You are not a Photographer

Internet_argument.jpg

SabrinaO said:
You are just pathetic! LOL...keep on making excuses in why you hide and not show your "work". Business plan? Did I not say I did things ass backwards? I knew NOTHING on running a business when I started photography, but now I am actually seeking the business help I need and signed up with a local SCORE.
Anyways, keep judging and bashing the photographers that actually put out their work for C&C's while you continue to be a coward and hide your work because of what you already know... your work is not good.

At the very least, tell your clients you have no clue what you're doing. Have a little integrity. Under the 'experience' tab on your website, the honest thing to do woul be to say you only picked up a DSLR 9 months ago. And for Gods sake, quit charging them to help you learn. That's disingenuous, and borderline fraud.

As I've said, you are no one to be judging my work, after seeing what you produce. I need no affirmation. I went through the need help and need affirmation stage, oh, 10 years ago. I'll post photos when I want to, not because some wannabe wants me to prove my ability (something I accomplished, with people who actually know what the hell they're doing, years ago). Keep browsing, you'll see my work eventually and then you can try to rip it apart.

I've had experienced photographers on here tell me my work is good. I don't know what you are talking about. I don't need any affirmation from you AT ALL because I saw your photograph of a side of a boat(?) and a random shot of ocean buoys. :meh: That tells me you have no clue what makes a good photo. You even admitted to not showing your work because you know how bad it is. So keep wasting your time judging my work... your input/opinion is irrelevant in my eyes.

But oh well... I'm done with this thread and off to the other ones...

History would indicate that you will, in fact, be back to argue more.

Opinionated about how much you charge? YOUR FACEBOOK PAGE IS IN YOUR SIGNATURE. Do. Not. Even. A $5 print credit? Uh uh. Go sit down and be quiet now and let the grown-ups talk. You need to worry about getting your CD's out on time because your clients want to know where they are. If you don't like someone criticizing your business practices, don't go around talking about how much you know and how fine you are. I can break down my profit per hour, my print profits, conversions to albums, percent of sale online vs. in person proofing, and the growth of my business as a result of word of mouth advertising BY CHARTS. Spreadsheets. 5 and 10 year business plan. You wanna know about my business plan? Because I'VE GOT ONE. You don't need to worry about me. I DIDN'T just launch my business less than a year ago without perfecting my skills to where they need to be to impress clients to pay the session fee for portraiture that is DOUBLE your "normal full session" prices. I have sat here and given you business advice FOR FREE that I spent years figuring out on my own. You really don't need to worry about me. I got mine. Go handle yours.
Haha... Believe me I'm learning as I go. Did I do this ass backwards? I sure did... But I know I'm not the only photographer who realized that being a photographer is the easy part.. and running a biz is what is the most challenging. I can almost bet that most on here went through the same reality check. Anyways, just a tip... maybe you should stop looking at all your charts/spreadsheets and work on your networking and using social media to your advantage. Your "website" is pitiful because it was last updated in may. If you know so much about running a business you would of had some sort of active network going on. You would know how beneficial that is.
Also... You clicked my FB link in my siggy?... see where that takes you...

Just like clockwork... didn't even take that long either

As much as I enjoy the ‘internet entertainment’ I think the horse has been beaten to death. And before I’m totally bashed you should know, I haven’t read all the heated debates. I honestly don’t know all the reasons why Sabrina is constantly hounded other than she likes to argue. Sure her website has a few flaws, her photography is still in the learning stage but I wish I could have picked up a camera this year and done as well as she’s done. I have no doubt that she will have excellent work in the next few years despite the criticism she receives.

I guess I need to go scold my husband for successfully bidding on million dollar projects, not having a decent website, business cards and spread sheets, not to mention the shame of never creating a business plan. I think he definitely needs to go back to square one. *Insert a rage of sarcasm here*

He is successful because he knows what he’s doing. It’s called life lessons and thirty years of experience. His success has not been based on the internet, business plans and spreadsheets but honesty, integrity, dedication, and personality. I think we could all learn a little from his character.

With that said, who really gives a crap what Sabrina does! :confused: Her life, her business...who cares!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
SabrinaO said:
I've had experienced photographers on here tell me my work is good. I don't know what you are talking about. I don't need any affirmation from you AT ALL because I saw your photograph of a side of a boat(?) and a random shot of ocean buoys. :meh: That tells me you have no clue what makes a good photo. You even admitted to not showing your work because you know how bad it is. So keep wasting your time judging my work... your input/opinion is irrelevant in my eyes.

Ah yes, the photos I took walking the docks with my family. Was paying more attention to my 2 year enjoying herself looking at the "fish boats" than my actual shooting. I liked the colors of the 'side of the boat." Interestingly enough, after I took that shot, the owner came out and asked to see the image. I showed him and he asked if he could see it on a computer. I sent him a lower res version (figured I'll be nice since he let me shoot his boat) and he offered me $100 for an 8x10. Instead, I cleaned up the shot (removed the beer can, etc.) and just printed one off for free for him. I didn't feel right taking his money, you see, because I actually have a handle on my own skills and abilities.

The others, well, never said they were great. I actually don't particularly care for the "random shot of ocean buoys" (actually, its a 'cork line' for the net of a purse seiner). I've since reshot it when I had more time to set up the shot, without the family rushing me along and I'm much more pleased with that result. That's called learning from my mistakes. Another skill, um, certain people should learn.

