Wide angle lens for Rebel XT, which one?

Dark Anghell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, haven't posted here in a while. So I finally got a non paying photography job! I will be shooting modified cars, events (car related), etc. I already have a 50mm 1.8 prime that I use once in a while when I have plenty of room to work with. But for the rest of the pictures I am stuck with 18-55mm lens that came with the camera.

I shoot 70% of the time in wide angle, I love how the pictures look, but know that overall quality can improve if I finally replace my kit lens. Currently I have Rebel XT, but eventually want to move to a full sensor camera like 5D Mark II or even 20D (if I can't afford 5D), so the lens I get should be able to work with XT and the new camera. Some of the pictures will be in low light conditions, so faster lens is good. My budget is $500 at the very most.

So far I've looked at Tokina 10-17mm f3.5-4.5 ATX lens...but curious to see what else is out there that may be faster (f2.8 for example).

...and the most recent pic I took...just because ;)
IMG_3891.jpg

Any help will be appreciated.

I don't know if it's wide enough for you, or whether or not you really want a zoom, but the 20mm F2.8 USM is pretty awesome.

I also like the 28mm F1.8. It's faster than the 20mm but not as wide.

love my tokina 11-16 f2.8

The Tokina sounds more along the lines of what I'd want. 17th ST Photo has these on backorder, and Ebay doesn't have any. Any suggestions on where else to look?

I will also vote for the Tokina 11-16, but it will now work on a full frame, or its not designed to, but I have put it on a 35mm camera, an it does cover the whole frame from about 15-16mm but no wider. So you can use it as a 16mm 2.8 prime.

The quality of the lens is excellent, and I actually find myself using this lens quite when I lighting sucks, so the 2.8 is great and with such a short focal length I can hand hold really long exposures.

This is a very cool lens to have in your bag.

If you just want to replace your kit lens with something sharper, faster, and all around better, than look into the Tamron 17-50 2.8, there is also a new VC(vibration compensation or what canon calls IS).

I think B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders has both in stock right now for canon.

Interesting...since my crop factor is 1.6 I think, shooting with 11mm on XT will have same outcome as 16mm on full frame camera like 20D or 5D.

This lens will be used for moving car shots, and some in low light conditions...I think 2.8 will open up enough to capture the light while
keeping speeds below 1 second.

Now if I can find one below $500...so far I've seen prices around $640 :(

Do you guys think it may be worth it to wait, save up more $ and get Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS lens?

Love my Sigma 10-20 and my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8

Got to put up a bump for the GTI!

Just because lol

can't you get a 17-40 f4 L lens for around that?

Most likely, but when shooting moving shots at dusk or at night, f4 won't be fast enough. Even with f3.5 I had to slow down shutter speeds to 1-1.5 seconds. I want to keep them around '30...also it would be nice to just shoot hand held instead of using tripod at all times for static pictures of cars.

Most reactions

Back