Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
***This question is mostly directed at those who – like me – are not
making money out of photography but have two (or more) bodies***

I've just upgraded to a D300 and am having a tough time deciding what to do with my old, trusty D70s.

Should I keep it? What for?

Thanks for your help!

If you don't make money shooting you don't really 'need' 2 bodies...

That said, I often regret selling my D40 after I got my D90, was a nice little camera.

If you don't make money shooting you don't really 'need' 2 bodies...
That's what I'm thinking. I just want to see why some people like me have two bodies before I make the mistake of selling my camera for a bag of basketballs.

I have 4 bodies now. I'm a packrat. I'll keep the film body because you just never know when........ I didn't sell the D80 after getting the D300 because I didn't feel the resale was worth the loss. I have two sons and was hoping one of them might pick up the addiction and I could pass it on. Besides that, when I want to go small the D80 does take nice photos. The D300/D700 are the workhorses and compliment each other quite nicely. Did I mention that I'm a packrat? I blame my mother......... for soooo many things, but love her all the same. :)

Even if you're not making money, keep it. What if something happened to come up and you couldn't use the 300?

That's what I shoot with along with a D80. I usually keep a wide angle on the 80 with a flash bracket and the 80-200 on the 300 and take advantage of it's good higher ISO capabilities. That way, I won't have to change out lenses. More lens changes=more room for dust to get on the sensor.

That's just me though

~Michael~

I have two bodies and I'm just a hobbyist. Mine have two very different capabilities though. One is probably the best studio camera made right now (5DMk2) and the other is one of the best action/sports/indestructible bodies made (1DMk3). Depending on what I'm doing/shooting I choose accordingly.

If you had two bodies with pretty much the same capabilities... I guess you're just keeping the other one around in case you need to send your primary one in for service... which probably won't be all that often. In the case of a D70 and D300, you'll probably shoot the D300 all the time given it's far superior to the D70.

Maybe if you have a buddy interested in photography but doesn't want to spend the money right now, you could keep it and loan it to him/her. Then you have a shooting buddy. I did that for a while with my 50D, but then he stopped shooting with me.

Maybe if you have a buddy interested in photography but doesn't want to spend the money right now, you could keep it and loan it to him/her. Then you have a shooting buddy. I did that for a while with my 50D, but then he stopped shooting with me.

Great idea. I just would like to find someone to use my D80 to learn shooting and maybe could second shoot with me

~Michael~

As a hobbiest, I don't really see much of a need for two bodies...
But- If I had two bodies, I would keep both of them.

Actually, I would probably have one (the cheaper one) converted to IR, but that's me...

I have two for the same reasons as Tharmsen. The 5DII for studio and portrait, 40D for sports and some wildlife shooting. Another reason is that I have a back up as this is a source of income for me. If you do this for money, or think you will, have a backup.

***This question is mostly directed at those who – like me – are not
making money out of photography but have two (or more) bodies***

I've just upgraded to a D300 and am having a tough time deciding what to do with my old, trusty D70s.

Should I keep it? What for?

Thanks for your help!

If it were me, I'd keep it. The D70s still takes good photos. A buddy of mine owns one and still uses it for his business.

Like Michael said, put a wide angle zoom on one and a telephoto zoom on the other, photojournalism style. I'll be doing the same thing when I upgrade from my D80.

This thread made my buy a D60 body :lol:

Grrr...

OK, my reasoning (non-pro, non-money making):

D90:
Majority of use, especially when light will be an issue.

D60:
Smaller body, will use for packing light. Why did I get rid of my 35 f/1.8 lens!? Will also be used by my wife, lighter and easier to handle.

Last edited:
And it's always nice to have that camera that you AREN'T worried about.

My second body get's hung out the car with a reserve lens for stuff like this:
ChevyAd.jpg

A single errant rock destroys everything. But I'm not worried about it. :)

As someone who professionally works on high availability equipment I can offer you one simple question.

What is the cost to you of NOT having a spare?

This question is answered different by different people. For me I would hate to be without A camera but I have a film camera if my only digital body breaks down.

Well, in the digital world my second body is a point and shoot ;), but back when I used film I had two bodies. When I'd go out hiking I was able to keep a 135mm lens on the one and a 35mm lens on the other. It saved a lot of time in lens switching.

Most reactions

Back