105 or 150mm marco lens??

Devananda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
really like the idea of having a marco lens in my collections of glass.
I think I got it down to two chooses:
the sigma 105/F2.8
and the 150/F2.8
any thoughts?
:thumbdown: :thumbup:

Both are optically very good, however the 150mm has had some great reviews and may be Sigma's best tele macro. Of course the more important question is, which focal length would you consider more useful? Some like the extra distance from subject of a 150 or 180 - maybe a better choice for insects and other tiny subjects likely to move if you get close - but personally I find shorter telephotos useful for more purposes.

As for other options, I'd suggest looking at the Tamron 90mm or 180mm macros, and the Tokina 100mm macros, which are of a similar price to comparable Sigmas.

yes I here you about the extera reach with the 150 or even the 180 but it's like around $200 US for the extera 45mm....for the 150 and even more for the 180mm.
anyone out there use theses lenses?? if you got the 105 do you wish you had the 150 or 180??
thanks

I used the Tamron 90mm and am getting the latest version. I never felt much need for a longer macro with 35mm film - at least not enough to outweigh the advantage of having a shorter tele that was also great for portraits... so I expect the same to be true with digital. But that's just me, and I generally shoot fairly stationary or slow subjects.

Most reactions

Back