Why?

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by abraxas, Aug 20, 2006.

1. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi,

Something that has always amazed me is that when I show my photos I get a considerable amount of ooo's and ahhh's. I like that fine; but, when this photo comes up, things go dead. This is one of my favorite all time shots, probably because of sentimental reasons (a guy has to have at least one good day per lifetime). What is it I'm not seeing?

[​IMG]

2. Indecent Exposures

Indecent Exposures TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not sure - it gets an 'ooh' (and indeed an 'ahh') from me.

In my experience it's more difficult to appreciate landscape photos as there is no part of the shot for the viewer to immediately fix on - an object, person etc. Unless you were there with the photographer it's sometimes difficult to appreciate just how spectacular the scenery was.

3. DeepSpring

DeepSpring TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i dont see whats wrong with it either its an oohh ahhh for me. Probally what indecent exposures said

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you ask me, then I must say I just don't understand those who ooo and aaah over all your other pics but not this one.
    This is so very MUCH a photo to oooo and aaaah over!
    The scenery is spectacular, the water is extremely still, producing a perfect reflection, you managed to get it play-card-like mirrored, which I like very much in this case ... have you not shown it LARGE enough, maybe?

5. Fangman

Fangman No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like this and wish I had taken it - It would be on my wall.

I think Competition Judges would mutter something about thirds. (We always disagree with their verdicts at club). Try a crop reducing the foreground to bring the shoreline down from midway in the image. It will upset you and those beautiful reflections but may not be so confusing to the eye.
    Now I will sit back and wait to be shot down!
    Can I attach a cropped version? Thanks for permission
    [​IMG]
    Slightly shorter [​IMG]
    or letterbox

6. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the crop. As it is, it comes off as an abstract to me. Abstracts can be great, but it gets confusing when it's not obviously an abstract. Plus I've found that fewer people care for them. Plus there's the dicomfort of feeling like I'm upsidedown when looking at it this way.

7. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It may be just because it is such a typical landscape shot. People have seen it before. Mountains and sky reflecting in still water with centered horizon is wonderful to view in person, but it's been so overdone as a subject that people aren't impressed. Something in the foreground might help, but it would still be very typical scenic photograph. I think that composing so the horizon was higher, cropping out the half line of clouds might help. I also like Mark's idea of it as an abstract, but I would rotate it 90 degrees clockwise.

8. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sure, go ahead. I wouldn't mind seeing a different crop.

9. I like it, but it doesn't have an obvious subject, and everything is far away. That might be part of the problem for some viewers - they need an object to lend it context and scale, such as a house in the distance or a moose in the foreground.

10. Fangman

Fangman No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks - have posted a ouple of options above.

I think I prefer the wider view for the wall although it loses some of the original scene.

11. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    As an aside;

Your print is a mirror-image with the horizon set at the center. Technically beautiful, but static. As a general rule, when the horizon line is placed further from the center, the print will be less 'peaceful' and more 'dynamic.' With prints that are not mirror-image, there may be definite benefits in placing the horizon line near to or in the center. The 'rule' is a double-edged sword.

12. DVJLabonte

DVJLabonte TPF Noob!

I look at this and I don't see the ohh and aww about it. However I am sure that can be fixed, because techinically this is a sound image. Aside from the centered horizon, another think that really lays to my dissatisfied feeling is the place where the land dips. Its not center, or on a 3rd and really makes me feel that the image is lopsided when its not.

Also, the clould at the very top left (and reflected bottom left) being 'cut' bothers me slightly as well. Not sure why on that, perhaps its because the reflection of that cloud has a completely different hue.

Aside from that, I know the colors might be very close to the orginal, but perhaps a bit of an enhancement could really bring this one to life.

Remember, this is all my opinion.