Would it be possible to freeze a film camera?

iwillmarryharry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I want to start a project which will involve using the same film past it's expiration date. I've heard that freezing the film will make it last considerably longer (although I don't know exactly how long..??) but I'd need to keep the film inside the camera. Will freezing the camera damage it? I'd keep it in a container to keep it safe and dry, but I don't know whether the temperature would prevent the camera from working properly.

I want to start a project which will involve using the same film past it's expiration date. I've heard that freezing the film will make it last considerably longer (although I don't know exactly how long..??) but I'd need to keep the film inside the camera. Will freezing the camera damage it? I'd keep it in a container to keep it safe and dry, but I don't know whether the temperature would prevent the camera from working properly.

I don't know for sure but the condensation from thawing it out could be bad.

I'm not 100% sure either about thawing it... I have gone over to my father in laws house and saw multiple rolls of film in his freezer... They were years old because hes gone to digital but apparently at some point it was okay to put them in there!

Yeah you can't freeze the camera...

I'm not 100% sure either about thawing it... I have gone over to my father in laws house and saw multiple rolls of film in his freezer... They were years old because hes gone to digital but apparently at some point it was okay to put them in there!

Yeah you can't freeze the camera...

If they are well sealed and thawed they will be ok

I've used film cameras down to -38 °C. As already mentioned, the potential problem is condensation when they are brought into a warmer place, and as already mentioned you just need to make sure that the camera is well sealed, and allow plenty of time for the entire camera to reach the new temperature. Vacuum sealing should not be necessary or even advisable in some cases. Just get as much air out of the Ziploc bag (or whatever) as possible.

How long will you be keeping the film in the camera? There may not be a need to freeze it, it may be OK in the fridge.

Best,
Helen

The real issue is moisture. Freezing causes freezer burn or loss of moisture. Conversely thawing causes condensation. The trick with optics is to "thaw" them while in a case so condensation does not contact them. As stated before.

I have removed film for later use as follows. Take note of the number of exposures. Rewind the film and listen for the tail to become free of the take up spool. Do not rewind any further or the tail will be wound into the cassette. Open and remove film to freeze and use later. To actually use later. Load film. With lens cap on take as many photos as the number of exposures plus one. Resume taking photos on the roll.

go ahead. freeze it. let us know how it turns out.

p!nK

I'm surprised no one asked why the film had to stay in the camera... :(

Take the film out, freeze it, thaw it, put it back in the camera. Done.

if you take the battery out and make sure the circuit bords are 100% dry before you fire it back up you should be fine, not sure on the lens though

I've used film cameras down to -38 °C. As already mentioned, the potential problem is condensation when they are brought into a warmer place, and as already mentioned you just need to make sure that the camera is well sealed, and allow plenty of time for the entire camera to reach the new temperature. Vacuum sealing should not be necessary or even advisable in some cases. Just get as much air out of the Ziploc bag (or whatever) as possible.

How long will you be keeping the film in the camera? There may not be a need to freeze it, it may be OK in the fridge.

Best,
Helen

I have used a film camera down to -40 Fahrenheit, along with going in and out of warmer buildings with no problem. Condensation is an immediate issue but it has disappeared after a while with no permanent effects or problems.

skieur

Most reactions

Back