Wonderful!!! Now everyone will justify working for free

I just want to throw this one in here... trying out my prophetic skills...

This thread will end with otters.

Now... :popcorn:

Bottle fed?

... trying out my prophetic skills...
My crystal ball is still in for repairs.... **note to self...... call Etheral Estimates tomorrow**

Well, I'm going to start working for free.

And I'll tell two friends.

And they'll tell two friends.

And they'll tell two friends.

And so on, and so on, and so on ...

1.gif
Free smilie taking pics for free.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

JEEEESUS, again?

Alleh, why do you feel so threatened by everything? Low self-esteem? Lack of talent?
I'm getting ready to do some pro bono work for a fashion designer. Does that affect you? No, not really. However, if you sincerely feel that people working for free is going to hinder your demographic, you'd better consider stepping up your game. That would include cutting out the incredibly pompus attitude. When you're known outside of internet forums, maybe your attitude would be justified (but still not respected), til then, keep this sh*t to your self.

Edit: Forgot to mention - be careful to listen for the "pop"

It's the sound your head's going to make as you pull it out of your ass.

Oh no! I just thought of something. I went to a hockey game with some work buddies and I gave one of my photos to a guy for him to print and hang on his wall. I didn't charge him for the photo!

I'm one of them!!!!!! I'm doomed!!!

Don't take everything Hobby says as gospel. While he has a lot of great ideas and has helped the information highway immensely, you still have to take a lot of what he has to say with a grain of salt. When I read the article I saw where he was coming from, but still disagree. No, you don't have to work for free, and there are other ways around this problem.

I realized recently that while my photography has finally started to approach the level I've been shooting for, my business skills leave something to be desired. And I imagine this is a common situation, because the more photographers I meet the more alike we seem to be. Your work really seems to be at a high level, but it might be time to start working on the business side of photography more than you have in the past. Remember that it takes a lot more than just great photos to pull in the customers you're looking for. Currently I am working for several local magazines and a couple prominent photographers doing location portraits, second shooter at weddings, bar mitzvahs, and even (gasp) elementary school photos and proms. My attention to detail and humble approach has been getting me requested for higher level shooting all the time, and I am finally starting to fill my schedule. No, it isn't National Geographic or Vogue but at least I'm working and in the end that's what it's all about. So don't worry about all the hacks giving their work away for nothing because it's pretty rare that anyone is an overnight success without paying some pretty serious dues. Hang in there and you'll make it if you want it bad enough.

I do free photography for two charities, I guess I'm supposed to feel bad about that.

As a general rule, people get upset because they're defensive. Take care of your ****. Other people will do what they'll do. If you get this upset every time someone does a gig for free you'll die young of a stroke. Perhaps then we can stop talking about this.

There is a reason there are Ferrari's, Mercedes, Saabs, Fords, and Yugo's. There is a reason there are Louis Vuitton, Levi's, and Fruit of the Loom. There is a reason there is Nieman Marcus, Sears, Walmart, Dollar Store. There is a market for each. That is true economics!!! Photography is no different. There is a market for $25,000 weddings. There is a market for $5,000 weddings. And there is a market for $500 weddings or sittings. And as much as anyone can complain about it. There is a market for free weddings or sittings. Especially now that MOST everyone is worried about the economy.

Maybe someone's personal ecconomics is being hurt by the one of the other levels. But the fact is, there is a demand for each level. Supply and demand, the most basic of economics! People who only want to pay up to $500 for a wedding are only going to pay $500 for a wedding. They are not going to pay more. If no one will do a wedding for $500 they will do without! They don't move up to a $1,500 wedding photographer. They do without. Again that is basic economics! Should everyone that gets married have a good photographer. Yes, but not everyone can afford it. That's why there are multiple pricing levels for almost everything sold around the world! That is economics!

When I worked at the college newspaper. I never heard a word from the pros at the local paper. Even though I did submit pictures to the AP wire (had to be done at their office no less). They never complained once that I was paid 1/10th of what they were and did similar work that basically under cut them (especially when putting things on the wire, directly taking possible money from them). Matter of fact they came to us several times a year to give advice and critique our work. Why, probably becasue they were secure in their job, and didn't see us as competitors but as people learning the trade.

Now maybe someone wants to move up a level. And their work is similar to those that charge at a lower level. Now I see how a lower pricing individual may hurt the other. As the products are similar. So people will go for the lower priced option. But again that is economics. If a person truely has their products marketed at the propper level. The upper and lower levels will not affect him. Except in extreme cases like prolonged good times or bad times. Then the markets will shift and either move down a notch or up a notch. Again this is economics!

And one last point and I will be quiet. Do you believe all these people doing the free work or cheap work plan on keeping their fees that low? Of course not. They are using a catch to get some initial work and get a little exposure. For those that have helpers, or employ 2nd photographers. Do you pay them full rate as you do yourself? Most I have ever met do not. So in effect that person with the helper is employing excatly what is being complained about. A photographer who is willing to work for low wages to get experience. Only difference is the Main photographer is charging full rate and making more money.

Last edited:
Oh no! I just thought of something. I went to a hockey game with some work buddies and I gave one of my photos to a guy for him to print and hang on his wall. I didn't charge him for the photo!

I'm one of them!!!!!! I'm doomed!!!

oh yep...your doomed:lmao:
I donated 20 pics to a lady who had just wrote a book on surviving the death of her 10 year old son to cancer. She was a co-workers wife at another office, and I have never met her. I had one arrogant prick photographer say I should have charged her something for that ammount of pics. I said to him....I think she has paid enough of a price losing a son.
The book was published and is available at Indigo, and I do not get any royalties...nothing. On the front cover, she put my name, and on the inner sleeve she has a special thank you to me.
Sometimes it is not the money you make from a photo, but making somebody elses dream come true. :D

Oh :oops: ... I photographed my best friends' entire wedding for free and made the photo book I made out of the pics my wedding present to them, as well, plus gave them a CD for prints ... Oh dear-oh dear! Thank God I'm in Germany, too far away from most of you to really ruin your businesses like this :oops: !!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back