What's new

10000 & 1 pictures, what do you think?

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Messages
2,894
Reaction score
435
Location
Belgium
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Zonsopgang by miranfoto, on Flickr

This is a 24h timelapse i did as per request of other users who wanted something longer.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's very cool and very well done...but a bit too long. The transition periods were really interesting, of course, and the nighttime portion yielded surprising things like seeing the planes shooting across like meteors. The daytime portions were too long. If you wanted the full 24hours, I'd speed it up more. If you don't mind cutting out some of the hours, I'd edit some of the daytime sections. I don't know enough of how this is done, but can you speed up some parts and then slow down for the transitions? The sky in the earlier daytime portion was really nice - good clouds - but the portion at the end of the video was kind of boring because the light was dull and the clouds were uninteresting.

Good work, though! :)
 
How many batteries did you go through?
How much memory? SD cards
and what software did you use to stitch these together ?
 
I think it's very cool and very well done...but a bit too long. The transition periods were really interesting, of course, and the nighttime portion yielded surprising things like seeing the planes shooting across like meteors. The daytime portions were too long. If you wanted the full 24hours, I'd speed it up more. If you don't mind cutting out some of the hours, I'd edit some of the daytime sections. I don't know enough of how this is done, but can you speed up some parts and then slow down for the transitions? The sky in the earlier daytime portion was really nice - good clouds - but the portion at the end of the video was kind of boring because the light was dull and the clouds were uninteresting.

Good work, though! :)

I agree with everything you said, i'm still trying to figure out how to edit my videos properly and i will of course make improvements as i become more experienced with video editing. I wanted also to cut the end part out, but it wouldn't have been a 24h if i did. I will now work on trying to figure out how to speed up parts of the video because i think that is a great suggestion. At the end of course when i knew i had enough battery life and memory i fell asleep, wich is why it kept going because i had to be up and constantly tend to my camera for the 24h that i was taking pictures.


How many batteries did you go through?
How much memory? SD cards
and what software did you use to stitch these together ?

I used after effects to align the 10000 raw pictures. Well i lost count to be honest, i was filling up my cards and using up my batteries like there was no tomorrow. It took me a week to process this little 10 minute video.
 
It's wayyyyyyyyyy too long. I just about went insane watching it. I turned the music up loud and went and made a piece of toast. By the time it was done and I came back out, it was still daylight, clouds still moving by. There needs to be a lot more "action"...if I wanna see 10,00 frames strung together, I would rather have it show me three or four days' time span than one partly sunny day...
 
Honestly, I didn't make it a 2 minutes into it.

But time-lapse is a cool thing to dabble with. Good job experimenting.
 
It's wayyyyyyyyyy too long. I just about went insane watching it. I turned the music up loud and went and made a piece of toast. By the time it was done and I came back out, it was still daylight, clouds still moving by. There needs to be a lot more "action"...if I wanna see 10,00 frames strung together, I would rather have it show me three or four days' time span than one partly sunny day...

Now you know how i felt making this video. :-P Don't worry, i have all of this in raw format, i can go back and do very big changes as i get somewhat of a foothold making these little clips. Your critiques are appreciated and will help me get better at it.
 
I'm gonna make one of the moon one of these nights

That is great. Use spot metering to get the correct exposure then set it to manual so nothing changes. I would also set the interval between shots at 1 or 3 seconds, because the moon moves pretty fast. You can check out my other timelapse i posted on the moon. And here is a calender so you know what size you want your moon to be in your shot: Moon Phases and Lunar Calendar for Grand Rapids, Michigan
 
Yes, I'm pretty used to photographing the moon and stars. Thanks for the tips.

I use an iPhone app to know the phases and times of the moon in the sky, and the planets. It's called "Planets" from Dana Peters. It's a pretty kewl app.
 
I just realized this is kinda how they made those Gumby shows .. not time lapsed but using those techniques to put together the films.
 
Yes, I'm pretty used to photographing the moon and stars. Thanks for the tips.

I use an iPhone app to know the phases and times of the moon in the sky, and the planets. It's called "Planets" from Dana Peters. It's a pretty kewl app.

That's great. I have never seen the need to buy a smartphone, but that actually sounds great.
 
Yes, I'm pretty used to photographing the moon and stars. Thanks for the tips.

I use an iPhone app to know the phases and times of the moon in the sky, and the planets. It's called "Planets" from Dana Peters. It's a pretty kewl app.

That's great. I have never seen the need to buy a smartphone, but that actually sounds great.
It has a feature too where you point it into the sky and it will show you what's up there. So you can point it around the sky to see where a certain planet is. Even if you point it down to the ground. you can follow the planets "orbits" or stars in the sky. Neat free app.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom