Ya'll are gonna get tired of looking at me.

One of the tricky things in using a softbox is knowing how to "aim" it when it's coming in from the side. And that's the issue mostly; what you created was a big Easterly Wave of light...perhaps moving the soft6box three feet more "south-east" would have given a less raking, more of a 3/4 angle of light coming in.

And also, the exact placement of a reflector is pretty important. My opinion, based on how big that reflector is, and how dark the shadows are, is that the reflector was not "catching the wave" of light emanating from the softbox, or if it was catching the wave, it was not reflecting it into the shadows. Learning how to light things in a cramped location, using one's self as the subject, is a tedious process I would imagine. It's a LOT EASIER to light another person, so you can quite literally SEE how light placement changes manifest themselves.

It is definitely tedious! and very hit and miss. However, my stuffed teddy bear was making for some pretty boring practice sessions! lol. Ive got some friends willing to model, but I am hoping to get enough practice that I am not completely flying blind when I actually Do have a proper model.

Im sure you are right about the reflector not catching the light properly. I tried moving the reflector a few times. I can't remember which shots that was for though, my black attire wasn't helping things either. Here is one where I am not wearing black, and while I know I still didn't nail the lighting placement it appears to me at least that I achieved a better ratio. I think part of the problem is that I didn't place my soft box high enough and had it coming straight from the side instead of coming from above. Honestly, I wanted to put it higher but I was concerned with my light stand falling over! I need to figure out a weight system until I can purchase some offical sandbags. View attachment 64419

Nice, you look really cute with your glasses on. I love how you was able to get the shot without any glare as well.
Somehow I just caught this comment.
Thanks for the complement. I've never done any modeling other than for my selfies. I spent yesterday studying poses though and thought I would give some a try.

I know that everything has to come together to make a picture, but I find if I focus on one thing at a time it becomes a better learning experience instead of trying to think of everything all at once. Then when it "counts" I will hopefully have an easier time putting it all inplace.

Sounds smart, that is how i've been dealing with CS6...one tool/setting at a time.

I like the b/w better. Great subject by the way. I don't really like the background in the color shot. Too many folds. Does't work with the outfit. Maybe a 1920's style outfit with that backdrop, or move away from it some so it goes blurry.

I like the second one. I think the exposure is fine, your blacks have detail. My only suggestion would be to raise the light box higher. I guess it's just my style choice, but I'd like the shadows better from a higher angle. A nice image none-the-less.
Thank you for the compliment. :)
Nice, you look really cute with your glasses on. I love how you was able to get the shot without any glare as well. Sounds smart, that is how i've been dealing with CS6...one tool/setting at a time.
:blush: thanks. The glare thing was mostly luck. My PS skills are improving at a snails pace. :)

I like the second one. I think the exposure is fine, your blacks have detail. My only suggestion would be to raise the light box higher. I guess it's just my style choice, but I'd like the shadows better from a higher angle. A nice image none-the-less.
Thank you for the compliment. :)
Nice, you look really cute with your glasses on. I love how you was able to get the shot without any glare as well. Sounds smart, that is how i've been dealing with CS6...one tool/setting at a time.
:blush: thanks. The glare thing was mostly luck. My PS skills are improving at a snails pace. :)

A person could spend 10 years on PS and still not master it. So don't get frustrated if you're only moving at a Snail's pace. Keep on keeping on and you'll be an expert before you know it :thumbup:

A person could spend 10 years on PS and still not master it. So don't get frustrated if you're only moving at a Snail's pace. Keep on keeping on and you'll be an expert before you know it :thumbup:

Do you think the creators of PS have even mastered it?! Lol

Do you think the creators of PS have even mastered it?! Lol

Hum...probably not lol

OP- Are you photos okay to edit?

You can make your selection by going to "My profile"- "About Me"- then look for the "Are your photos okay to edit"- You can click yes or no.

If you click Yes, then when you have a question about this, some other members may edit the photo to show you their take on it, or what you could do to improve the photo. It can help a lot in some cases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back