10-20mm vs 4.5mm

janok

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photo4dummies.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Two pictures from the harbor area in Oslo (Aker Brygge). One is taken with a Sigma 10-20mm and the other with the Sigma 4.5mm.
The fish-eye can create some cool effects, but there are several trade-offs. The 4.5mm use just 1/3 of the CMOS real-estate and it there is somewhat brutal process to unfold the picture from a circle to a square format. This could reduce the sharpness significantly. Below you see the results. Let me know what you think.

Aker Brygge - Sigma 10-20mm by janokiese, on Flickr

Aker Brygge Sigma 4.5mm by janokiese, on Flickr

I like how you treated the 4.5 in post. Even losing a lot of data, you can still end up with a great shot.

How about posting the original 4.5mm shot for comparison?

I dont like the curved look of a fisheye. Its about as bad as the bad look of a lensbaby. Both are gimmicky lenses that on very rare occasions might add interest to a photo. But that is rare. The comparison you show here is interesting. To capture the whole shape of the water the fisheye was necessary. I have a 10-20mm Sigma and find it an excellent lens with little distortion that is easily fixed.

Cool! Does that 4.5mm give you a circle formed image with black corners?

The fish eye perspective is something I like in really cramped placed. I remember janok showing the inside of a train compartment or something in a museum - very cool.

I see. Those circle frames could be nice at times, I'd imagine, if the entire thing was cropped to a square format..

Most reactions

Back