Skydiving with a camera.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Felix0890, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Felix0890

Felix0890 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Is it crazy? I'm planning on going skydiving soon and I'm wondering if taking my 450D with me would be crazy. I'm not worried about it falling or anything since I'll most likely have 50 straps and a roll of tape connecting it to me just to be safe. :lol: Oh and probably a ziplock bag to help protect it a bit.

What I'm worried is that it will get A) moisture - it's pretty humid down here and although I'll try to pick a day that's dry, there's still a chance of the weatherman being wrong. B) Dust - is there dust up there? If so, dust + a very fast moving object = higher chance of it getting in the lens. C) Air pressure - would it mess anything up in the internal elements of the camera and lens?

If I do take my camera up (and down) with me, I'll probably use my 50mm since it's easily replaced. So is it crazy to take my non-weather-sealed camera sky diving with me? Anyone done it before?

Please and Thanks
    -Felix

2. syphlix

syphlix TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lol how experienced are you... i'd prob be more worried about staying alive!

3. Felix0890

Felix0890 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Experienced in skydiving? If I'm jumping off a plane at extreme altitudes, you can bet I know what I'm doing. ;)

4. Stormchase

Stormchase No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    People do it all the time. They are always securely mounted tho. Helmet cameras are the most common.

5. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My first question would be if the skydiving company will even allow it. Have you checked into that? Aside from that, I don't know how interesting of shots you could get (but that's possibly just me). Personally, I'd rather just enjoy the experience rather than trying to compose shots and play with camera settings. I guess I don't have any advice on the matter, but those were my initial thoughts :)

6. gian133

gian133 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Not sure on dust and whatnot, but maybe you could somehow mount a camera pouch to you chest that way when you get ready to land you can put it in there so its not loose and flying around getting banged up.

Just the first thing that came to mine.

good luck. should get some interesting pictures. we better see them when your done lol.

7. Felix0890

Felix0890 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes the company I go skydiving with lets me have a camera with me. And about just enjoying the moment, I will with or without a camera. It won't be the first or last time I skydive. ;)

8. Goontz

Goontz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :thumbup:

9. TJ K

TJ K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it should work. I mean i know a dslr is different from a video camera but i mean i'm sure both are pretty sensitive and i've seen them filmed. Where do you go down here in miami?

10. LarissaPhotography

LarissaPhotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you do take it with you, I'd love to see some of the shots. That's something not every photographer has taken.

11. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just be AWARE.

Some twenty-five years ago, not far from where I live, an extremely experienced skydiver who happened to also be an extremely experienced photographer decided to combine his two hobbies. He spent some six months preparing a rig that allowed him to use his chin (I think) to activate the shutter.

As near as could be determined afterwards, there was no mechanical failure at all. He apparently got so enthralled with the shots he was taking that he simply forgot to open the 'chute.

12. Layspeed

Layspeed TPF Noob!

British Columbia, California & Philippines
    Photos OK to edit
    YIKES!!! Yes, please be careful but when you get back post those pics! :thumbup: