100-400L is series 1

shipshooter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello forum members..
I ended up purchasing the Canon 100-400L IS for use with my 60d. I used it at minor league baseball game and took some bird shots, the results were fair and it will take some getting use to. I will post a few in the coming days. Just as I read in some other threads, it takes some getting use too while hand holding, it does not help that I shake occasionally due to a health condition. Im excited to have it and hope it serves me well. Im glad I am a member and have the use of site to read all the good info at my disposal.

Hi Shipshooter. The IS on that lens works pretty well. Looking forward to seeing your shots.:)

Handheld at longer telephoto lengths with bigger, heavier lenses gets quite problematic. I strongly suggest you purchase a monopod for extra stability. A tripod would be better, but they limit your mobility in the stands or in the field.

Hello forum members..
I ended up purchasing the Canon 100-400L IS for use with my 60d. I used it at minor league baseball game and took some bird shots, the results were fair and it will take some getting use to. I will post a few in the coming days. Just as I read in some other threads, it takes some getting use too while hand holding, it does not help that I shake occasionally due to a health condition. Im excited to have it and hope it serves me well. Im glad I am a member and have the use of site to read all the good info at my disposal.

it does take some practice but if you shoot daytime sports at high shutter speeds you will probably not need a monopod except for help in holding the weight

60D
Canon 100-400 (orig)

16939713215_dd1a7ef7a3_b.jpg

grab a cheap monopod. It would help with your steadiness without being too heavy and cumbersome.

I don't shoot with that particular lens, but I do shoot a Tamron 150-600. The weight of this lens is enough to almost throw you forward while shooting fully extended. I found a monopod is great for being mobile with the longer lenses. Usually, I shoot off a heavy tripod, with a gimbal head.

Is the canon 100-400 good

been fine for me in daylight, does not do well under MLB baseball stadium lights. Its as bright as daylight but will take me sometime to make that work.
As far as monopod mounted i shut i.s. off and performed fine

Thanks so much mate

Congrats on the purchase, that was the first L series lens for me and I love it for sports!

Congrats on the purchase, that was the first L series lens for me and I love it for sports!

the old pump is good for other things besides baseball

22050003814_4f4e4c9c2b_b.jpg

Most reactions

Back