You are not a Photographer

SabrinaO said:
I don't know why you felt the need to explain yourself. There is no excuse for those photos other than they are uninteresting and forgettable. The fact that you actualy went out to reshoot those tired photos shows your lack of creativity along with your lack of photography skill. So no.. I'm not gonna cc them because I would of just trashed them.

Just what I'd expect a no talent MWAC to say. I have experience on my side. What do you have? Oh right, Photoshop classes at the local community college!

Sorry folks, I just got bored with this thread so I'm done. Feel free to keep it going. Sabrina's not even trying to be clever anymore.

Oh and I'll take bets on when the thread locks, just PM me. I'm thinking page 11.

double-facepalm.jpg

My website...top notch, eh?

Untitled Document

My growth has been steady and continuos, with zero spent on marketing. Reputation, Quality, Expertise, and being better than 80% of the competition is golden. Word of mouth WORKS!

I haven't either. People just come to me (non-photography related) and ask for my help. I think a lot of success has to do with the individual and how they present themselves. Reputation is also gained in the type of work that is produced. You might be lucky enough to nab the customer the first time but if they are not returning (or sending potential customers your way) it's time to re-evaluate the situation.

Those who have said it's wrong to argue with Sabrina, you're absolutely right. I have sat back and loved every delicious bite of the trainwreck because it's just too good, but I broke the cardinal rule of not baiting the bottom feeders. I KNOW it's pointless trying to give some people advice, that they don't care if you actually give them good advice, because they're not here for advice. I've never commented on Sabrina's skill as a photographer, because to be honest, she's not a BAD photographer. Her problem is just that she's one of the most obnxious people on here and she cares way more about the drama than using the information here to help herself. It's HILARIOUS (and a little sad) to watch, but it's just another internet trainwreck, it really isn't worth all this effort. So I can admit I was wrong for sinking to her level, I really just hope that those who are starting out in this career or hobby can glean the good information that's been given out here from the chaff. Because there IS good information out here, it's not just this pointless drama fest that feeds people's egos and clogs up these threads.

And my feelings aren't hurt at all if anyone thinks I don't post enough to my blog ;). I am more than happy to explain to someone who isn't intent on creating drama how local advertising and knowing your market and HOW TO REACH THEM is the most important part of starting a business. To whomever was talking about their husband's business, you are actually AGREEING with me, because the point of being a business owner isn't to do what everyone else is doing, it's to do what works for you and to know your business. And I 100% agree that character, integrity, and honesty are essential parts of being a successful business owner. We can disagree about whether a business plan is also an essential part of running a business, but my approach to business isn't something I just up and decided one day, it was a result of years of research and observation and business classes. Sure, you absolutely can go into business with no preparation, with no business plan, with no idea of how to grow your business and who your target clients are, but especially when it comes to photography these days, you are shooting yourself in the foot before you even start. I really have no desire to teach Sabrina anything about business, but I see people on here every day who are trying to make money with their photography and I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope that they pay attention and give themselves a free education about where you need to START to make this into a successful business.

Other than that, it's just good clean fun entertainment. You have to love the people who will find a reason to scream, degrade, argue, paint themselves as a victim, and feed their egos with the Internet, it would truly not be as amusing of a place otherwise. I mean, there are tons of other forums where these discussions are rational, well thought out, civil exercises. What kinda fun is THAT?! I'd much rather watch Sabrina foam at the mouth! It's totes adorbs.

SabrinaO said:
I've had experienced photographers on here tell me my work is good. I don't know what you are talking about. I don't need any affirmation from you AT ALL because I saw your photograph of a side of a boat(?) and a random shot of ocean buoys. :meh: That tells me you have no clue what makes a good photo. You even admitted to not showing your work because you know how bad it is. So keep wasting your time judging my work... your input/opinion is irrelevant in my eyes.
There us bi ssinf them.Ah yes, the photos I took walking the docks with my family. Was paying more attention to my 2 year enjoying herself looking at the "fish boats" than my actual shooting. I liked the colors of the 'side of the boat." Interestingly enough, after I took that shot, the owner came out and asked to see the image. I showed him and he asked if he could see it on a computer. I sent him a lower res version (figured I'll be nice since he let me shoot his boat) and he offered me $100 for an 8x10. Instead, I cleaned up the shot (removed the beer can, etc.) and just printed one off for free for him. I didn't feel right taking his money, you see, because I actually have a handle on my own skills and abilities.The others, well, never said they were great. I actually don't particularly care for the "random shot of ocean buoys" (actually, its a 'cork line' for the net of a purse seiner). I've since reshot it when I had more time to set up the shot, without the family rushing me along and I'm much more pleased with that result. That's called learning from my mistakes. Another skill, um, certain people should learn.And the last one of the Kestral. I never thought it was particularly good, even when it was shot. It was more of a political statement that anyone in SE Alaska would get. I won't bore you with the intricacies of that one.Now, can you actually critique my work (as I've done for you in the past)? Or are you going to do what you complain about constantly and give negative comments without any actual reasons for it? Keep in mind, I've never said I was some awesome photographer. I, unlike, um others, actually have a clue.
I don't know why you felt the need to explain yourself. There is no excuse for those photos other than they are uninteresting and forgettable. The fact that you actualy went out to reshoot those tired photos shows your lack of creativity along with your lack of photography skill. So no.. I'm not gonna cc them because I would of just trashed them.

