Your favorite wine?

I'm more of a beer drinker, but when I drink wine, I enjoy a nice Cabernet. And Norman Vineyards makes one called the "Monster", which is quite nice. Also quite high on the alcohol percentage.

terri said:
mmmm...Tattinger... :drool:

One of my favorites is a lesser known producer, Nicolas Feuillete. He makes a fabulous non-vintage, entry level rose champagne. Rose is my fave. For some reason I do prefer champagnes that are pinot-based, as opposed to chardonnay-based. It's that red-wine bias again, I guess. :lol:
If you can find it Bruno Paillard rose is wonderful. But I have been told that drinking pink champagne after mid-day is 'jolly bad form'. What do they know. Pink champagne and strawberries anytime, any place, anywhere.

Rather partial to Vin d'Alsace too.

Maybe we should think about organising a TPF wine tasting trip to France...

Right now I'm mostly into Pinot Grigios and Savignon Blanc followed by Chardonany and then Merlots. Not seen a lot of difference between Pinot's. For Savignon Blancs I like Geisen from the Marlboro region of New Zealand. Great wine.

We also are into the half bottles of Champagne. Particularly Veuve Clicquot or Krug. Kind of a nice start but your not too blitzed to move onto a nice wine.

Hertz van Rental said:
Why are Photographers as knowledgeable about, and interested in, alcohol as they are in Photography?
Because the latter can drive one straight to the former at times? :mrgreen:

I would imagine it's because wine is one of those things that our feverish little brains can work on. They do have similarities. You can collect wine, enjoy it immediately or put it aside, buy decanters or beautiful glasses and other peripheral gadgets. It can come from parts of the world that lend themselves well to photography, too. You can study on it and still feel there is something new to try. The list goes on. :thumbup:

terri said:
Because the latter can drive one straight to the former at times? :mrgreen:

I would imagine it's because wine is one of those things that our feverish little brains can work on. They do have similarities. You can collect wine, enjoy it immediately or put it aside, buy decanters or beautiful glasses and other peripheral gadgets. It can come from parts of the world that lend themselves well to photography, too. You can study on it and still feel there is something new to try. The list goes on. :thumbup:
:

:mrgreen: A truly inspired intellectual justification, Terri. Makes me feel quite ashamed of saying I just drink it to get p*ssed.
And are you telling me that some people buy wine and don't drink it immediately? The poor misguided fools...

[I have a serious drinks problem - I just can't get the corks out of the bottles fast enough]

I tried the wine thing awhile back only to find out I really am just a beer guy ;) However, a good, not overly sweet Merlot is pretty good. The only one I ever found that I liked is Blackstone. Every person I've ever given a bottle to always comments on how good it is and where to get more. At only $8-$11USD a bottle, you can't beat that.

Blackstone Winery - Merlot

Hertz van Rental said:
:

:mrgreen: A truly inspired intellectual justification, Terri. Makes me feel quite ashamed of saying I just drink it to get p*ssed.And are you telling me that some people buy wine and don't drink it immediately? The poor misguided fools...

[I have a serious drinks problem - I just can't get the corks out of the bottles fast enough]
As well you should feel ashamed, Hertz. One should always marry an inspired intellectual justification to one's vices. It tends to force people to leave you alone. :sillysmi:

We've got a cellar packed with long-aged wines. Nothing misguided about it. In my retirement years, I will be able to sip on 20-year Bordeaux, Italian super-Tuscans and CdP's without touching my meager income. It's all about taking care of priorities. :lol:

Malachite, I've heard of Blackstone. I think I've had it before, too. I'm always looking for a nice wine that costs less than $15. ;) There are still plenty of them out there if you're willing to look around.

terri said:
As well you should feel ashamed, Hertz. One should always marry an inspired intellectual justification to one's vices. It tends to force people to leave you alone. :sillysmi:
I have found that lying face down in the gutter blind drunk makes people leave you alone as well. Or maybe I just know my place. :lmao:
terri said:
We've got a cellar packed with long-aged wines. Nothing misguided about it. In my retirement years, I will be able to sip on 20-year Bordeaux, Italian super-Tuscans and CdP's without touching my meager income. It's all about taking care of priorities. :lol:
I tried that once - the wine I bought didn't even make it through the night.
Now I intend to marry a wine merchant's daughter - or move next door to an off-licence and buy a hammer and chisel.
But I have put three cartons of grape juice down the back of a radiator as an investment. Should be ready to drink in a few months. With a bit of luck it will be fizzy, too :mrgreen:

(Actually I admire your foresight, planning and self-control. It sounds like a good plan. Although now you have made it public I think you'll have a lot of visitors in the evenings)

Most reactions

Back