Yoko - Cosplay - Gun - Special FX - C&C PLS

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey folks:

Here's an image I put together from a cosplay shoot. I have the cosplayer in the air (she was originally sitting on top of a dude, whom I cloned out), and I added the gun firing and dust and what not. Would love some C&C, and if you'd like to take a crack at it yourself, I would welcome that as well.

for review.jpg

Hey man nice shot.

Neat concept. The one thing Id like to see is more movement, which direction is she travelling? Being blown back or jumping forward?

Was the background a layer? the light isnt mixing real well, more ground and a shadow could add tk the realism.

Yes, the background is a layer from an exposure taken in the same spot with the same lighting, just without the subject in the photo. I did add a shadow in that image but perhaps it's not pronounced enough?

She is sort of jumping back as she fires her gun. Any suggestions on movement? I should have had a fan blowing her hair the opposite direction, but eh.

LOVE it! Could you perhaps move the beads hanging from her bra? Cut and paste them so that they're showing the backwards movement.

I may have a go with it if I can steal the time. What a FUN concept! :D

OK, I stole an hour and enjoyed it thoroughly!
I moved the beads, moved the hair under her left arm, warped the gun strap, moved the breech smoke forward a bit and raised her about another foot off the ground to match the length of her leg (it's a pity her right leg wasn't bent at the knee a little - 20/20 hindsight ;) ).
Anyway, this is my take.
for_review3.jpg

Last edited:
The only thing I would watch if doing this again is the explosion around the action (where her hand is). Cosplayers are very good at seeing things that don't work. If a gun sent out an explosion there it would destroy her hand.

The only thing I would watch if doing this again is the explosion around the action (where her hand is). Cosplayers are very good at seeing things that don't work. If a gun sent out an explosion there it would destroy her hand.

Well... it's anime xD

And she's seen the image and loves it so far.

LOVE it! Could you perhaps move the beads hanging from her bra? Cut and paste them so that they're showing the backwards movement.

I moved the beads, moved the hair under her left arm, warped the gun strap, moved the breech smoke forward a bit and raised her about another foot off the ground to match the length of her leg (it's a pity her right leg wasn't bent at the knee a little - 20/20 hindsight ;) ).
Anyway, this is my take.
for_review3.jpg

Thanks for the edit, Grandad! I appreciate the different perspective - I may try emulating a few of these changes myself!

Anyway, this is my take.

You nailed it grand dad! :)

You also may want to soften the edges of her, this may blend her in a little more. Also maybe drop the vibrancy and brightness of the background just a tiny bit, so it doesn't distract from the subject.
If I have some time (and that is a big if) I may give some editing on it a shot for fun, I love PS composite work. :)

Great job though, I really enjoy seeing this cosplay stuff.

Did you use a flash? I feel as if the temperature of light on her is a bit too cool in comparison to the environment as well as the fire that's near her face; a warming gel on the flash would help, or processing the raw file used for her layer to be a warmer tone would fix it since you can't exactly go back and add a color gel after already taking the shot. I also feel that there could be a bit less sand flying around her feet. I agree that the explosion by her hand looks like it would injure her and looks sort of like the gun is malfunctioning. Just my two cents; otherwise it's not a bad shot.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help and insight, folks!

Here is my latest, and I think, final version. Is the lens flare too much, or no?

FAM_5120new smoke gone.jpg

Last edited:
very interesting action shot. Did you think about MUA on the skin I mean prior to shooting. I feel the comic style would profit immensely from that. Great model work apart from the missing full body MUA.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got concerns with the realism. Which is to say this is not at all realistic as it pertains to firearms.

Now that you've done all that work, it would be difficult to re-shoot, so never mind I guess.

For reference, this is the image I was inspired by....

http://i.imgur.com/wjxuym4.jpg

The gun in our photo was a bit more shoddy looking, so I used the sparks to kind of cover that up, but maybe went a little overboard.

Here is a version with the sparks toned down. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2016-12-06 at 12.19.09 PM.jpg

Most reactions

Back