YES!

I think the first one would have been stronger if you had a white reflector on your right, filling in "some" of the shadows and giving his face more texture. You have certainly an interesting subject.

The second image is interesting, but the OOF background (upper left) kinda intrudes. A bit of fill from your left would have balanced the highlight at the right somewhat.

i agree that lighting is an issue in these. i like the subjects, i like the close shot.

check where your light is coming from and use it to make sure that their faces aren't in shadow like that, especially if part of it is lit (ie, the first photo's left cheek and chin, but not his eyes or the rest of his face). turn your subject, use a reflector, use fill... something to have less haphazard lighting.

I agree with the comments above, was your DOF too shallow in number 2?

Other than that, these both could have been magnificent photos. You've got what it takes to spot an opportunity and to grab it. Like me you need to keep working on the details.
I looked at your other Flickr photos and am impressed. OOOOOdles of potential! Keep it up. ;) :thumbup:

Thanks Grandad! The aperture was 2.8. I will work on capturing more detail; perhaps exposing for longer?

Pgriz, Slalalone- I agree the the lighting could have been better; I will look for that next time!

CameraCanon EOS REBEL T3i
Exposure0.001 sec (1/1600)
Aperturef/2.8
Focal Length50 mm
ISO Speed100

Most reactions

New Topics

Back