Your Photography Experience? (Poll)

Heartlander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Looks like a great forum here!
Looking around, its easy to find some very useful information, indeed.
I've only been photographing seriously for a couple years, and learning on the fly.

So what kind of experience do you have as a TPF member?
What are your primary subjects, and the equipment you use to shoot them?
Thanks!

I’ve been shooting since I was nine and learned from my father and grandfather who were both avid photographers. I specialize in aviation photography but pretty much shoot everything. This past year I have become very interested in nature and bird photography. I have always shot birds and wildlife but now I’m actively looking for shots instead of just stumbling into scenes. Currently I use two D-70s and a combination of Nikon lenses ranging from 28mm to 400mm. I only use Nikon glass.

Eric

I was heavily into photography in high school and college (in the 1980s), but lost touch after graduating and losing easy access to a darkroom. I've been shooting family snaps and travel throughout. I had a bunch of digital cameras when they began appearing. About 4 years ago I got a digital SLR (a Canon D60) and have been investing in lenses and software since then. I recently upgraded to a Canon 5D, and am glad I did. I continue taking intermediate and advanced photography classes (and Photoshop classes) that are offered throughout the LA area.

I started photographing about a year ago while living in China. I just wanted to take some pictures of all the crazy things I was seeing, so I bought a cheap digital point and shoot camera, and got snapping. That developed into an interest in trying to take better and better pictures, which brought me to this fine site. While I didn't use to post very often (as you can see by my post count...), I learned a lot from these guys and last summer bought an old manual 35mm SLR camera to learn the basics of exposure and try to get more into the "art" of photography. Then this year at university I have become active on my school newspaper, which has been really fun. So, in terms of equipment now I have a 35mm manual SLR with a bunch of lenses, a crappy point and shoot, and access to a Rebel XT which is pretty sweet. Most of the time I shoot outdoor landscape type stuff, but I also really enjoy the event shoots I do for the paper (things like concerts and debates). Anyways, enough rambling! Welcome to the forum, it's a great place.

I started very recently with photography... maybe 8-9 months ago. It was when i joined skyscrapercity.com (skyscraper/architecture forum) and saw people post pictures of their cities and what-not.. so i wanted a digital camera so i could do the same.. i went out and baught the Pentax Optio 50. It was good.. but i wanted better.. so 2 months later i traded it in for a Panasonic DMC-LZ2 which had better zoom, but was still not good enough (obviously)... Now, well, a week ago today, i had finally saved up enough to go out and purchased my first DSLR (the Olympus E1 with 14-45mm lens). I love it like crazy!!
I shoot pretty much everything i can; nature, architecture, animals, people, etc. :) Thats pretty much my story...

Welcome to the forum, by the way! :D

My fascination started probably just over a year ago now, although it feels like longer. I got into photography when I decided I just couldn't paint at all. I tend to be quite observant when I'm out and about and I have a love of wanting to capture beautiful things. My first camera was a cheap digicam (apart from disposable film camera's) and I got my decent digi maybe a year ago now. I'll admit I tend to get a bit bored by the specifics of photography, although I am trying to learn. Have just bought myself a 2nd hand film SLR camera which I'm planning to crack on and starting testing out soon. Photography has most definitely become a hobby of mine and a part of my life, and this site just inspires me all the more to carry on with it.

Great question and welcome to TPF!

I've taken pictures since I was quite young. I only really started to get serious about it in the last few years and since then it occupies an awful lot of my spare time. I've enjoyed moderate success, especially with model work and I would maybe like to go f/t pro one day...

Rob

I started when I was 9 - 10 (I'm an old guy) with a Brownie Hawkeye.

Took a couple of years of college classes on photography & art. Joined the Army later in life and was a photographer.

I've been active in photography for over 40 years now. I'm interested in unposed people, street, landscape, and wildlife photography. I learn everyday and being a fairly new forum member myself have picked up some ideas from other members.

Welcome!

i'm a beginner, but i'm pretty serious about really getting into photography, + i know what i'm doing. just got a DSLR today :drool: finally saved up the money!

the battery's still charging tho :grumpy:

I've been taking pictures snapshots ever since I was very young. After getting a digital point and shoot I was ok with the sucess I was having. After seeing "War Photographer" I got an old SLR and did B&W, setup my own darkroom, bought more cameras, etc... Although I take pictures of anything that interests me, my primary focus (no pun intended) is on street photography and photojournalism.

I am just learning and have learned a lot over the past couple of months since I got my DSLR. I have become a little discouraged, because I am not that good, but I keep practicing in hopes that one day I will be good.
I have fidded around with photography for years, but never passionately like I have been recently.

As a child and teen I was really into drawing, painting, sculpture, etc. When I left home at 17 I drifted away from art and "got lost" in life for many years. I did have an Olympus OM-2 in the mid 70's and I experimented with B&W and the darkroom quite a lot. Then nothing for many years. It was when I was on a business/pleasure sailing trip in the Gulf of Mexico that I picked up a used Canon Rebel 2000 and shot some vacation shots. Friends commented how good some were, wanted prints, etc. Felt good to have the creative juices flow again and I really got into it. I now have 5 cameras, have taken the NYIP courses, joined local camera clubs, entered comps and exhibits. I'd like to find a career using computer skills and photography both. Be nice to make some money and enjoy doing it at the same time...

I'm a new member to the forum, however my photography experience is going on 12 years when I obtained a degree in photo journalism. I shoot professionally with my forte being weddings and personal/group portrait. My equipment is all Canon EOS, film and digital which I still use both for different applications. I dont look at photography as a job its fun and intresting meeting new clients and rewarding when clients return. The one thing is that you never stop learning and creating every shoot is different.

Ive taken photos off and on through life and enjoyed it for the most part. My mother bought me a $50 Olympus for christmas a couple of years ago and I go through spurts where I take a ton of photos then go a few months without taking any. My parents told me how good I was and how good of an eye I had but I denied it from the start. At this stage in life I have come to the realization that maybe I do have some talent and while I will not admit to being good and will likely never be on the same level as most here, I have accepted photography as a hobby and something I enjoy very much. I would like to do this fulltime and have decided to drop the college course I was in (Network Administration) despite being 65% finished with the course and persue something in graphics. This might be the smartest decision or the stupidest. Im not sure yet.

My father gave me his old Canon T50 that was used for most of the family photos growing up. I just started using this camera within the last 2 weeks and the first roll of film turned out horribly. Lets hope they improve or my sanity will not hold up.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back