#1 Scouting for a setup

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will cook the same meal tomorrow and photograph it with my camera and lighting, but shot it today with my phone to get some ideas.
1 honey glaze chicken-2.jpg

Which photo do you prefer and any other ideas would be welcome?
2 honey glaze chicken.jpg

Chicken Thighs Wrapped In Bacon With A Honey & Dijon Glaze

Honey is tricky and I will try not to burn any tomorrow ;-)

Added more contrast and saturation as suggested in some other threads.

Thank for any feedback and help.

Last edited:
Out of all the shots you've shown thus far to be honest those are my favorite. The food looks delicious. I still think you should play with angles. Try coming in and shooting straight on. I still feel sometimes that the sides are getting too much attention. That could just be my personal preference coming through though.

As far as the composition goes, what is the main item you like the viewer to see? Or say which item you like to draw viewer attention first? In the above 2 photos, the broccoli at the bottom of the frame get a lot of attention. If I need to choose one, I will choose the first one since the main subject (I assume it is the meat) steal some of the attention back. But my eyes still draw to the broccoli at the bottom.

As for the color, I still think it is a little too yellow for me. And I think maybe try to shoot at a little lower angle.

I think your plate and left edge of rice is being blown out a bit on the left side.

As far as the composition goes, what is the main item you like the viewer to see? Or say which item you like to draw viewer attention first? In the above 2 photos, the broccoli at the bottom of the frame get a lot of attention. If I need to choose one, I will choose the first one since the main subject (I assume it is the meat) steal some of the attention back. But my eyes still draw to the broccoli at the bottom.

As for the color, I still think it is a little too yellow for me. And I think maybe try to shoot at a little lower angle.
This! Dial back the yellow channel a tad, lose the broccoli at the bottom and spread the remaining food out a little more, and you'll be there.

This! Dial back the yellow channel a tad, lose the broccoli at the bottom and spread the remaining food out a little more, and you'll be there.

I think the latter part of this is one of the things that is separating your food images from something I'd expect to see on a professional menu - there's too much food, and it's all stacked on top of itself. The placemat isn't very visually appealing either.

Aside from that, the chicken does look delicious, but it's almost so much the presentation is so simple to me. All the food looks good, and it's just tossed on a plate like your standard family dinner. Room for the subjects to breath, more interesting presentation will set it apart, I think. Maybe try serving on some different plates and what not? I don't know... just an on-looker here.

I had hardly used my new lighting equipment and only used it (I think) today for the first time with the camera and not the phone.
Lighting is not easy but there are some nice shadows I think.
The photo is too contrasty and saturated for my taste but it seems that that is what most people prefer.
I always preferred water colors to oils, so maybe that's the issue.
What do you think?
Honesty is the best way for me to learn.

Thanks

* The honey is better but the chicken is not as nicely laid out as yesterday. The second piece was very small but maybe the picture looks more natural.

chicken wrapped in bacon.jpg

Out of all the shots you've shown thus far to be honest those are my favorite. The food looks delicious. I still think you should play with angles. Try coming in and shooting straight on. I still feel sometimes that the sides are getting too much attention. That could just be my personal preference coming through though.

I will play with angles, but have my plate full with the lighting right now.

Every new angle means different lighting but I will get there.

Thanks for the reply.

I posted today's effort below

Tried in the image that I just posted to give the chicken center stage.
What do you think?
I could have just chicken but that might be very blaah.
Thanks for responding.

The yellow thing is very interesting.

I baked and photographed a pie the other day and thought that it looked too yellow and I couldn't effectively reduce the yellow in either PS or LR

So I wonder about the reason? My Nikon D3300 accentuates yellow?

And if "yes" then what to do about it?

I will try more angles when I better understand my new lighting equipment.

Thanks for replying.

Looking at your recipe I must tell you something doesn't look kosher to me :biglaugh:

On Facebook my posts are public except when they are not kosher.

Then I use a non-kosher group.

My book is really about tips trick and substitutes but it has recipes.

If I made it Kosher I could only see a few books.

Not worried about making a profit but really wanting to help newbie cooks who believe they can't cook.

Would be nice to cover the costs.

But I got your thrust ;-)

I think the latter part of this is one of the things that is separating your food images from something I'd expect to see on a professional menu - there's too much food, and it's all stacked on top of itself. The placemat isn't very visually appealing either.

Aside from that, the chicken does look delicious, but it's almost so much the presentation is so simple to me. All the food looks good, and it's just tossed on a plate like your standard family dinner. Room for the subjects to breath, more interesting presentation will set it apart, I think. Maybe try serving on some different plates and what not? I don't know... just an on-looker here.
Thanks for the comments.
I'm trying to take them all on board.
Lighting is taking 80% of my attention right now and when I get that somewhat under control I will focus more on content.

I just posted a new image.

What do you think?

Looking at your recipe I must tell you something doesn't look kosher to me :biglaugh:

On Facebook my posts are public except when they are not kosher.

Then I use a non-kosher group.

My book is really about tips trick and substitutes but it has recipes.

If I made it Kosher I could only see a few books.

Not worried about making a profit but really wanting to help newbie cooks who believe they can't cook.

Would be nice to cover the costs.

But I got your thrust ;-)
All in good humor :)
I wish you lot of luck on your quest.
I myself on a quest too, to get semi pro and I have a long way to go but MAN, this is exciting times for me :)

Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back