Yayyy new lenses and question about filters?

SubOhmGirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I early this week I ordered a Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II DX and then last night I was cruising the let go app and found a Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED VR for $90 that I simply couldn't walk away from. Last night was my lucky night. It is beauuuutiful. I am stoked to have a good little budding collection of lenses. Next up is a reasonably priced macro lens and some flashes/basic lighting equipment.

My question, as I am a beginner still is I have seen several people mention using UV filters on their lenses to help protect them. What brands or types of filters do you recommend for my lenses? Please and thank you in advance.

None!!!! The front element of your lens is a LOT tougher than you think, and a lot harder to damage. Even the cheapest lens has hundreds of thousands of dollars of R&D behind it; does it really make sense to put another piece of glass in the equation? Something that add reflection, flare and other distortion? If you must, then buy a clear glass element from someone like Lee, Singh-Ray, B+W or Heliopan, but expect to pay $100+ for it. Your lens hood is the best protection you can use.

None!!!! The front element of your lens is a LOT tougher than you think, and a lot harder to damage. Even the cheapest lens has hundreds of thousands of dollars of R&D behind it; does it really make sense to put another piece of glass in the equation? Something that add reflection, flare and other distortion? If you must, then buy a clear glass element from someone like Lee, Singh-Ray, B+W or Heliopan, but expect to pay $100+ for it. Your lens hood is the best protection you can use.

I appreciate your knowledge, thank you.

I’ll echo the rest. Use lens hoods always, don’t bother with protective filters.

The exception to this is if I’m shooting somewhere very dusty/dirty/wet and my camera is getting covered with mud/dirt/water.. then I’ll use a UV filter just to make it easier to clean my front element in the field.

If 'protective' filters are such a great/fantastic idea, why don't lens manufacturers incorporate 'sacrificial' glass into the front of every lens?

Thank you. Glad to know I don't need one.

Please don't misunderstand. "need" should be qualified. As Destin wrote; (and I agree, you should do this) if you're in a particularly nasty environment (the beach, or anywhere there is dirt/sand blowing in the air) he uses a filter to protect the coatings. It is the coatings that are the softest part of the front element. You can scratch/wear the coatings by aggressive cleaning, so use care and clean your lenses according to proven safe methods.

Modern DLSR cameras don't need UV filters because that function is already included in the sensor and/or surface filters. (yes, your sensor has a filter)

"Desire" (not the streetcar) is: sometimes you will want a polarizer when shooting in certain conditions. It is not on there to protect the lens, but to polarize the light before it enters the lens.

You also don't need color filters, but some people still use them for special effects. You can do most colorizing effects in editing, so no need to purchase any color filters.

The reality of UV filters is this: The filter is easily broken in case of an impact. The shards of glass will then scratch the coatings on the front element. So where's the "protection" then? For telephoto lenses, the lens hood is often over an inch deep, which will help protect the coatings (and filter threads) in the case of some rough handling, and if you don't mind the extra "size" out there on the front, get a lens hood (plastic, metal, or rubber) and just keep it on. When you change lenses, that hood stays on that lens, and the other lens also should have a hood.

As to the UV part of the equation, they may be useful if you shoot color film in areas where UV light can be an issue, like mountains.

Do you need one? Probably not.

Do I use one anyway? Yes. I do not expect a $10 filter to protect from impact. That would be silly. I expect it to keep dirt/grime off the lens and not worry about just grabbing part of my shirt to wipe the filter clean when crap gets on it.

I have them on my lenses for the same reason listed above. I can clean the filter with my shirt or handkerchief. No fingers or scratches on the lens itself.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Please don't misunderstand. "need" should be qualified. As Destin wrote; (and I agree, you should do this) if you're in a particularly nasty environment (the beach, or anywhere there is dirt/sand blowing in the air) he uses a filter to protect the coatings. It is the coatings that are the softest part of the front element. You can scratch/wear the coatings by aggressive cleaning, so use care and clean your lenses according to proven safe methods.

Modern DLSR cameras don't need UV filters because that function is already included in the sensor and/or surface filters. (yes, your sensor has a filter)

"Desire" (not the streetcar) is: sometimes you will want a polarizer when shooting in certain conditions. It is not on there to protect the lens, but to polarize the light before it enters the lens.

You also don't need color filters, but some people still use them for special effects. You can do most colorizing effects in editing, so no need to purchase any color filters.

The reality of UV filters is this: The filter is easily broken in case of an impact. The shards of glass will then scratch the coatings on the front element. So where's the "protection" then? For telephoto lenses, the lens hood is often over an inch deep, which will help protect the coatings (and filter threads) in the case of some rough handling, and if you don't mind the extra "size" out there on the front, get a lens hood (plastic, metal, or rubber) and just keep it on. When you change lenses, that hood stays on that lens, and the other lens also should have a hood.
Omg. That is sooo much information I appreciate you so much. My camera came with a uv protective filter as well as a full set of color filters. I haven't touched them yet. I guess I don't have hoods for all of my lenses yet I have got 1. And 3 lenses.

You won't need any color filters. You can duplicate their effect in post.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back