Yet another TPF Selfie

the back wall is too close - withing 3 feet.
and there's a window there which gets lighting from the street

I found a dark red blanket .. and put it back there

yup, not exactly the perfect setup for a studio lol

much better, I like Robin's suggestion and where you're heading .

not having studio, a true photography bg or else mentioned here makes you be more creative. It doesn't make you a bad photographer

much better, I like Robin's suggestion and where you're heading .

not having studio, a true photography bg or else mentioned here makes you be more creative. It doesn't make you a bad photographer

I'm also trying to learn "studio" type techniques even with my limitations. So I ignore the BG etc as I learn.

But I also want to try to learn to be more creative too in lighting. So I try to emulate things from time to time, rather than just only "studio" type portraits etc. So alot to learn, along ways to go.

From time to time I'll peruse the internet looking for neat photos or techniques and try to duplicate them with what I have.

Can I just say - this is a perfect example of someone who takes CC from more experienced photographers as it's intended, then applies the suggestions and really moves forward in their technique. So often people get defensive. I'm not a portrait photographer by any stretch and can only ever comment like or dislike, but I love that you applied Robin's critique so thoroughly and really came up with something that caught my eye as much more interesting than the first shot. Well done!

This was pretty neat taking, still needs work though. (unedited except for cropping)
$aDSC_3462a.jpg

bro, you're underexposed!

bro, you're underexposed!
yeah but kinda neat. when I have brighter then the dark red blanket is seen. I moved more forward too to .... but have to figure out the exposure, backwall distance and such more .. ie, more practice and experimentation.

I always thought this was a good video on it:

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought this was a good video on it:

oh yeah .. I remember that stuff now. Gonna try it again when the kids are asleep.

so much to learn, and so much to easily forget !!

Last edited by a moderator:
slowly but surely .. added a hair light too .. or I guess more of a rear head light.
I pushed myself to the other half so there was 15 feet behind me.

setup time was *alot* faster than the previous shots. I think I settled on f/10 .. though could squeeze it some more. In the full photo I see the ceiling lights though very dim - which are about 3 feet away. Not very many options down here. ceiling is 6' and has 3 sets of multibulb long flourescents.
$bNKN_3675.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back