Will getting a DSLR really make that much of a difference?

Baaaark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just curious. I have a point-and-shoot, and my photos are mediocre. Everyone on here seems to have a DSLR, but yet they also say the best camera is the one you have.

I don't know if I will see any improvement in image quality or detail (of course I won't in composition or lighting). I just wonder if its really worth it.

I was just curious. I have a point-and-shoot, and my photos are mediocre. Everyone on here seems to have a DSLR, but yet they also say the best camera is the one you have.

I don't know if I will see any improvement in image quality or detail (of course I won't in composition or lighting). I just wonder if its really worth it.

It depends on your current skills. There will be one major factor that is limiting your photography. If your photography (composition and exposure mainly) skills are not up to par, then a DSLR is not going to improve your pictures much. Maybe post a few examples of your photos for us to get a better idea of whether your skill would benefit from the upgrade.

There are also more flexibility. You can't shoot with the DOF of a D90 and 85mm f1.4/f1.8 if you are using a Canon Powershot. Same goes for being able to control apertures and all that. While some point and shoots do offer these adjustments, the range is much, much less.

Honestly, it WILL make a significant difference. I wont be the one to explain all of the differences it can make, but for me, using a P&S was very limiting because achieving shallow depth of field is not as easy as with an SLR. I think it's an important consideration, but just my two cents about one of the (probably many) differences.

EDIT: well, I see my input was already mentioned above. So, I will just give you this: http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/advantage-of-digital-slr-cameras.html so I don't feel this was completely useless.

Last edited:
There is a big difference in the image quality between P&S and DSLRs. This is because the image sensor in a P&S is really small compared to the image sensors in DSLRs. When it comes to image sensors, size does matter.

You can use a P&S camera to learn composition, exposure and basic photography but eventually you'll want to move up to a DSLR.

Digital Camera Sensor Sizes

I've posted some shots already if you want to look back through my posts.

They're okay. About a 4 out of 10 usually. I'm no Abraxas (he is really good), but I aspire to be.

I think it may be nice because I like to go really wide angle sometimes and can't. I keep wanting to get these sweeping landscapes and my camera's bottom end is 36mm...

There is a big difference in the image quality between P&S and DSLRs. This is because the image sensor in a P&S is really small compared to the image sensors in DSLRs. When it comes to image sensors, size does matter.

You can use a P&S camera to learn composition, exposure and basic photography but eventually you'll want to move up to a DSLR.

Digital Camera Sensor Sizes

Honestly, it WILL make a significant difference. I wont be the one to explain all of the differences it can make, but for me, using a P&S was very limiting because achieving shallow depth of field is not as easy as with an SLR. I think it's an important consideration, but just my two cents about one of the (probably many) differences.

The actual IQ will be better, but if somebody has a horrible time with composition and exposure, the pictures will look absolutely none better and possibly even worse.....Overexposing a shot with a centered subject is going to look bad regardless of the camera. No sense in dropping a grand on a new setup if your skills aren't up to par to take advantage of that upgrade.

They're okay. About a 4 out of 10 usually. I'm no Abraxas (he is really good), but I aspire to be.

I think it may be nice because I like to go really wide angle sometimes and can't. I keep wanting to get these sweeping landscapes and my camera's bottom end is 36mm...

From the quick glance I did, it looks like you have a lot to improve on...BUT, it looks as if you are working hard to improve those areas. So yes, I think you would benefit from an upgrade to a DSLR.

From the quick glance I did, it looks like you have a lot to improve on...BUT, it looks as if you are working hard to improve those areas. So yes, I think you would benefit from an upgrade to a DSLR.

I am going to get one anyway. And I guess that way the camera will do what I need, and my composition will just get better. :)

Thank you.

i'm not sure where you're located but here in Toronto there's a store that rents only photography equipment. if you have something like that where u're located then I'd suggest rent a camera with good lens for a weekend when you're planning on going somewhere and see if thats something you're comfortable with (speaking about taking pictures and the end result). point and shoots do have an advantage of not weighing that much so carrying them around isn't a big deal.

Not only is there an improvement in the image quality, but the DSLR will give you creative avenues you never knew were possible with a camera. The camera is just one small piece of the "good picture" equation though. With a DSLR you can go with an off camera flash, strobes, creative lenses (like wide angles) and even zoom lenses that far exceed anything even the best P&S currently offers.

Not only is there an improvement in the image quality, but the DSLR will give you creative avenues you never knew were possible with a camera. The camera is just one small piece of the "good picture" equation though. With a DSLR you can go with an off camera flash, strobes, creative lenses (like wide angles) and even zoom lenses that far exceed anything even the best P&S currently offers.

This is a good point. My intent is to (in about 5-15 years) be good enough to be a professional and take photos of people. I'll definitely need a DSLR for that, especially considering I'll need to start now in order to take good enough photos then.

I also can tell a difference in color reproduction. I swear on my camera there's a lot of "dots" in skies where the color isn't true throughout the whole photo. It looks like crap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back