sunlioness

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just arrived in the UK and I think I'm going to st
Website
sunlioness.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As, I guess, is the case with many of the forum members here, English is not my mother-tongue and although I am quite fluent with it there are certain posts that literally, give me a headache! My spelling isn't perfect but nothing is easier than installing a language pack to your browser that will tell you when you got something wrong. And of course, there are some widely accepted abbreviations that are used in the web, but I don't see the need for typing down things the way they are pronounced (e.g. tonite or 2nite instead of tonight. Why? it's not even that shorter!). And "sence" I noticed that some of you are irritated by it too, I decided to post a text that is not mine (it's from another forum), but I think that perfectly fits the situation.

Since this is an educational site, the members endeavour to impart knowledge to one another. In order to make a clear, unambiguous knowledge transfer a common medium, or protocol, is required. On these forums that medium is generally the following: English.

There are a smattering of other languages as well (not to leave anybody out) but that's the major one. Almost everybody speaks (or attempts) at least two languages and knows how to use a translator for those they don't directly speak themselves.

When a '313373 d00d' uses far too many abbreviations, cool misspellings or leet speak and slang it disrupts this flow of knowledge. Those people here, to whom English is a second language, often use a translator to be able to get a clear understanding of what's actually being said. Thus the fractured, mangled writing used by script kiddies does not translate and these people, our forum's brethren, are unable to share in that exchange. This is very unfair.

It doesn't matter what base language is used, slang, misspellings and other k-kool and k-rad ways of expression in fact obfuscate the message.

This is why the rule exists and why, if you want to get along with people here, you will follow it. It is not because we are teaching English or are snobs, it's because of simple courtesy to a world-wide audience of highly intelligent volunteers.

Using K-Kool speech does not show how leet and wonderful you are, it instead shows your ignorance and total disregard for others who are using this site to exchange knowledge and ideas. This attitude will only get you isolated and eventually banned as no one will want to answer your questions or deal with bothering to get out their 'leet-boy' decoder rings to figure out what you said. We know what you said, you said:

"I'm an ignorant, selfish, boorish person with nothing useful to impart."

This is a community of intelligent people, if you want to be accepted and take part, then use proper language, spelling and grammar to impart as precise a message as possible. This will allow others to translate your meaning into other languages as easily as possible and to be able to take part in all discussions and enjoy this forum as it is meant to be enjoyed.

Your use of proper language, spelling and grammar shows your intelligence, respect and regard for the other members and makes this forum a more professional and easy to use resource.

I hope this helps to clarify the reasons the rule exists and why you should comply with it.

-Daremo

Now, I think this guy said it best. Now, it's time for the forum's giants to let us no what they think about it.

I agree totally. Who is going to hire an illiterate photographer? What customer is going to trust a photographer for a wedding whose so-called attention to detail does not cover coherent expression or acceptable spelling?

In forums such as this, how can you sound even remotely credible if you are incoherent and cannot put together a sentence with some meaning? Why would an educated person trust someone who sounds or writes like an idiot with an important photography assignment?

If you are not willing to learn how to express yourself coherently with good grammar and spelling, why should anyone consider that you are at all interested in learning anything about photography?

skieur

Unfortunately this comes from the age of text messaging.

What really gets me is hearing the stories of high school (and some college) students turning in papers using that crap.

Truly the slang is useless, but every language has it. Anybody that is stupid enough to write like that (outside of texting) deserves what they get. It's an unfortunate part of texting, in a effort to maximize space, words get chopped.

What I don't get, is most people don't even use an entire text message when sending messages, abbreviated as slang or not.

I agree totally. Who is going to hire an illiterate photographer? What customer is going to trust a photographer for a wedding whose so-called attention to detail does not cover coherent expression or acceptable spelling?

In forums such as this, how can you sound even remotely credible if you are incoherent and cannot put together a sentence with some meaning? Why would an educated person trust someone who sounds or writes like an idiot with an important photography assignment?

If you are not willing to learn how to express yourself coherently with good grammar and spelling, why should anyone consider that you are at all interested in learning anything about photography?

skieur

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

As a teacher, I see the most butchered attempts at the english language, and an even worse attempt at spelling it. One thing that has contributed greatly to kids having no idea how to structure a proper sentence, or punctuate correctly, is Microsoft Word. It corrects simple punctuation mistakes and spelling. I see the same mistakes year-after-year. Arrrrggghhh! (<------ I hope that is spelled correctly) As an advertising professional, correct spelling and grammar is essential. I can't believe how much my juniors, yes, kids in 11th grade, do not know how to spell. Utterly disgusting; you can thank "no child left behind" for that crap.
I detest Microsoft and no-child-left-behind laws.

Last edited:

I know quite a few well-known, talented and very well paid photographers whose grammar and spelling is atrocious, though their ability to communicate orally is none the worse for it. One's talent as a photographer or other visual artist and one's abilities as a grammarian do not appear to be connected in any way.

I do agree, however, with the general sentiment expressed in the first post:
' Using K-Kool speech does not show how leet and wonderful you are, it instead shows your ignorance and total disregard for others who are using this site to exchange knowledge and ideas. This attitude will only get you isolated and eventually banned as no one will want to answer your questions or deal with bothering to get out their 'leet-boy' decoder rings to figure out what you said. We know what you said, you said:

"I'm an ignorant, selfish, boorish person with nothing useful to impart." '

Best,
Helen

:er:
I am guilty of talkin slang all the time. I pretty much type how I talk, and I aint gonna change, it, cause I aint gonna be a professional photographer. :lol::lol::lol: Wow...I sooooooo dont belong here anymore.​

Never had any problem reading what you've written Chiller.

BTW..... ain't has an apostrophe in it :lol:

So.... you want the mods to ban users with bad grammer?

Now, it's time for the forum's giants to let us no what they think about it.
Well, I'm no forum giant, but I can tell you that TPF welcomes all manner of photographic skill sets in its members - and that includes a usually younger set, more prone to using the "K-Kool speech" (I've never heard this term before) described in this post.

I appreciate the sentiment behind this poster's words. As an international site, surely the less slang that's tossed around, the better it is for those who read and speak English as a secondary language.

That said, it will be a cold day in hell before I add language to the TPF guidelines that proper Queen's English must be used in all posts "if you want to be accepted and take part" - or face eventual banning. :er: Please.

Those who take their photography seriously will learn soon enough that good communication is essential if they want to take it to a professional level.

In the meantime, it is not the function of forum moderators to impose grammar lessons on those skater-dude types who are cruising through here merely to post some pictures and have a few laughs. On a forum this size, there is room for all types, and tolerance is such a beautiful thing. So is the Ignore List feature - always available to shield one's eyes from potentially offensive posts, including those by members who insist on treating internet forum chat with the same fast-food approach used to text message their friends.

What of it? ;)

Chiller,

Your language seems clear enough as it is. Some of us have had to make a big effort to be understood. Many visual artists struggle with verbal language, and it would be silly to disregard their contributions because of any such failing.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back