And the last one of the Kestral. I never thought it was particularly good, even when it was shot. It was more of a political statement that anyone in SE Alaska would get. I won't bore you with the intricacies of that one.

Now, can you actually critique my work (as I've done for you in the past)? Or are you going to do what you complain about constantly and give negative comments without any actual reasons for it? Keep in mind, I've never said I was some awesome photographer. I, unlike, um others, actually have a clue.

He is successful because he knows what he’s doing. It’s called life lessons and thirty years of experience. His success has not been based on the internet, business plans and spreadsheets but honesty, integrity, dedication, and personality. I think we could all learn a little from his character.

Exactly. Despite Sabrina's ignorant statement about those of us who do not have websites or blogs we do somehow manage to get plenty of good work by reputation and word of mouth.

Best,
Helen

Seriously.......how in the hell is SabrinaO now in a drag out fight in this thread?! lol Drama?!!!

Top notch entertainment right here :D

Can you guys hold off a little on this fight.......I have to do real work at work til about 1 EST. Thanks in advance!!:greenpbl::lol:

Exactly. Despite Sabrina's ignorant statement about those of us who do not have websites or blogs we do somehow manage to get plenty of good work by reputation and word of mouth.

Best,
Helen

My website...top notch, eh?

Untitled Document

My growth has been steady and continuos, with zero spent on marketing. Reputation, Quality, Expertise, and being better than 80% of the competition is golden. Word of mouth WORKS!

As much as I enjoy the ‘internet entertainment’ I think the horse has been beaten to death. And before I’m totally bashed you should know, I haven’t read all the heated debates. I honestly don’t know all the reasons why Sabrina is constantly hounded other than she likes to argue. Sure her website has a few flaws, her photography is still in the learning stage but I wish I could have picked up a camera this year and done as well as she’s done. I have no doubt that she will have excellent work in the next few years despite the criticism she receives. I guess I need to go scold my husband for successfully bidding on million dollar projects, not having a decent website, business cards and spread sheets, not to mention the shame of never creating a business plan. I think he definitely needs to go back to square one. *Insert a rage of sarcasm here*He is successful because he knows what he’s doing. It’s called life lessons and thirty years of experience. His success has not been based on the internet, business plans and spreadsheets but honesty, integrity, dedication, and personality. I think we could all learn a little from his character.With that said, who really gives a crap what Sabrina does! :confused: Her life, her business...who cares!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks! I love your last line. I don't know why gaerk is so concerned on what I do!

SabrinaO said:
There us bi ssinf them.Ah yes, the photos I took walking the docks with my family. Was paying more attention to my 2 year enjoying herself looking at the "fish boats" than my actual shooting. I liked the colors of the 'side of the boat." Interestingly enough, after I took that shot, the owner came out and asked to see the image. I showed him and he asked if he could see it on a computer. I sent him a lower res version (figured I'll be nice since he let me shoot his boat) and he offered me $100 for an 8x10. Instead, I cleaned up the shot (removed the beer can, etc.) and just printed one off for free for him. I didn't feel right taking his money, you see, because I actually have a handle on my own skills and abilities.The others, well, never said they were great. I actually don't particularly care for the "random shot of ocean buoys" (actually, its a 'cork line' for the net of a purse seiner). I've since reshot it when I had more time to set up the shot, without the family rushing me along and I'm much more pleased with that result. That's called learning from my mistakes. Another skill, um, certain people should learn.And the last one of the Kestral. I never thought it was particularly good, even when it was shot. It was more of a political statement that anyone in SE Alaska would get. I won't bore you with the intricacies of that one.Now, can you actually critique my work (as I've done for you in the past)? Or are you going to do what you complain about constantly and give negative comments without any actual reasons for it? Keep in mind, I've never said I was some awesome photographer. I, unlike, um others, actually have a clue.
I don't know why you felt the need to explain yourself. There is no excuse for those photos other than they are uninteresting and forgettable. The fact that you actualy went out to reshoot those tired photos shows your lack of creativity along with your lack of photography skill. So no.. I'm not gonna cc them because I would of just trashed them.

Bitter Jeweler said:
My website...top notch, eh?

Untitled Document

My growth has been steady and continuos, with zero spent on marketing. Reputation, Quality, Expertise, and being better than 80% of the competition is golden. Word of mouth WORKS!

Your work is stunning, Bitter. My wife is wanting a new ring for a re-affirmation of vows ceremony we want to do in a couple years. I might have to contact you for that. The best part about your website? Simple, no flash! Flash is the devil.

@SabrinaO: What's amazing is out of that entire post, all you get out of it is the one single sentence that has a minor semblance of supporting you. You have no comment for the rest because you know how right it is.

You know what? I wish you and your business luck, because that will be the only major factor that will allow you to be successful.

JWellman said:
As much as I enjoy the ‘internet entertainment’ I think the horse has been beaten to death. And before I’m totally bashed you should know, I haven’t read all the heated debates. I honestly don’t know all the reasons why Sabrina is constantly hounded other than she likes to argue. Sure her website has a few flaws, her photography is still in the learning stage but I wish I could have picked up a camera this year and done as well as she’s done. I have no doubt that she will have excellent work in the next few years despite the criticism she receives.

I guess I need to go scold my husband for successfully bidding on million dollar projects, not having a decent website, business cards and spread sheets, not to mention the shame of never creating a business plan. I think he definitely needs to go back to square one. *Insert a rage of sarcasm here*

With that said, who really gives a crap what Sabrina does! :confused: Her life, her business...who cares!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back