10 Hours & Huntington Beach SP. (picture heavy)

matthewo

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I have been before many years ago before I was into wildlife photography. So recently I have been waiting for a good time to return to take some photos of birds. Huntington SP is known to be one of the best locations for birding in South Carolina, and now I know why. The diversity is amazing, there is a 1/4" causeway that divides a tidal marsh from a brackish water pond, wading birds love to fish both sides. There are other locations including the beach, but I found the most luck to be walking up and down the causeway.

It begins at 3:00PM on Thursday

This snowy egret was working the tidal marsh at low tide, using his foot to stir up small fish, notice the water making a neat curve as the bird shakes it head
1)
snowy_2.jpg

The same snowy going in for a small fish
2)
snowy_1.jpg

Juvi night heron flying by in the late sun
3)
nighth_1.jpg

A great blue heron flyby soon after
4)
heron_5.jpg

Went over to the pond side and got this scape shot of the marsh grass
5)
scape1.jpg

back over to the tidal side to see this yellow leg in the dwindling light -caption "hey I look good"
6)
yellowleg.jpg

Back over to the pond side to capture the last image of Thursday a nice sunset.
7)
sunset1.jpg

ok bright and early start, back to the park to capture the sunrise on the beach, it was rather cloudy and I didn't get a photo I was very happy with of the sunrise.

I did take this photo of some sandpipers(I think, my shore bird knowledge is not great) on the beach with the reflection of the rising sun
8)
sunrise1.jpg

Then back over to the causeway to capture more wading birds, here are a few, a great blue heron I was looking down on filling the frame
9)
heron_4.jpg

a great blue heron perched in a tree
10)
heron_1.jpg

Saw this egret grabbing a ton of small fish
11)
gw_1.jpg

12)
another juvi night heron did a close flyby and landed.
nighth_2.jpg

13)
nighth_3.jpg

14) I have been caught
nighth_5.jpg

Off to lunch and came back to find a king fisher sitting on a post, this first one was shot from a car.
15)
kf3.jpg

this was actually shot a different time but I will put it here
17)
kf5.jpg

This mocking bird was quite the poser, I think it was feeling left out as it stood near the start of the cause way, as nobody really cared to take his photo because other birds were more important...
18)
mocking_1.jpg

Last edited:
I walked the beach a bit, and found a couple of these plovers?(like I said im not great with shore birds)
19)
beachpipe1.jpg

Then I saw the eagle come in while near the causeway and ran over to photograph it
20)
eagle2.jpg

21)
eagle3.jpg

22)blast off
eagle1.jpg

these two ibis were great subjects, these are full frame photo I was within maybe 15 feet
23)
ibis1.jpg

24)
ibis2.jpg

Great egret in flight, I just loved the reflection on the bottom of the wing
25)
egret_1.jpg

finish off with 2 Great blue heron reflections
26)
heron_2.jpg

27)
heron_3.jpg

Thanks for looking, I know a ton of photos, but I tried to keep it diverse.

Last edited:
wow are these photos real......... or am I there in person..GORGEOUS

It was a lot... and worth every minute to see the diversity of species so well photographed. Thanks for sharing.

WOW! Thanks so much for sharing!!! This is the time when I look out the window- see all the snow and ice and.... *sigh*

As always, awesome images! I am super jealous, it's like a barren wasteland up here lately.. My only thought is on the GBH in the trees, there is a leaf or something behind it's head that really caught my eye.. Maybe a quick clone? Just a tiny nit-pick they are all A+++++

thanks kris, your right I did kind of notice that, but I guess I was in a rush.

it was almost 80 deg that day and I was hot in a golf shirt and jeans

Thank you for sharing your amazing photons and providing me some inspiration to get out there and shoot.

Great set. Really like them all but #27 stands out to me.

I love the colors and lighting on 10. Nice set.

Jake

Most reactions

Back