone talking about Olyumpuses, recommending them, and don't even see any for sale in the used gear forum.

Why is that? Are they a bad camera?

??:confused:??

-Dan

Most of the people on here prefer Canon or Nikon, but there are a few good sony, olympus DSLRs... I personally dont know of these but many people love them.

Hmm, I just noticed something. Most current DSLRs from olympus are 10MP, do they all use the same sensor? One has 10.1 (big difference...)

Most of the people on here prefer Canon or Nikon, but there are a few good sony, olympus DSLRs... I personally dont know of these but many people love them.

But why do they prefer canon and / or nikon? Is it a brand thing? I shoot a canon ergo I am cool? Or is there some feature they have that an olympus lacks...

Brand thing... yes to some extent.

Canon and Nikon had a large market share even before DSLRs were widely available. Both companies advanced the technology and gained a lot of loyal customers. Once you are loyal and invested into a system, it takes a lot of convincing to make a switch.

Thread probably belongs in the equipment forum.

Not to mention, canon and nikon most of the time produce quality products, would you want a ferrari or a ford....

But there are still very excellent 3rd party lenses...but you tend to get better quality products from name brands...or the most popular brands... Its not by sheer luck that Canon and Nikon are the 2 most used brands of camera gear in the world. Watch any sports on TV, look at the side lines, 99.999% of them are shooting canon or Nikon... in fact I dont think ive ever seen a non canon/nikon slr on the field, thats just me tho

In regards to Olympus specifically, I think there are a lot of photographers that are not too keen on the 4/3rds format sensor. There is also much less third party support for 4/3rds.

Well, after 30+ years of shooting pro Nikon bodies and lenses, I went through a severe mid-life crisis :confused: and sold all of my Nikon gear and moved to the 4/3 system.

Actually, I retired from the photo biz and decided to downsize my gear and go off in a new direction. I currently own only three cameras and two lenses- a Lumix L1 with the Leica 14-50 zoom, an Olympus E-1, an Olympus 40-150 zoom. And I just purchased a P&S- the Ricoh GRDII. That's it- that is the extent of my gear. I sold every bit of pro gear I owned and bought this stuff.

So far, no regrets and no complaints. The L1, especially with the Leica zoom, is a great camera. The E-1 is solidly built and a worthy shooter. Also, the upper end Olympus glass is optically equal or better than Nikon or Canon glass. So if I should decide to head in that direction, I have no problems there, either.

Enjoy your new camera.

Plus, the new micro 4/3 sytem is right around the corner. We may be looking at some type of affordable digital rangefinder here pretty soon.

Last edited:
Not to mention, canon and nikon most of the time produce quality products, would you want a ferrari or a ford....

Well that's the confusing thing. When I was buying it my olympus seemed to have everything the Nikon 40d the salesman was showing me had, plus a lot more, plus 10 MP vs 6 MP, for the exact same price

It seemed like the Olympus was the ferrari with hand stitched leather interior and the Nikon was the ford with basic everything...

Lol, well remember its not all about the bodies, I bet the nikon/canon lenses are better than the olympus ones...and whatever fits those bodies...
Infact most people prefer better glass over bodies...

Most people spend < $1000 on a camera body, then spend about $2000-$4000 on a few top of the line lenses.. (2-4 lenses)

Lol, well remember its not all about the bodies, I bet the nikon/canon lenses are better than the olympus ones...and whatever fits those bodies...
Infact most people prefer better glass over bodies...

Most people spend < $1000 on a camera body, then spend about $2000-$4000 on a few top of the line lenses.. (2-4 lenses)

I don't know, you might be surprised at some of the better zooms Olympus makes. They are really top notch, with a price tag to match. I doubt if I will be buying any of them in the near future. :wink:

Where Olympus falls a bit short in lenses, are primes. Not nearly the selection the Big Two have.

And as I mentioned above, the L1 is a 4/3 camera and the 14-50 Leica zoom is one of the finest zooms I have ever used, and at one time, I owned some of Nikon's better zooms.

It really is an oddball system, and if I had not gotten out of the biz, I probably would not have changed from Nikon to Olympus. I just decided it was time for a change. :wink:

I dont mean they dont ahve good lenses, Sigma has a 200-500 with a huge aperture of 2.8 I believe...thats just amazing...its the size of a bazooka and really fat... Unpractical to me....

Canon will probably never make something that big... (I think canon used to have a 1200mm F/5.6L pretty big...

FUnny when you type that into google...
[SIZE=+1](1200 mm F) / (5.6 L) = 214.285714 m-4 kg-1 s4 A2[/SIZE]

What kind of math is that? haha

Anyways, they have a bigger choice of lenses, and of good quality...

well those two lenses are more for company show than retail profit - sigma making a zoom 200-500mm f2.8 is a bold statment, especially consider canon does not even make a 500mm f2.8prime with f2.8, not does it make a zoom that long. Its impratical for most people, but its a good advertising statement as well as an indecation of what sigma can make (and changes are with its asking price they will still make a profit on sales over time)

Well that's the confusing thing. When I was buying it my olympus seemed to have everything the Nikon 40d the salesman was showing me had, plus a lot more, plus 10 MP vs 6 MP, for the exact same price

It seemed like the Olympus was the ferrari with hand stitched leather interior and the Nikon was the ford with basic everything...

LOL... so true. Sounds like you got a salesman who knew what he was talking about :)

Recommend you check out -

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/

Cheers, Don

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back