Why so many want to be Pro?

Chill,

See that other dumb tree right beside you?

...that's me. Makes two of us. Three's a crowd.

Thanks brother.
2.gif

Chill,

See that other dumb tree right beside you?
...that's me. Makes two of us. Three's a crowd.

No, that would be tree is a crowd... lol

Me, long term, I would rather do something that makes me happy and be paid less, but there are times I just want to get paid the big bucks for doing the hard jobs that no one wants and get it over with. I'm not as happy doing them, but I feel better while on the way to the bank with the cheque in my pocket.

I think I see a small forest begining to sprout. :lol: Count me in.

5.gif
I know Im dumb as a tree, and now Im more confused then a teenage boy, buying condoms for the first time.
:lol::lmao::lol:

I think I know what you mean, but not sure as that condom buying thing did never confuse me, it just made me blush, but I understood what it was all about ;)

I think I see a small forest begining to sprout. :lol: Count me in.

Woo hoo...Partaa in the pro forums.
2.gif
Oh wait...we should move it to a more fun place. :lol::lmao::lol:

I think I know what you mean, but not sure as that condom buying thing did never confuse me, it just made me blush, but I understood what it was all about ;)
I witnessed it a few months back. The kids head was on a swival that would have made a tennis spectator proud. He was back and forth back and forth, till he reached out...snatched the package and was off like a brides garter belt. I wish I could have got a pic of his face.

No, that would be tree is a crowd... lol

Jerry? You been watching too many Habs games. :lol:

I witnessed it a few months back. The kids head was on a swival that would have made a tennis spectator proud. He was back and forth back and forth, till he reached out...snatched the package and was off like a brides garter belt. I wish I could have got a pic of his face.

Face it, he probably stole it and you witnessed a crime :lol:

I <3 money. Me =/= Ethically or morally "correct"

I gotta admit, I still don't get this.

Jon

I was wondering why so many people with a camera feel that they can go all the way to being a Pro Photographer (pro by definition in this case meaning a person earning an income off their photography).

Firstly I want to say this post is in no way a rant about people wanting to achieve Pro status, I am not one "in the business" (ain't never sold a print) this is just me thinking out a why - I will also be very disappointed if this thread turns into a rant.....

So I started to think why do people want to turn pro - to have others pay for their images. Well we have all heard the common answerers that people say - I want to the hobby to pay a bit for itself - I just want a bit of money on the side - I want to get out of my job and into this more fun job. But I think there is another reason as well, one which most people don't think of on a conscious level, but is there all the same.
Consider the praise given to a photographer for their works - how much does it cost to give a compliment to others regarding a photo?
Nothing - it costs nothing to say to a person that a photo looks fantastic (when in fact it might just be decent); it costs nothing to click to add a vote to a photo; nor to add a comment online (especially if you use ctrl+v). Also one can get a complex built up around them - friends (both online and offline) who will handout praise in the highest order to images which the photographer thinks themselves might just be ordinary photos.
Now lets turn the tables - lets say that commenting on a photo cost you money - the amount depending on how good the image is to you - so a poor image might cost you £0.20 whilst a stunning one £30. Now would our photographer see a difference in comments - well that would truly depend on how many people really did think it was a great photo - enough to warrant some cost to themselves.

However one cannot charge people to give an opinion - no one would do it - so the only other way is to branch out and sweeten the deal - give the commenter a photo to take away - but of course only if they compliment the photo ;).

Ergo the subconscious move to wards acceptance and praise is to move towards being a pro - to move towards having people think enough of your photos to part with their own property (in this case in the form of money) in order to own the photo. And no matter what some say we are a pack species, thus praise and acceptance by the pack (society) is something that we strive for - though some keep very small packs and there are some that truly do strike out alone, but for the majority it holds true that we want acceptance.

Alternative thought;

Dreams and fantasies are part of us and necessary to our health and well being. Sometimes if we act on these thoughts they become a reality. We don't know if we don't try. If we try, and give it our best shot, then at least we tried. If we don't, well, then we never know. Failure is just a word- a fear. So at least in my opinion there's nothing wrong with hoping, dreaming, fantasizing, or trying to do anything you want to. ****, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow anyhow.

<3 = kiss or heart (i.e. love), guys. He was saying he loves money.

Man you people are old... and I'm 37! Sheesh. :)

Alternative thought;

Dreams and fantasies are part of us and necessary to our health and well being. Sometimes if we act on these thoughts they become a reality. We don't know if we don't try. If we try, and give it our best shot, then at least we tried. If we don't, well, then we never know. Failure is just a word- a fear. So at least in my opinion there's nothing wrong with hoping, dreaming, fantasizing, or trying to do anything you want to. ****, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow anyhow.

definatly not going to argue against that :)

Alternative thought;

Thank you.
I'm just getting started in photography at 50 years old. In the back of my mind is a fantasy that I will have this artistic talent to be able to take pics like some I've seen in Life mag, or National Geo. Haunting, beautiful pics. Pics that people will love.
Along side that fantasy there exists the thought of getting rich for my talent/work/art. Paid so that I don't have to sweat the 9-5 anymore. paid big. hahahaha.
Why not ?
I think the money part is also a part of being having your stuff validated. If they're paying big for it, or even if they are just talking about it a lot, it's a validation that your art is real. The money wouldn't hurt either.

May never happen, most likely won't, but it's still back there. A seed of a dream. The small seed is actually the reason I'm going to a photography shop today to do some research.

:))

Most reactions

Back