Would you mind taking a look? (24 pics)

LCARSx32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.lcarsx32.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had SLRs for a few years now, but only recently got into the more advanced settings (I relied on "green" mode waaay too long). Here's some shots I've taken over the last 6 months or so. I would appreciate any constructive criticism you can give. I'm very exited now that I've found this site. Thanks! -Ray

*Edit*
I had 24 pictures here, but I began to think of the nightmare if you wanted to comment on any of them, so I've slimmed it down to the top 6.
*End Edit*

crossing.jpg

leave-me-be.jpg

main-st.jpg

mmmm.jpg

sassy.jpg

this-will-start-it.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Ray! Welcome to the forum! Good second thought! You get way better CC on a few than you do on many.

Over all your shots look good. The ones you seem to have taken the time to set up (2,3,4,&6) look better than the quick shots. 4&6 have the best color and exposure IMO but no matter how adorable the kid is (5) an over exposed shot is an over exposed shot. You did however do a nice job on 1 not blowing the sky out while shooting the RR signal.

Your DOF seems nice in most of them. I'm not crazy about it in 3. An armrest doesn't make much of a subject. I like 6 and 2 the best.

Composition could use a little work... You have the right idea and 4 is spot on. (4, BTW, is my favorite shot)

About the flames in 6... Nice job! Good exposure and color is nice... Shutter speed was a great choice! Just fast enough to show the flame and just slow enough to show motion.

Great work overall! Hope to see more in the future!

that cat one is great...and I hate cats...

1 and 2 have potential. The 3rd one doesnt do anything to me.

I agree with the other comments regarding exposure... but IMO, I think you need to decide on the story you want to tell. There are too many distractions in your photographs. I like the hamburger because it does get a message across. The others do not grab my attention.

I've posted 2 images that I cropped. See what you think of those. (I can't do much to help the exposure on the baby.)

Keep up the good work!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41778145@N06/4685128755/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41778145@N06/4685761902/

Last edited:
The photo's subject matter doesn't do too much for me, but I will point out what I see you could improve on, and what I see it correct or that I like.

1. Exposure is not bad at all. Looks pretty good
2. Straighten it out, and crop out the bottom, where the flash glare is.
3. Crooked as well.
4. I would have the same crop and angle on all 3 shots of the plate.
5. Overexposed, harsh shadows, cute expression.
6. The exposure looks good, other than that, not digging it.

Thanks everyone for posting. That's a lot of very good insight.

I have a quick question. On #3, what would be a better subject? Is there anything else in the shot you think would have been bettery? I agree, the bench's arm is a rather bland one. Maybe I should have waited for someone to walk down the walkway?

I think subject matter is what I need to work on most. Finding things that are interesting to look at, rather than just shooting whatever I happen to come across (I like trains/railroads, that's why I took #1)

I wish I would have anticipated #5. I had just taken pictures of some of my mother's flowers. Then she gave that look that was just perfect, so I just raised my camera and snapped a picture. I didn't want to loose that image! I'm glad I posted it, though. I got some good feedback.

Thanks again, everyone, for posting. If anyone else has thoughts, I'd love to hear them!

-Ray

As mentioned the exposure needs work. I like your composition, cute baby and the cat as well. Over all great start :thumbup:

i'm glad there not 24 to C&C on...i wud go insane! i'm glad u narrowed it down to ur best shots.

1) crop the bottom a bit....i like the white aurora
2) lol cool cat
3) boring...imo
4) like the ideas...the last picture seems to be a darker than the rest...
5) the steering wheel is cut off...wud liek to c the girl (main subject) moved over to the right a bit....light is very harsh on the girls dress...
6) i love fire pics. very coool

Thanks everyone for posting. That's a lot of very good insight.

I have a quick question. On #3, what would be a better subject? Is there anything else in the shot you think would have been bettery? I agree, the bench's arm is a rather bland one. Maybe I should have waited for someone to walk down the walkway?

#3 is just very busy, you have the cars on the right, doorknobs shining, lights are on in the overhang, overexposure, posts on the right, different colored store fronts. I am not sure what to focus on. Shallower depth of field perhaps if you wanted to focus on just the bench.

Thanks! She's my niece (my only one). This picture describes her perfectly, lol. The cat (he doesn't have a name) was sleeping like that. The flash woke him up. I wish I had taken a picture of the look he shot me.

Good moments in #2 and #5, but I think #4 is the best. Simple idea, no distractions, and I like the viewpoint change. What do people often do after a good meal? Sit back.

Number 1 is cool but a bit too much going on, Thinking the building distracts me from the sign, which is why i say that, however i agree with the aura/halo effect its a nice touch..
I love Number 2, crop a little and its fabulous..
Number 3, is too busy, I think a smaller DOf and more focus maybe on the bench ahead of that one, in your image, to lessen the busy side of things, "i have this problem a lot with my images, too busy"
4 is great, well thought out and photographed, and simple, funny how simple at times works best...
5 Its a shame the over exposure got you on this one, but her expression is priceless, so great capture, one of my Favorite photos of my son i took has this very same problem and I believe there isn't much one can do to resolve it.. (pe wise) lens filters help i believe (learning this too)( u can see what i mean here http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4262887515_3dfb05f15b_o.jpg) I would also crop it slightly and have more focus on her face..
6 is a good capture, fire is always fun to photograph, but the subject matter in that set up, is a little dull..

Awesome kick off though, your doing fabulous :)

no6 is so cool,great shot

Most reactions

New Topics

Back