And this is the crux of why people don't care for you. You sound like you know it all, yet you continue to come here, to a beginner forum, asking for help, so you can have a successful business. This thread supports my thoughts that you are only really here for the drama. You thrive on it. You are a troll.

Oh and I'll take bets on when the thread locks, just PM me. I'm thinking page 11.

Can I get dibs on page 13? Because it feels like this thing's got some tread on the tires still. Although any drama thread that has a Star Trek double face palm has completed its mission here on Earth.

Hey Gaerek, why are 90% of your photos missing that were once posted, and your website password protected? Scared of ending up on that site? :lol:

He is successful because he knows what he’s doing. It’s called life lessons and thirty years of experience. His success has not been based on the internet, business plans and spreadsheets but honesty, integrity, dedication, and personality. I think we could all learn a little from his character.

Exactly. Despite Sabrina's ignorant statement about those of us who do not have websites or blogs we do somehow manage to get plenty of good work by reputation and word of mouth.

Best,
Helen

My website...top notch, eh?

Untitled Document

My growth has been steady and continuos, with zero spent on marketing. Reputation, Quality, Expertise, and being better than 80% of the competition is golden. Word of mouth WORKS!

Just to add to this...

Word of mouth advertising can grow exponentially.

Online, TV, newspaper, etc adds will only account for the people who actually found your link, saw your spot on the tube, or noticed your add in the paper. Of the people that viewed those advertisements, many will just go to the next.

Theres a difference between someone thinking your advertisement might warrant a purchase and having a family member or possible lifelong friend, someone you trust, give you their personal, honest opinion on where to get the most for your money spent.

GooniesNeverSayDie11 said:
Hey Gaerek, why are 90% of your photos missing that were once posted, and your website password protected? Scared of ending up on that site? :lol:

Websites under reconstruction right now. Lots of broken images as a result of things being moved around. PWd it until I can finish working on it, which with the amount of free time I currently have places it squarely into fall 2012 sometime, lol. Unfortunately my hobby takes a back seat to life, and I'd rather spend my free time shooting/editing than fixing my site. I've posted plenty of images here in the past, so, obviously not scared of anything. Besides, that site only goes after businesses, not individual hobbyists.

Nice try though ;)

He is successful because he knows what he’s doing. It’s called life lessons and thirty years of experience. His success has not been based on the internet, business plans and spreadsheets but honesty, integrity, dedication, and personality. I think we could all learn a little from his character.

Exactly. Despite Sabrina's ignorant statement about those of us who do not have websites or blogs we do somehow manage to get plenty of good work by reputation and word of mouth.

Best,
Helen

I am well aware the best advertisement is WOM and id say about a good chuck of my clients are repeat clients and referrals. This is why i have a referral program, so I know how important word of mouth is...

There us bi ssinf them.Ah yes, the photos I took walking the docks with my family. Was paying more attention to my 2 year enjoying herself looking at the "fish boats" than my actual shooting. I liked the colors of the 'side of the boat." Interestingly enough, after I took that shot, the owner came out and asked to see the image. I showed him and he asked if he could see it on a computer. I sent him a lower res version (figured I'll be nice since he let me shoot his boat) and he offered me $100 for an 8x10. Instead, I cleaned up the shot (removed the beer can, etc.) and just printed one off for free for him. I didn't feel right taking his money, you see, because I actually have a handle on my own skills and abilities.The others, well, never said they were great. I actually don't particularly care for the "random shot of ocean buoys" (actually, its a 'cork line' for the net of a purse seiner). I've since reshot it when I had more time to set up the shot, without the family rushing me along and I'm much more pleased with that result. That's called learning from my mistakes. Another skill, um, certain people should learn.And the last one of the Kestral. I never thought it was particularly good, even when it was shot. It was more of a political statement that anyone in SE Alaska would get. I won't bore you with the intricacies of that one.Now, can you actually critique my work (as I've done for you in the past)? Or are you going to do what you complain about constantly and give negative comments without any actual reasons for it? Keep in mind, I've never said I was some awesome photographer. I, unlike, um others, actually have a clue.

And this is the crux of why people don't care for you. You sound like you know it all, yet you continue to come here, to a beginner forum, asking for help, so you can have a successful business. This thread supports my thoughts that you are only really here for the drama. You thrive on it. You are a troll.

Really? is this coming from you? Take a look at my other threads I reply in. I don't go around looking for it or starting drama. You on the other hand....

GooniesNeverSayDie11 said:

Websites under reconstruction right now. Lots of broken images as a result of things being moved around. PWd it until I can finish working on it, which with the amount of free time I currently have places it squarely into fall 2012 sometime, lol. Unfortunately my hobby takes a back seat to life, and I'd rather spend my free time shooting/editing than fixing my site. I've posted plenty of images here in the past, so, obviously not scared of anything. Besides, that site only goes after businesses, not individual hobbyists.

Nice try though ;)

LIES! :lol:

Really? is this coming from you? Take a look at my other threads I reply in. I don't go around looking for it or starting drama. You on the other hand....

You got the drama going in this thread. What about "Ok, let me explain myself..."?

Keep denying it.

Sabrina, the time you've wasted in this thread would have been better spent proofreading your site...you have a typo on your 'about me' page.

Bitter Jeweler said:
You got the drama going in this thread. What about "Ok, let me explain myself..."?

Keep denying it.

That's a good point. This thread was dead before you reared your ugly head, Sabrina. Please, enlighten us in how you're not here for drama.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back