With all the New Stuff out. What are You Excited About!

CHEERS! Historically, I lost my job when unemployment rates started to climb (bad luck?). Not this time! Woohoo! :thumbup: <knock knock>
I'm the opposite. Can't get excited about something that I couldn't afford until about 5 generations of new stuff later is released and you can't get what is exciting now.

I wish people in these expensive hobbies would share where they work so I could get a job there.

Living in the country has plenty of advantages, but has plenty of employment and salary disadvantages as well.

I'm excited with the hope in the drop in price of some of the older stuff making it fall into my current budget. :)

Yes.

And I am excited/hopeful that when I finally finish the many years of school I am subjecting myself to, Pentax will have a high-end body with a full-frame sensor for me to reward myself with. Hear that, Pentax? Four years to get your act together . . .

I am excited to switch to Canon from Nikon when they ship my pre ordered 5D Mark II

You know, it always makes me smile when I see someone that has found something exciting enough to jump ship from one brand to another (irrespective of brand). I can promise you that when it arrives, you are going to be very hard to find by family and friends for at least 2 months... lol

Me... I was a little "meh" about the D3 when it first came out... then it piqued my interest. When the D700 came out, I raised an eyebrow and again after a bit went into "meh" mode (lol). Then I started hearing more and more about the performance lack of noise at high ISO and realized I had always considered this as an important and missing aspect for me.

Either before or after Christmas, I'll be ordering a new D700 and a few accessories. That is something that excites me and since it is a relatively new camera, does qualfy as "new technology".

I wish some old stuff would come back. I didn't buy enough of it when I had the chance. Now I am limited to what I can find at used sellers and ebay.

I did buy a new D300 though. Not becasue I was really excited too. But just felt it was the time to move up a spot or two digitally.

-------------

Last edited:
I'm excited that my many film cameras have not significantly gone down in
value recently as have my few digital cameras. :mrgreen:

I'm also excited that Kodak has a new film out (Ektar 100) that is creating
lots of good buzz. Will try to pick some up this weekend.

I'm not sure if I agree... I just bought a MINT f5 for $300--just two years ago that would have cost me $1000+

* Leica S2. A very very bold move from a small nitch company. SLR size with MF sensor

This sounds VERY interesting. I went and did some research on it and finally found a site that quoted a price... $45,000.

I'm sure that will be an awesome camera, but unless something DRASTIC (lottery, inheritance from some long lost relative) happens to my finances, a system like that will never be in my reach. :cry:

This sounds VERY interesting. I went and did some research on it and finally found a site that quoted a price... $45,000.

I'm sure that will be an awesome camera, ....

Yup... I'd have to win the lottery too. It isn't a camera aimed at the market we all live in. Just like the multimillion dollar professional race cars, this camera is aimed at the commercial market slotted to compete those such as the Hasselblad. A Hassy CF39MS digital back + camera will run pretty much in the same price range.

But..

Just like regular automobiles that benefited from race technology, much of the technology is slotted to trickle down to the lower line models. The owner of Leica has hinted towards the S2 being the proving ground for such concepts which we hope appear in their more "affordable" products. I quoted "affordable" since the "red dot" seems to command a high price and everything cost wise with Leica is relative (expensive).

I'm the opposite. Can't get excited about something that I couldn't afford until about 5 generations of new stuff later is released and you can't get what is exciting now.

I wish people in these expensive hobbies would share where they work so I could get a job there.

Living in the country has plenty of advantages, but has plenty of employment and salary disadvantages as well.

I get excited over technology and innovations in general... most of which are technologies beyond my reach financially.

Regarding photographic equipment, 90% of my stuff was purchased used at a huge discount back when I was dealing in used equipment. I buy bulk for resale but ended up keeping some of the stuff for my self (oops.. hand in the cookie jar). I later sold almost everything to fund a few fairly expensive items. I was treating it as a reward for my 5 years of working juggling 2-3 jobs at the same time... You wouldn't want to be in my work shoes right now... work/life balance is all screwed up. A stark contrast from a few years ago... some of my best photos were taken while unemployed

Grass always looks greener on the other side...

I am excited that the new high megapixel DSLRs don't appear to have significantly better image quality than the ones that came before no matter what the advertising hype says (see the comparisons of the Canon 40D and 50D at dpreview). That means I can buy the old cameras for even cheaper, and not suffer from gear envy! I can't wait to see what the 5D mkII does to the price of the 5D.

I'm enjoying cheap used gear popping up on craigslist. It's actually difficult to hold myself back sometimes.

Im excited about all these ballers buying the new toys and selling there old for dirt cheap! :lol:

I'm enjoying cheap used gear popping up on craigslist. It's actually difficult to hold myself back sometimes.

no joke, 3 nikon strobes poped up on craigslist all under $100.. im fighting it hard though because a d300 and d90 have my name on it.

-------------

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back