Fuji 55-200 - Still Relevant?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've had my 55-200 for a handful of years now, and it's become one of my workhorse lenses for landscape photography. I've enjoyed it so much that I never really gave much thought to replacing it with another option, or even really looked at the 70-300 when it was released. Recently, I came to realize that the MSRP for a new 70-300 is only $100 more than the 55-200, and that they're basically the same size as one another. Shopping new, I think the 55-200 is largely irrelevant, so I'm unsure why Fuji is still producing them.

That being said, on the used market the 55-200 is now selling for VERY low prices, making it a phenomenal value, and keeping it relevant today. I recently made a YouTube video about this exact topic, linked below, for anyone interested, and I'll share some of my favorite images from this lens below.

YouTube Video Link

Has anyone here used both lenses? What are your thoughts?

1.) My own proposal
TPF_Downsize-1.jpg

2.) Local Cidery at Sunrise
TPF_Downsize-2.jpg

3.) Misty Morning
TPF_Downsize-3.jpg

4.) Adirondack Sunrise
TPF_Downsize-4.jpg

5.) Fog in The Valley at Golden Hour (Adirondacks)
TPF_Downsize-5.jpg

6.) My Wife and I on Grace Peak in the Adirondacks. Behind us are Giant Mountain on the left and Rocky Peak Ridge on the right. All three are ADK "46ers" meaning that these are 3 of the 46 peaks taller than 4,000ft in the Adirondacks. My wife and I are over half way done with climbing all of them.
TPF_Downsize-6.jpg

I was curious so I looked......FYI.....

New at B&H $699.
Used on eBay, $300-450. (97 results for "Fuji 55-200")
Used on KEH, 1-listed for $430.

I was curious so I looked......FYI.....

New at B&H $699.
Used on eBay, $300-450. (97 results for "Fuji 55-200")
Used on KEH, 1-listed for $430.

Yes - you can get copies in the low to mid $300 range reliably. These screenshots are from my video research.

I've seen copies selling on Facebook marketplace in some of the Fuji buy/sell groups for as low as $250-275.

In comparison, the cheapest 70-300 I could find was $669, with most used copies going for more like $690-740. In my opinion, the 70-300 isn't worth double the price unless you REALLY need the extra reach.
Used Pricing-3.jpg

Used Pricing-1.jpg

The 70-300 is my favorite lens. It lives up to the hype. You want it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back