10-20mm & 200-400mm

JozStalin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Though 10-20mm & 200-400mm lenses mean to produce 2x Zoom, How do they differ from each other? In what type of photography are they Used? Question may be silly but being a photography enthusiasts I want to clarify even my silliest doubts.

With Regards,
Jozeph Stalin

If you know what does it mean "focal length", you could easily answer on the difference by yourself. If not, it is better to start from the beginnings, e.g., from here: Digital Photography Tutorials . I see you are asking many very very basic questions in different threads, there you will find answers for most of them. Plus the tutorials sticky at the top of this forum, of course.

If you know what does it mean "focal length", you could easily answer on the difference by yourself. If not, it is better to start from the beginnings, e.g., from here: Digital Photography Tutorials . I see you are asking many very very basic questions in different threads, there you will find answers for most of them. Plus the tutorials sticky at the top of this forum, of course.

Thanks a lot for spending few moments in Guiding me....

Though 10-20mm & 200-400mm lenses mean to produce 2x Zoom, How do they differ from each other? In what type of photography are they Used? Question may be silly but being a photography enthusiasts I want to clarify even my silliest doubts.
Neither of those lenses will produce a "2x" zoom. The first zooms from 10mm to 20mm (with a DX sensor camera that's about 0.3x to 0.6x or with an FX sensor camera about 0.2x to 0.4x) while the second zooms from 200mm to 400mm (with a DX sensor camera that's about 6x to 12x or with an FX sensor camera about 4x to 8x). The first lens is a wide angle lens and the second is a telephoto lens.

Note that power multipliers ("X" values) are seldom used in photography outside the point-and-shoot realm.

Neither of those lenses will produce a "2x" zoom. The first zooms from 10mm to 20mm (with a DX sensor camera that's about 0.3x to 0.6x or with an FX sensor camera about 0.2x to 0.4x) while the second zooms from 200mm to 400mm (with a DX sensor camera that's about 6x to 12x or with an FX sensor camera about 4x to 8x). The first lens is a wide angle lens and the second is a telephoto lens.

Note that power multipliers ("X" values) are seldom used in photography outside the point-and-shoot realm.

Scott: in the point-and-shoot realm both are indeed 2x zooms. The power multiplier is always referred to the ratio between max and min focal length, not a magnification ratio like in macros (that is, an unuseful measure, but good for marketing :er:).

Scott: in the point-and-shoot realm both are indeed 2x zooms. The power multiplier is always referred to the ratio between max and min focal length, not a magnification ratio like in macros (that is, an unuseful measure, but good for marketing :er:).
Yeah, you are right. I didn't look at it like that and was comparing them to a "Standard" lens, but you are absolutely right. My mistake and thanks for catching it.

Multiplication factors are used for marketing purposes. Camera model A may have a 10-42 lens on it, so the manufacturer touts the spec. of "4.2x zoom". Model B, which costs more, may have an 8-60mm lens, so the manufacturer can justify charging more for it because it has a "7.5x zoom lens" instead of a measly, piddly little 4.2x zoom lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back