TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.js.net.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Moth-20190915.jpg

Canon 6d, ISO400, Raynox telephoto as tube, Nikon objective, 4x flash, 199 exposures, 8 micron steps. Higher res here: Moth20190915

wow now thats detail at its finest... never knew they could look like fleece

that really looks like pretty high magnification photography.is it just 10 to 1?

that really looks like pretty high magnification photography.is it just 10 to 1?
Very small moth, probably no more than 3mm x axis, and it almost filled the 6d (fullframe) frame/sensor. So I think it would be 10:1. The objective I used was a Nikon 10:1 attached to a Raynox telephoto as a tube.

Really nice work! I've wanted one of those automatic rails for stuff like this for a long while. I've done some manual ones but really fine stuff like this is hard to achieve when you've got to put your hand on the device to turn it yourself.

Really nice work! I've wanted one of those automatic rails for stuff like this for a long while. I've done some manual ones but really fine stuff like this is hard to achieve when you've got to put your hand on the device to turn it yourself.

Thanks for the comment. They're becoming far more affordable, and the software to control them is pretty good. I use Zerene Stacker to operate the camera/rail so it's a touch-free positioning process. 8 micron makes manual positioning impossible! Another aspect worth mentioning is vibration. At 10:1 a car passing in the street with the teenage-driver's newest low-frequency hit booming from the sound system is enough to set the whole model into sympathetic vibration. As a matter of fact, anyone with a d-cup or above in the same room is a definite no-no.

I would love to see a photograph of your set up

Most reactions

New Topics

Back