zoom or telephoto lens

jarg007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Im not sure, but i hear they are two different things. I'm looking for a lens that I can shoot portraits as well as sports. I have a nikon d3300 and looking for something not too expensive, what are some good recommendations?

A telephoto is a long focal length lens, a zoom changes length. If the zoom goes to a relatively long length its a telephoto zoom.

Whats your budget?

my budget is probably around $250 or I can wait and maybe push it up to $400 in a few weeks or a month.

The tamron 70-300mm vc usd is fast enough for sports (focus wise) and can be used for portraits at the shorter end(well any length can be used for portraits, but likely better 70-100 ish). Its probably your best option in budget, however the nikon 55-200 mm vr cold also be used. i am assuming you have a kit lens

I'd look at a used Nikon 70-300 VR II. It's a great lens, that's hard to beat. I can upload some examples of the lens with the D3300 if you like. My wife and I both have one. I bought mine new, but my wife's was bought through Keh. It came in nearly flawless condition and works perfectly!

NIKON 70-300MM F 4.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR AUTOFOCUS LENS 67 - KEH Camera

yeah i just have the stock kit lens that came with the camera its a 18-55mm i believe. How is the quality on the tamron, is it decent and working well with a d3300?

I'd look at a used Nikon 70-300 VR II. It's a great lens, that's hard to beat. I can upload some examples of the lens with the D3300 if you like. My wife and I both have one. I bought mine new, but my wife's was bought through Keh. It came in nearly flawless condition and works perfectly!

NIKON 70-300MM F 4.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR AUTOFOCUS LENS 67 - KEH Camera
that'd be great if you would i'd be interested to see the shots!! where do you think i could find a used one?*Edit* NM i saw they are used on that site? Ok I'd look in to that.

Give me a few minutes and I'll upload something. I'll have to see what's on my wife's memory card.

As far as where to get it, I'd order directly from the link. Buying my wife's lens from Keh was my first (and so far only) experience with the company, but I have no complaints and won't hesitate to buy from them again.

one last thing would it be better to get used or just refurbished? Because there are some good deals on refurbished lens's i've been seeing.

Here are a few pictures that were taken with the D3300 and the 70-300 VR II on a trip to the zoo last month. These are 50% original size, and JPEG output. I haven't done anything to them except resize.

_DSC0180b.jpg

_DSC0162b.jpg

_DSC0131b.jpg

The 55-300 will have optics that aren't quite as good as the 70-300. It's also a less complex lens design, if I remember right. As far as used vs refurbished, both have good deals that can be had. I took a look at the link from Amazon, and honestly, it's worth the risk, provided the seller has a good rating and AMOUNT of ratings. Just because one or two people have a good experience, doesn't mean that everyone will. I tend to look at the sellers who have both high ratings and a lot of people (50 or more) saying they're good to deal with.

those pictures are great. There are definitely a lot of lenses to consider ! I'll have to do some more research.

I also have the 70-300mm VR and it has worked fine for some portrait and outdoor sports, even birds if they are not too far away. I've used it now for about five years, so while it might be slightly more than the 55-300mm I think you can get your moneys worth out of the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back